Reminiscing...

I built an Acorn Atom in the early 80s and learned 6502 machine code, which I later ported some into a home built BBCB a bit later in the 1980s

I built a Sinclair Scientific from a kit in the early 1970s. I haven't seen it for years,
I started building the standard Cambridge from kits, (this one is from 1973) and moved onto building the Scientific for colleagues, I never owned the Scientific as the Reverse Polish Notation was only useful for catching out the uninitiated looking for the 'Equals' key

sinc-cam.jpg

I had an early scientific calculator in the mid 70's, must still have it somewhere 'cos I never throw anything out! I was particularly pleased because it had a green display. I remember it cost quite a lot.

What I don't think is adequately appreciated is how difficult it must have been to get all those algorithms for log & trig functions (etc) programmed to generate 15-digit accuracy into such a tiny amount of program memory (or hard-wired?) and produce the answers in a fraction of a second.

I have heard they use "Cordic Functions" to achieve this, and it fascinates me but I have no idea how it works.

Heck. I think I built one of the Sinclair kits; but I think it was the basic calculator with the tiny red LED display with magnifying lenses in front. Or am I remembering something else?

God, I must stop reading this thread - it's making me feel my age :(

:o_O: This, from the person who is always telling others to delete unwatched recordings from their disks.:confused: :D
Don't do as I do, learn from my mistakes.

If you could see* my mountain of "things I might want one day, but probably never will"... I need to slim down, but resent the time it would require.

I admire the discipline of the minimalists, but also wonder how anyone can lead a fulfilling life that way!

* No, I do not intend to post a photo!

I admire the discipline of the minimalists, but also wonder how anyone can lead a fulfilling life that way!
It's very fulfilling - fulfilled with smug satisfaction :D

Actually, being blessed with a poor memory my declutter rule is simple ... When I come across something I'd forgotten I had I get rid of it. (On the basis that if I'd needed it I wouldn't have known I had it to use.)

Does anyone remember their first experience? I remember being in a pushchair and rumbling over block paving, the sort that was black and had deep grooves. I think I remember falling out of my cot, but am not so sure. I did climb the side and fall, but could have invented the memory.??

Does anyone remember their first experience?
I doubt anyone can remember their first experience. After all, when does a human actually become sentient?

There are many things from my early years that I know happened (photographic evidence, operation scars etc.) but I have no recollection of.
I do recall getting lost, with another tyke of the same age, cycling on one of those silly trikes with the pedals on the front wheel. But, I was told about this, so is it an invented memory?

Does anyone remember their first experience?
As Phil implies, the question is a bit flawed. I remember the first event in my life that I remember, and it was confirmed. It's a bit hard to explain the actual event here but I never said anything about it to anyone until I was well into adulthood, as I thought it was probably just some oddity. However, when I did eventually mention it my mother was astonished as she also remembered it but never imagined I would - apparently I was 2 years old.
My 'chronological' memories, ie, events I can place on something like an order, don't begin till about age 6.

OK, badly worded, I hold my hands up. What is the earliest thing you can remember, and how old were you? Some say we have no memories before age 3, we falsely remember things we were told about repeatedly.

Exactly. I don't know whether my earliest memories have been implanted. I have a friend of 82 however, who appears to have very clear recollections from her early life (which involves becoming stranded as a British subject in Paris when the Germans marched in).

Back