Regional News on BBC ONE HD

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Newswatch on Breakfast this morning had a query about why the regional news programmes are not available on HiDef, and the answer given was broadly that although this is a priority it will be expensive to implement across the 15 regions.

Are other regional programmes carried on BBC ONE HD, or does it default to the broadcast for the London region (like on Breakfast)?

Breakfast on my Tx (Hastings) switches to regional. It's a pain having to switch HD-SD-HD whilst eating my crispy crunchy purple hearts.

Are other regional programmes carried on BBC ONE HD, or does it default to the broadcast for the London region (like on Breakfast)?
The Inside Out slot carries a selected region, different every week. Can't remember about the Sunday Politics slot. The other bulletins/programmes have the red loop.
It's a pain having to switch HD-SD-HD whilst eating my crispy crunchy purple hearts.
Perhaps you should try a different cereal then?

I do wonder why this is such a big deal for people. How do they cope with watching any other programme that is not on BBC1 HD such as Coronation Street, Big Brother etc?

It's no big deal for me, but possibly some of my bias towards StDef services is because the HiDef broadcasts are not consistent (along with the size of HiDef files and the need for a fast network to shift them around, and that most of the time I'm not bothered about seeing every wrinkle in Alex Lovell's face).

The purility of the general public gives me great pessimism for the future of civilisation.

The Inside Out slot carries a selected region, different every week. Can't remember about the Sunday Politics slot. The other bulletins/programmes have the red loop.

Perhaps you should try a different cereal then?

Black bombers or blues would indeed add variety to his breakfast.

There has been a regional programme in the East Midlands (not sure about West Midlands) and from BBC1 Yorks and Lincs about the "Real Peak Practice". At the same time on BBC ONE HD was Room 101. Looks like a default to London to me.

That's often what I do and watch it in fuzzyvision. But perhaps that's because of my choice of breakfast cereal.

I have been told Freesat is now carrying BBC ONE regional programmes in HiDef (or will soon). I guess that means they have a different service per region, and in fact you could take any region you like?

Whatever, it seems to me like there are steps being taken towards regional terrestrial BBC ONE HD.

Whatever, it seems to me like there are steps being taken towards regional terrestrial BBC ONE HD.
Which will come first regional terrestrial BBC ONE HD or more demands from the Daily Mail and the culture secretary that the BBC should slim-down/close down/become a subscription service?

I've just discovered ITV HD in my area is carrying Central news and weather instead of West, so I guess BBC aren't so far out of step after all.

ITV only have macro-regions for HD. The BBC currently have one big macro-region for the whole of England.

One solution on Freeview would have been to include some meta data in the EIT data and get the TV to change channel automatically when regional news is on, with a similar flag to switch it back. It would need the DVB tuner to remember it is auto switched though so it would not switch back to the HD version if the viewer was already on the regional SD channel to avoid them suddenly being taken to the HD version which they may not want.

Back