Remote control conflict with Freesat 4k Recordable box

Basjoe

My HDR-FOX-T2 continues to give me great service after all this time, and the customised firmware has made it a great asset. But when you have a UHD TV, an extra set of HD channels that you get on Freesat becomes tempting. I had a dish installed yesterday, and bought the Freesat 4k recordable box. The intention is to run Freeview and Freesat services side-by-side, each connected by HDMI into my UHD TV.

I was surprised to find that either of the remote controls for the Hummy and the Freesat 4k box seem to control both boxes simultaneously, or at least a subset of their respective functionalities. It's quite irritating actually, because you can never predict what the state of either box will be when you switch over to its HDMI port. There is a way to change the HUMAX remote's frequency by holding "0" and ENTER together for about 10 seconds. You then have a choice of 6 settings. I've tried all 6. Not a jot of difference. The Freesat box has a similar offering. I've tried all those as well. So I'm guessing that there must be some code embedded in the IR signal (maybe a device id ?) that both boxes share and cannot be overridden.

Anybody know anything about this ?

Best Regards
Graham Laws

I was surprised to find that either of the remote controls for the Hummy and the Freesat 4k box seem to control both boxes simultaneously, or at least a subset of their respective functionalities. It's quite irritating actually, because you can never predict what the state of either box will be when you switch over to its HDMI port. There is a way to change the HUMAX remote's frequency by holding "0" and ENTER together for about 10 seconds. You then have a choice of 6 settings. I've tried all 6. Not a jot of difference. The Freesat box has a similar offering. I've tried all those as well.
Are both boxes powered up when you are trying the different settings? If so try again with the power to the Freesat box turned off.

Thanks Martin, I thought of this. I unplugged the Freesat box while I changed the Humax's remote mode. Made sure the remote was working correctly with the HUMAX (it was). Then plugged the Freesat box back in. Sadly, no change. The Humax remote still partially controls the Freesat box, and the Freesat remote still partially controls the HUMAX. It's maddening !

I had this with the Freesat and our existing Aura. Changing the Freesat code sorted it.
Are you sure you are actually completing the code change process correctly and they aren't just retaining the original setting?

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. The Freesat box does not give as much onscreen feedback as the HUMAX when changing the remote's mode, but I can assure you that I followed those instructions to the letter. And I powered down the HUMAX box while I did it. Obviously, I haven't tried every combination of modes on the two remotes - that would be an onerous 36 possibilities. Incidentally, I have a parallel query over at Freesat, who haven't replied yet - unlike this lively forum !

There is a work-around: the HDR-FOX (with CF + ir package) can be operated using a "virtual" handset via the network using (eg) a web browser on a smart phone. You could thus still control the HDR-FOX even if its IR receiver were covered up or otherwise disabled, and control over the network would not cross-couple to the Freesat box.

You could even repurpose an outdated phone/tablet for this.

Thanks BH, it's an interesting workaround that I will keep in reserve in case no other solution comes to light.

As mentioned above, I also raised this issue with Freesat. Just for completeness, here's their reply :-

cRahEXrywLmEIIRXywAF9DmcYFezZyTI2icTyYfe8nZQoJ425LI5yBl2OImWMLP6fkjpwBvTJw2OoBGiY_GmQbKnAJIKs_reMFSt78VUuonvNnzf5Wt4y1YfKob6pB5qAowtuHcoGIhknzlvKj9KCA059oLPAXIEuvYz2wDWIOpNnl5F9pbC_N1EIWL4Ae6fAkg7qTYly77DzTd5ciWFCX_48TfoL5avCrrYEdtAW8TFXWOC=s0-d-e1-ft
Angel (Freesat)
23 Feb 2023, 09:22 GMT
Dear Graham,

Thank you for contacting Freesat with your enquiry.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the units but it cannot be changed as this is the way the units where manufactured.
You can change the frequency on the Freesat 4K remote but the unit does still accept all remote signals.

What we can advise is to cover the remote receiver on the unit you are not using.

If you require any further assistance from us, please feel welcome to reply to this email.

Many thanks,

I leave it here, as reference for others who encounter the same problem. Incidentally, Freesat additionally produce a full-featured Android and iPhone app to control the box.

Freesat additionally produce a full-featured Android and iPhone app to control the box.
...so you have a choice whether to use that and stick with the physical handset for the HDR-FOX, or vice-versa (whichever is the least inconvenient), or maybe go virtual for both of them. When using a virtual remote, there is no access to an "on" function – so the choice might be down to whichever unit has a physical on/off button (the HDR-FOX does).

As both remotes control both boxes, it looks like it will have to be "fully virtual". Both boxes have an physical on/off button.

Please can you clarify whether this was with a Humax Freesat box or the Arris 4k Freesat box?
It's the Arris one, so was a bit of a surprise.

However with the info posted more recently in (mainly in post#8) I'm wondering. It happened while I was testing the Arris box and changing it's code stopped it operating the Aura, but I can't recall if I then checked the Aura remote wasn't operating the Arris. After testing it went back in it's box pending the dish update, so it'll be a while before I can check again.

It's the Arris one, so was a bit of a surprise.

However with the info posted more recently in (mainly in post#8) I'm wondering. It happened while I was testing the Arris box and changing it's code stopped it operating the Aura, but I can't recall if I then checked the Aura remote wasn't operating the Arris. After testing it went back in it's box pending the dish update, so it'll be a while before I can check again.
Finally got the Arris freesat commissioned today ... Took several hours longer than expected as I was caught by the 'factory reset bug'. Uurgh!

Thus far it doesn't seem to be interfering with the Aura, but the 'power' buttons on the Arris and 1010S both work both boxes - even after changing the 1010 code. As far as I can tell so far that seems to be the only overlap - I spent some time flicking back and forth to match up recording schedules, etc, and the 'other' box didn't seem to do anything unexpected. I wonder if the 'power' signal is uncoded.
Eventually the 1010 will be decommissioned (they will both be run until the Arris has proven itself in use), so hopefully it's a temporary problem.

Back