Remote Recording

Ezra Pound

I see the DTR-1000/1010 is offering remote recording via an I-Phone (and android soon) cell-phone App. there is some info. on it HERE. Does anyone know how they have achieved this? have they got the Box to Wake-Up-On-LAN or do they use a remote Server as the Custom Firmware for the HDR-Fox T2 does?

The trend these days is to use a remote server to get "away from home" operation. There's little advantage in going to all the commercial effort to provide an app that only works when you could just use the remote.

This App. performs away from home operation, however it is not clear whether it uses a remote server or contacts the YouView box directly e.g. WOL

WoL is very difficult across the WAN (I suppose it should be called WoW in that case - that's what confused me in the OP), a user would have to be instructed how to configure their router etc etc, and you could not rely on the specific model of router (unless the whole thing was offered as a package). Also there would be the difficulty of routing the WoL packet to the subscriber unless he paid extra for a fixed IP address - a dynamic service is no good if there is nothing on at the client end to keep polling the current IP address.

I think we can say it's a non-starter.

If we are ruling out direct connection to the box (which is possible, Although not straight forward) then there would need to be some warning that "Your Recording Has Been Sent to the Box" isn't strictly true. Even with hourly 'Wake-ups' the box could wake-up too late to record the requested program

It definitely polls s server on the Internet. This feature also requires the Youview box to be set to Eco-mode Low - i.e. it's running with the disk spinning all the time.

There's little advantage in going to all the commercial effort to provide an app that only works when you could just use the remote.
Some suggest that the rise of the mobile app as a smart remote control is one reason why Logitech is looking to offload its Harmony remote control product range. Which leaves us iPhone and Android refuseniks stranded. Perhaps I should stock up on a spare 555 or two now while I still have the chance.

af123 : It definitely polls s server on the Internet. This feature also requires the Youview box to be set to Eco-mode Low - i.e. it's running with the disk spinning all the time.
Ah O.K, that does raise another issue though, if the box is effectively always on, I wonder if they have fixed the rumoured memory leak, or what ever it is, that makes the HDR become unresponsive when permanently left on, I suppose it is running different code on the YouView. Also I'm not sure I would be keen on giving Humax / YouView access to by box unless I knew what they were doing

I'm not sure if this helps but as, I'm sure you are already aware, the YouView box seems to be in "continuous" (!!?) contact with a YouView server somewhere.
It updates firmware across the net without local intervention.
I tried the iPhone app to add a couple of recordings (it does not handle series yet!).
My box was in standby state. When I turned it on a minute or so later and immediately checked the schedule, the new entries were in there.

By the way, I rarely use the YouView box from one week to the next (preferring the t2) yet it has updated the firmware a couple of times in the interim, without intervention from me.

I can't say whether the box kicks in in the middle of the night, can't be bothered to stay up and keep watch.

I just tested it with the box turned on and it seemed to take about 5 minutes before 2 scheduled items reached the box. They were triggered from my iPhone a few minutes apart but appeared together.

So I suspect the box polls the server periodically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably continual rather than continuous : ) Another one for the Arms!
I thought about that but wasn't sure what fitted best (hence quotes). Regular or periodic may also fit.
Whatever I was trying to avoid "constant".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back