Remote control Replacement

makem

I have two HDR-FOX T2 machines, both in the same room and TV unit.

I am having trouble with both remote controls and that of the TV too. I am considering buying a single remote control for both Humax's and the Panasonic TX-55AS802B TV rather than taking them apart to clean etc.

I am looking at the remote which I can obtain at John Lewis which will allow easy return if it does not work as expected.

They can supply a 'One for All, Evolve 4' replacement remote for up to 4 devices. However I am concerned that having two identical machines may be a problem.

Has anyone used such a device in this manner and does it work? I assume it would work if I manually enter the codes but would like to know before making the purchase if possible.

The manual for this remote is available here.

According to https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/ofa-evolve-4-urc7145/#urc-product-section--setup
the setup code for the HDR should be 2443 or 1981. But that will only be for whichever machine you have set up to use the default code '1'.
For the 2nd Humax, you may need to use the learning function to learn all the keys onto another device on the One For All.
The best bet is to try it out and see if it suits you and return it if it doesn't.
Bear in mind if your household suffers from grubby remote(s) like mine then consolidating the 3 to 1 remotes will mean you'll have to clean 1 remote instead of 3, but the cleaning frequency may increase! I've tried to make sure people don't use the remotes with wet or grubby hands etc, but inevitably most remotes seem to suffer a similar fate - the rubber membrane to circuit contact just gets sticky after a while.

As a side note, you can tinker with that remote - http://hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It?
But there is a bit of a learning curve for that - if you wish to customise it to your liking.
Otherwise maybe an alternative programmable remote may be an option.

Thank you.

I don't fancy the JP1 remote.

I think if I use the 'Magic' button on the new remote to get one working then use manual for the second box it should work.

Do you think it will matter which is set to the default code? I have no idea now which.

I don't fancy the JP1 remote.
I don't blame you it's a bit of a learning curve. I'm biased, as I've used JP1 remotes for a few years but I am still a beginner/intermediate level user
I purposely didn't mention the Logitech Harmony Remotes as they've recently stopped producing them and I don't know how long the software will work for customising their remotes.
Do you think it will matter which is set to the default code? I have no idea now which.
It won't really matter, but as long as you have a working original HDR remote you can check or change the remote pairing anyway.
Thank you.
You're welcome!

They can supply a 'One for All, Evolve 4' replacement remote for up to 4 devices. However I am concerned that having two identical machines may be a problem.
The foregone notwithstanding (which I have only skimmed), my take on this is that you are likely to be dissatisfied with the mapping of controls on a universal handset compared with the native handset, and having to work on two control channels is definitely a problem especially without being able to rely on the flagship Logitech models now.

One solution could be to rely on the WebIF IR control page in mobile mode, and just use your phone.

Another poster recently reported being satisfied with a supply of Humax handsets via eBay: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/new-rm-f04-remote-excellent-service-from-ebay-supplier.10254/

I have no real problem with 3 remotes, however my wife does. She would also have a problem if using a mobile phone. I think we may both have a problem with a single handset but, the cost for three 'real' 'true' handsets is expensive starting around £25 for the Panny one. So, I will check out the John Lewis one to see what we both think.

As for buying from Ebay, I am concerned that it/they may be copies.

I bought a Sony USB stick whilst in China in the company of a local Chinese friend. It appeared perfect in its box with manual etc. and I was aware of copies. When I tried to remove it from a computer only the case came out in the my hand! The rest was still in situ.

I find even the Chinese buy from UK and USA, even Japan although they are not the best of friends.

She would also have a problem if using a mobile phone
Or tablet? It's very easy to set up a shortcut on the home page which opens the virtual remote directly onto the desktop.

I have no real problem with 3 remotes, however my wife does.
Is she going to do any better with "shift" buttons for what you want to command (on one universal handset) followed by anonymous buttons to actually control it?

My wife gets confused with using the Panny remote only. When she needs to then add the hummy remote it raises a question. She would need two virtual remotes on her computer (no tablet). She rarely uses her computer and it is nowhere near the TV.

I think I may also take some time to get to grips with a single remote but as I have never tried, I want to. I did have use of a Harmony thing but it went back soon after purchase. I forget exactly why now.

Maybe three virtual remotes on a tablet which I do have and which gets little use would be ideal ;) There is a 'thing', blaster or something I have somewhere which maybe could deal with the Panny? We could both use it then :doublethumbsup:

Before Covid we often travelled so bought two XPS13 9300 to carry about but now only my wife uses hers a little and I don't use mine since I went back to a desktop which I had built. I used to build but am lazy now.

The tablet I have, the misses is not keen on, says it is heavy. (Samsung Galaxy Tab A) but it would be happy on the coffee table in front of the TV.

If the single remote does not work out, I will attempt cleaning internally. I have repaired mobile phones so should be able to cope.

Last edited:
I didn't see a comment there on quality but I also skimmed
You could ask (in that thread).

There is a 'thing', blaster or something I have somewhere which maybe could deal with the Panny?
It strikes me there is likely to be something out there which connects by Bluetooth or WiFi to output IR from an Android/iOS app, but I have not researched. The right one would be an ideal thing for a community to get behind and develop/share device control codes... wait a minute, there's already a JP1 comminuty.

I think I may also take some time to get to grips with a single remote but as I have never tried, I want to. I did have use of a Harmony thing but it went back soon after purchase. I forget exactly why now....
Although I haven't used it, I think a Logitech Harmony may be the easiest to use and set up. It is also flexible. The downsides will be cost and possible lack of support in the future. So you could do something like buy 2 or 3 of them, set them up now while the PC software works. Use 1 for now and keep the other 2 in a drawer as cloned spares.

Alternatively if you wish to use a standard One For All remote (without the JP1.x community stuff), then you could do something like
  • plan which function you wish to attach to less obvious keys on One For All (eg FAV, AV, SMART, INFO, BACK, EXIT, 16:9, 3D, LIST)
  • set up HDR1 to device STB (2443 or 1981)
  • set up HDR2 to device BLU or AUD and use the learning function to learn all the keys into device BLU or AUD
  • set up device STB to HDR1 again, this time use learning function to overwrite some keys so that the button layout will match with HDR2 (BLU/AUD)
But maybe try cleaning one of your original remotes before that.

Also if you're on Android and using the CFW, then try the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kjhskj75.humaxfoxt2
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/android-remote-control.8474/
to see how you'd cope with an app to control the HDR via WiFi.

There is also irplus https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=binarymode for Android which works with builtin IR ports or IR/BT dongles etc
https://irplus-remote.github.io

Although it is useful to be able to use a mobile or tablet to use as a universal remote, I always gravitate back to a physical remote. They usually have tactile keys, good button placement, longer battery run time and robustness.

Last edited:
I installed that and on setup it asked which unit. I chose '1'. It worked.

Once set to '1' I was unable to see any way to set '2' or in fact any of the other devices it listed.
Just use the standard Android navigation button 'back'.
Or if your device doesn't have physical buttons try swiping up from the bottom to show the navigation buttons. (Or install a virtual soft key app from Play Store.)
Within the remote keypad screen you can swipe up/down to see the rest of the keys if they don't all fit on one screen.
If you have more than one Humax set up, you can swipe left/right to cycle through them.

Ok after discussion with hwmbo I have decided to replace both Humax remotes using the Ebay referral from Black Hole. They do appear genuine.

As for the panny one, well they want £42 including delivery which seems a bit steep as there are what appear to be genuine one for less on Ebay. Do I take a chance? maybe I should clean the existing one first as see what that result is.

TX-55AS802B, handset model N2QAYB 000842

Decisions, decisions. Thanks all for the input it has helped me avoid the single handset. If an app for the tablet which controls the 3 devices, now that would be great! but to late eh?

Back