Reminiscing...

Slide rules, a lost skill! Remember books of tables, too? Those were the days...

Off the top of my head, courtesy of a 'competition' a school friend and I had:
Not sure who won now.

Damned memory. Why can't it remember 'important' stuff?

Slide rules: like pencil & paper arithmetic, a lost skill. Both my sister and me were required to supply one for school (we went to the town grammar); I broke mine and (somewhere buried in all my "stuff") now have hers.

What people generally fail to appreciate is that (except for financial calculations) the result from a slide rule is to sufficient precision for many purposes.

Last edited:
My slide rule is just next to this computer in a little used part of the desk. Covered in years of dust! Broke the cursor on it, but managed to get a replacement. At least the batteries haven't worn out and corroded. :)
:geek:
I could only remember it to ...5359. Accurate enough for Fourier Transform subroutines in Fortran.
Used to be able to remember ε0 , μ0 and c to a similar number of dp. Probably can't now. (8.85419 E-12, 4E-7 x π, 2.99793E8). Having compared my memory () with reality, it seems I can.
Damned memory. Why can't it remember 'important' stuff?
Ditto!

Last edited:
Old calculators usually have corroded batteries in them.
I've recently found mine from 1976. The terminals are corroded but the batteries aren't there. Time to do some scraping...

I've also recently found some in a radio - HP2 as we used to call them - must be well over 30 years old as the expiry date is 01-86.
Two of them read 1.45 and 1.53V - these are National Hi-Top (i.e. Matsushita aka National Panasonic aka Panasonic) - no leaks, but can't get more than 0.5mA out of them.
The Ever (not) Ready ones read 0.4-0.7V and are all corroded.
...my sister and me were...
Oh BH. :eek:

I still have a simple Sharp Elsimate EL-8005S, purchased when VAT was introduced in 1973. Takes four AA batteries and still works. Looks like a small brick!

Did anyone else buy one of those cylindrical/spiral slide rules? I still have mine in its original black box.

715_big.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I remember those though I don't think I ever saw one in the flesh. You should run it up to the Antiques Road Show :)

Back