[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Version 1.00 of the redring package has now been released!

By default, the only visible indication that a recording is in progress in standby is a very small and dim REC icon on the front screen and even that doesn't appear if you have power saving turned on. It has been a commonly requested feature to be able to see when a recording is in progress. I've read that early versions of the firmware did change the LED ring colour when recording in standby but that this was subsequently removed.

The redring package changes the behaviour of the Humax front panel and is configurable through the standard web interface settings page. The changes are:
  • when the box is in standby and recording, the LED ring will change to a red colour, just as it would were the box fully powered up. The brightness of the LEDs is configurable and defaults to full brightness (the same brightness level seen during powered on recording);
  • optionally, when the box is recording two programmes (whether in standby or not), the ring will change to a purple colour;
  • optionally, when the box is in standby but awake waiting to record, the ring will change to a dim blue colour;
  • optionally, scrolling text on the front panel LCD screen can be disabled;
  • optionally, a clock can be shown on the front panel LCD when not in standby.

Additionally, since redring has access to information regarding what is being recorded, it provides additional information that is used to improve the current activity information shown at the top of each web page.

See http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Redring for a nice table of the various options and how they differ from the Humax defaults (thanks Ezra!)

Last edited:
I have been watching the 'Red Ring' threads with great interest, but to be honest, having read the comments it was clear that things weren't going too smoothly. Normally I jump in feet first and install 'whatever is going' and usually regret it later. This time, as my Hummy is really running sweet, I didn't want to 'break it'.

I am, as ever, grateful to the efforts of others for transforming the humble Hummy, into something very much better.

If this version works as well as the last test version, it should be fine.:)

Indeed, that's why I have now installed it. Thanks for your hard work.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Great addition to the box!

One thing I have noticed though is when the box is on (not sure if this is the case when the box is in standby) and recording another channel, when you login to WebIf, instead of it saying you are recording a programme, it says you are watching it!

No issue for me, but thought I would point it out.

Great addition to the box!

One thing I have noticed though is when the box is on (not sure if this is the case when the box is in standby) and recording another channel, when you login to WebIf, instead of it saying you are recording a programme, it says you are watching it!

Does this happen every time for you? I don't recall having this issue myself, but will look out for it in future and report back.

Does this happen every time for you? I don't recall having this issue myself, but will look out for it in future and report back.

Hi Brian, I do remember this issue dis happen on an earlier version, where it would keep changing the colour of the ring and as such WebIf changed icons, but now the ring colour stays red, but the play icon is shown in WebIf.

I have tried this with one box recording from standby, and one box recording whilst on, and each correctly showed the box recording in webif.

Looks pretty good so far but there are a couple of minor issues (I have all redring options enabled).

When powering up (using the rear switch) the ring becomes blue and the display shows the clock as if fully on but there is no picture displayed until the power button is pressed. Without redring it powers up into half awake mode not standby.

If powering up after a total lockup, the box is then fully awake but the clock has not been set so the clock starts from 0:00 and counts up. I expect that this may be difficult to test since it is not a very good idea to power down the box using the rear switch when fully on.

Interesting symptoms - the second one makes some sense as I don't think the Humax sets the panel clock until it goes into standby for the first time. I'll have a look at the first when I get a minute, although it's not something that most people will see that often : )

Actually thinking about the first problem, it is probably the correct redring behaviour since it is half awake. It is just that there is no recording due, so it seems a little odd - probably more of a bug in the Humax app.

This shouldn't be related to redring. Webif just looks at what files are open and whether they are growing - growing means recording else playing. Perhaps they aren't growing fast enough for it notice in the brief look that webif does?

Actually thinking about the first problem, it is probably the correct redring behaviour since it is half awake. It is just that there is no recording due, so it seems a little odd - probably more of a bug in the Humax app.
Yes, sounds right. The other symptom should only matter for those people who have enabled the 'clock' option in the redring settings.

I have had a couple of small issues with one box, this morning there was no START SYSTEM message on the display when powering up from standby, and yesterday the box was in standby when the ring went Blue before an AR recording as expected, but this time it was bright Blue and I also got a full brightness START SYSTEM message but the box didn't fully start up, and went back to the normal dim clock display with dim Blue ring shortly afterwards. I have not noticed the latter behaviour previously, and wonder if anyone else has seen the same thing?

Back