Remapping buttons on the remote control ?

JonasCz

I recently got a Foxsat-HDR. I've installed Raydon's custom fimware, and it works great.

However, it didn't come with a remote, so now I'm using a combination of a universal remote (A silvercrest, to be specific, not sure what model), which does not control all functions (pause, fast forward, opt+, media..), and the web interface remote plugin for things my universal remote does not do. Unfortunately, this solution is not really great, and I don't wan't to buy a new remote for it.

So is there any way to "remap" the buttons on the remote to access these functions ? I.e. use the number buttons to do things like pause, media, and so on ?

Could this be done similar to the way the webif remote injects button presses, just that in this case, one would "intercept" button presses from the real remote, and send other button presses to the humax settop application instead ?

TBH you would be better off ditching the Silvercrest and treating yourself to a Harmony 350.

Silvercrest is a brand of Aldi or Lidl. I have one in stock somewhere, in case I need it, but I have never used it and I agree with gomezz - you would be much better off with a decent universal handset that can have individual buttons assigned. It is also not impossible to obtain a replacement original handset (RM-F01?). Or stick with the smartphone.

The HDR-FOX CF has the ability to reassign buttons through the ir package, using a "custom map file" (WebIF Settings page). Doesn't the equivalent Foxsat function do the same?

I agree with gomezz - you would be much better off with a decent universal handset
But the OP does not want another control.
The HDR-FOX CF has the ability to reassign buttons through the ir package, using a "custom map file" (WebIF Settings page).
Does that actually reassign the buttons on the RC handset or just the WebIF virtual handset?

Is the answer to the OP's question Yes or No?

But the OP does not want another control?
If that is a feeling based on using the crappy cheap universal they have then a good universal will be a revelation by comparison and should not be an option to be totally dismissed.

Agreed. And a decent Harmony will replace multiple handsets, so the total (active) in-use handset count will decrease not increase.

The HDR-FOX CF has the ability to reassign buttons through the ir package, using a "custom map file" (WebIF Settings page). Doesn't the equivalent Foxsat function do the same?
No, it doesn't. It's necessarily a completely different implementation At present, the Foxsat remote can only inject codes and it can't see codes from the real control either.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Does not change my advice though especially as we don't know, or are interested in knowing, either way.

If using the crappy one is as frustrating as I suspect day in, day out I would make a big effort to afford a 350.

Gomezz can I ask if your Harmony 350 can cope with 4 Humax pvrs using different modes ? Reading other posts only found others using two boxes.

Wow that's a lot of responses :)

Why not just use the smartphone virtual remote all the time?

It's not really an option - my parents would definitely not want to use a smartphone.

Regarding that universal remote: it's actually not that crappy - it works great for everything else I have, and has fancy features like "learning" from other remotes, backlit buttons and an LCD display, so I'm quite happy with it. And yes, financial constraints are involved too, I'm 18 and don't want to pay more for a remote than I did for the box itself :)

No, it doesn't. It's necessarily a completely different implementation At present, the Foxsat remote can only inject codes and it can't see codes from the real control either.

Any more details on how it works ? What makes the Foxsat different from the other boxes, and would an implementation which can intercept / see codes from the real remote be theoretically possible ?

Gomezz can I ask if your Harmony 350 can cope with 4 Humax pvrs using different modes ? Reading other posts only found others using two boxes.
I have one of the more expensive Harmony remotes but the answer is that the database has full codes for the first two modes but only a basic set of codes for the last two modes. I can't remember which user contacted Harmony to do the first two - I thought it was you? In any case you can teach the Harmony any missing codes using the original remote then submit that to Harmony for inclusion on their database for the benefit of others.

I have one of the more expensive Harmony remotes but the answer is that the database has full codes for the first two modes but only a basic set of codes for the last two modes. I can't remember which user contacted Harmony to do the first two - I thought it was you? In any case you can teach the Harmony any missing codes using the original remote then submit that to Harmony for inclusion on their database for the benefit of others.

Thanks for that. It wasn't me. My Harmony broke around 12 months or so ago. Not got round to replacing it yet. I will e-mail logitech support and report what they say.

Regarding that universal remote: it's actually not that crappy - it works great for everything else I have, and has fancy features like "learning" from other remotes, backlit buttons and an LCD display, so I'm quite happy with it.
That one has obviously passed me by! The one I have in stock (for just in case) is years old and of the crappy variety.

Any more details on how it works ? What makes the Foxsat different from the other boxes, and would an implementation which can intercept / see codes from the real remote be theoretically possible ?
IIRC, the Humax software on the Foxsat uses a message queue to send IR codes from the module that controls the receiver to the main set-top process. It was therefore relatively straightforward to inject additional messages into that queue (open, write, close). To read/intercept/modify the codes in the queue would require a software patch or some form of interposition onto the set-top process. It's theoretically possible but decidedly non-trivial (although this is what was required to achieve IR injection on the HDR Fox T2).

Back