Remote Scheduling for Foxsat-HDR Now Available

I'm running out of suggestions. Just to verify, you're saying that you did 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, yet the channel database that the box re-created didn't have any default channels?

You can export and import the recordings, just make sure you move the files as binary files. I assume CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware, perhaps someone else can confirm.

Installing rs should automatically install all other required packages. You could try and install satinfo as well.
Where does the channels.db get its info from? If it's the epg.db file does that need renewing?

Where does the channels.db get its info from?
I know virtually nothing about the Foxsat-HDR, but I've just had a look at one of mine, and all the magic seems to happen in
/opt/etc/init.d/S70channels.sh so I suggest you have a read - there's a bit of narrative in there.

I know virtually nothing about the Foxsat-HDR, but I've just had a look at one of mine, and all the magic seems to happen in
/opt/etc/init.d/S70channels.sh so I suggest you have a read - there's a bit of narrative in there.
Interestingly I don't have that file, or anything with channels in the name.

Here's what I have installed:
Code:
Foxsat-HDR1~# opkg list-installed
busybox - 1.18.4-1
channel-editor - 0.53-2
channel-icons - 1.45
dropbear - 2016.74
epg - 1.7
hmt - 2.4
jim-tcl - 0.7.1-1
lighttpd - 1.4.35
openssl - 1.0.1g
remote-control - 1.2-2
restart-now - 1.0
runtime-libraries - 1.0.0-2
service-manager - 2.2
settop-patch - 4.0.9utc
smartctl - 6.4
sysclock - 1.1
telnet - 1.0
tinyftp - 1.0
webif - 2.88
webif-docs - 1.15
and then:
Code:
Foxsat-HDR1~# opkg search *S70*
channel-editor - 0.53-2

Actually, it's been a while since I've done this but, on reflection, it could be that my memory is playing tricks on me (Graham or someone else please feel free to correct me!).

I have a feeling that I was wrong earlier and that deleting the .do_not_delete_this_file doesn't completely remove the CFW but rather resets the CFW to the state it was when you first installed it from USB stick - all packages deleted and only the "basic" web interface available (you may have to press F5 to get the page refreshed when you browse to your box after reboot). Re-install the full Web Interface from the basic web interface and then re-install required packages.

You don't need to manually delete any files or folders other than the one above.
Adrian
This is correct to reset the CFW back to the basic web interface. To remove it completely requires the /opt folder to be deleted and then the Humax standard firmware to be installed on the next boot.

There is a file you can delete to trigger removal of the custom firmware. Don't have access to my box at the moment but, from memory, it's in the /opt folder and it's called something like ".DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE". Note the "." at the start of the filename. In linux terms makes the file as a hidden file so you'll need to do an "ls -a" if you want to see it from a telnet session. Once this file is deleted, a reboot of the box will trigger the removal of the custom firmware.

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset on the box as it's the CFW channels database that's got screwed up, but I suppose the belt and braces approach would be to do this as well.

Once everything is reset you can re-install the CFW (and nowster's patch) in the same way as you did originally.

Yes, CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware.
At last we've got there! In case others have the same problem I deleted .DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE, did a factory reset and re-installed the firmware and hey presto the EPG appeared when I logged in to the rs webpage. Initially I couldn't access the device on the network, but that was cured by clearing the browser history. It's a great program, thanks for that and to all who helped me get access. Anybody know of a way for downloading the recordings over the internet for those of us who don't have routable IPs?

There was somebody streaming from their HDR-FOX to somewhere else in the world a while back, but I think it was problematical. Try a forum serach, or use Google with the search term prefix "site:hummy.tv/forum".

At last we've got there! In case others have the same problem I deleted .DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE, did a factory reset and re-installed the firmware and hey presto the EPG appeared when I logged in to the rs webpage. Initially I couldn't access the device on the network, but that was cured by clearing the browser history. It's a great program, thanks for that and to all who helped me get access
Excellent, very pleased to hear it, well done for your persistence and for reporting the solution back!

I have the same problem as Jimbo767. I deleted .DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE, did a factory reset and re-installed the firmware but still Default Channel Count = zero. What is it that generates a dodgy channels.db? Any suggestions what I should try next?

Seems like I've solved my own problem. I didn't have the WebIf Channel Editor installed. As soon as I installed it the channels appeared and I was able to push them and now I can see them on the EPG.

Seems like I've solved my own problem. I didn't have the WebIf Channel Editor installed. As soon as I installed it the channels appeared and I was able to push them and now I can see them on the EPG.
Now that's very interesting, I wouldn't have thought channel-editor was a required package for rs. I'll have a look and potentially release a new version of rs with this dependency added.

Thanks a lot for reporting the issue and finding a solution!

I've released a new version 1.4.5-12 of rs, which adds the channel-editor dependency.

I suggest all users that have problems pushing their channels and/or have EPG Region = Unknown on https://rs.hpkg.tv/acct/ upgrade to this version.

I love the Remote Scheduling portal - it's by far the easiest way to add recordings.
However, now that Channel 4 HD is only available as a non-freesat channel I don't think RS can be used for that channel.
Even though I've made the channel available in freesat mode it doesn't seem to be available to schedule - even as a manual reservation.

Is there any chance of adding that capability. Even better, would be the option to use the EPG from C4 SD but have the RS portal set a reservation for the HD channel.
I think this was discussed in the thread about C4HD leaving freesat.
That would be awesome - but just the ability to set manual reservations would be great too.

I love the Remote Scheduling portal - it's by far the easiest way to add recordings.
However, now that Channel 4 HD is only available as a non-freesat channel I don't think RS can be used for that channel.
Even though I've made the channel available in freesat mode it doesn't seem to be available to schedule - even as a manual reservation.

Is there any chance of adding that capability. Even better, would be the option to use the EPG from C4 SD but have the RS portal set a reservation for the HD channel.
I think this was discussed in the thread about C4HD leaving freesat.
That would be awesome - but just the ability to set manual reservations would be great too.
I'm working on implementing this, but am busy with commercial work so it'll take a while.

Hello. Just as a matter of interest / curiosity I too had the lack of remote epg problem. I was getting ready to reset the HDR & reapply firmware etc but prior to this I cleared a large swathe of disk space circa 50 gigs worth (endless unmatched stuff) and suddenly the remote scheduler got channels pushed & an epg. No idea why clearing space helped. Probs just a feng shui or unconscious threat to reset an inamimate object scenario. Anyway just thought I’d mention it. Wholly unscientific. Possibly pure coincidence.

Dear all

I'm very happy to finally announce the availability of RS 1.4.5-13 Beta 1 (1.4.5-13-1)!

Changes
  • Now supports non-Freesat channels, including series recording simulation and synopsis fixup.
  • When receiving schedule commands from the RS Portal for events that can't be found in the EPG (eg when the EPG is out of date) the commands are moved to a local queue that will be checked until the event is found. In previous releases, these commands were not carried out, they simply failed.
Non-Freesat

Why would you care about RS supporting non-Freesat channels? Because you might be interested in recording HD versions of channels that are only available as SD on Freesat, including Channel 4 HD, CNN HD and Al Jazeera HD.

RS goes a long way in order to handle non-Freesat recordings as close to Freesat recordings as possible with the following caveats:
  • It is assumed that your Humax Foxsat-HDR box(es) is/are running in Freesat mode.
  • There's no EPG for non-Freesat channels. If there's a corresponding Freesat channel for the non-Freesat channel you're interested in recording from (eg Freesat Channel 4 SD for non-Freesat Channel 4 HD), you can set up epg to copy the EPG from the Freesat channel to the non-Freesat channel and schedule through this EPG copy.
  • Non-Freesat recordings are handled as manual recordings. This means that if the EPG changes, any single event recordings aren't changed. Series events might be rescheduled if RS detects the change in time, but there's no certainty. In general, you need to be a little more alert with EPG changes for non-Freesat channels. Similarly, RS implements padding management for the non-Freesat recordings manually through the padding configuration in the plug-in. Any change in the recording schedule will have an effect on the padding management and this can result in events being rescheduled with/without padding accordingly, but the box needs more lead time (and power cycle(s)) for this to work in time for the event.
  • Non-Freesat series recordings are handled through a local series queue on the box. Every time the EPG is pushed to RS Portal it's checked against the local series queue through the SCRID in the EPG copy and new events are scheduled accordingly (requiring a powercyle to take effect). "Series" events missing a SCRID are also regarded as part of the series if the title matches. This happens often with eg The Simpsons (often the 3 events on Saturday mornings don't carry a SCRID). This is implemented to guard against volatile EPG series information. You remove and/or change folder name for non-Freesat series recordings through the RS Portal as for Freesat series recordings, but this requires that RS is configured with Simulate xCRID for Non-Freesat Recordings in Schedule Pushed to RS Portal = Yes.
  • A postfix is carried out by RS Recording Monitor some time after the non-Freesat recording has finished. This fixes the synopsis for the recording and it also moves non-Freesat series recordings (that are recorded in the root folder because they're scheduled as manual recordings) to their series folder.
  • At most one non-Freesat recording can be carried out at any time. A Freesat recording and non-Freesat recording at the same time is fine, but never two non-Freesat recordings at the same time, even for compatible non-Freesat channels. This is a limitation with the CFW non-Freesat management.
  • In some cases it seems that non-Freesat recordings are slightly unstable, ie the box doesn't wake up to start the recording. To solve this, a feature through which a 3 min. Freesat dummy recording starting 2 min. before the non-Freesat recording can be created automatically has been implemented. No dummy recordings are created if the schedule is already recording on other channels around the time of the beginning of the non-Freesat recording. Dummy recordings are automatically removed after 7 days by the RS client.
In order to add non-Freesat channels to your channel lineup follow this procedure:
  • Perform a new manual tuning:
    • Menu | Setup | Manual Tune.
    • Transponder: All.
    • Network Search: Disable.
    • Scrambled Type: FTA.
    • Channel Type: All or TV.
    • Click [Search].
    • Wait for the manual tuning to finish.
    • Click [Yes] to save the result.
    • Expect the manual tuning to find 375-500 non-Freesat TV channels.
    • Non-Freesat channels will have an LCN >= 5000. The LCN assigned to a given non-Freesat channel is arbitrary between tunings so don't expect a given non-Freesat channel to keep its LCN.
  • Switch the box back to Freesat mode:
    • Menu | Settings | STB Mode.
    • Right arrow to change to "freesat".
    • OK.
  • Reboot by putting the box in standby and then power back up again through the remote control or the box front panel.
  • Start Channel Editor in WebIf:
    • With non-Freesat channels the Channel Editor might take a few minutes to fully load. The page has finished loading when the last line of the page reads "Rendered in: ... seconds".
    • You might need to click [Import Data from Foxsat] in order to read the result of the non-Freesat tune into Channel Editor. Click [OK] in the confirmation diaglog.
    • Include non-Freesat channels in your channel list by setting "Freesat / Non-Freesat" to "Freesat" and "Visible" to "Visible" for each.
    • Exclude channels from your channel list by setting "Visible" to "Hidden" for each.
    • Click on [Save Changes] when you've carried out all the required changes.
    • Wait for Channel Editor to save all the channel updates and generate the change for the box and render the page again.
  • Reboot.
  • You might need to wait for the first Housekeeper boot to have the channels correctly set up.
  • Push the new channel setup to RS Portal.
Known Issues
  • RS Portal doesn't show channel icons for non-Freesat channels. af123 will be adding channel icons for Channel 4 HD, CNN HD and Al Jazeera HD.
  • In rare cases the RS client tries to schedule a single event as a reminder, which isn't supported on the Foxsat-HDR and the rsv process crashes.
Installation

Please contact af123 with your box's MAC address in case you haven't installed Foxsat-HDR beta software before so he can add it to the RS beta package repository security filter. Without this, you cannot run the following installations.

I've updated quite a few dependency packages in order to support non-Freesat scheduling and recording. You install all dependency packages and the updated rs package by running the following commands logged on to your box via Telnet from a computer:

opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/moftot/hmt_2.5.0-1_mips.opk
opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/moftot/epg_1.8.0-1_mips.opk

# Reboot to make sure that TBL_SVC_DEFAULT in /opt/epg/channels.db is rebuilt, a peculiarity of the epg package.
reboot

opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/moftot/runtime-libraries_1.0.1_mips.opk
opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/moftot/rs_1.4.5-13-1_mips.opk

Follow the previously mentioned non-Freesat tuning if you need to add non-Freesat channels to your lineup.

You set up source and target EPG mapping channels in the new epg Plug-in Settings, eg from Channel 4 to Channel 4 HD and from CNN to CNN HD. This setting controls how non-Freesat EPG is populated (updated automatically when the EPG is updated).

Updated dependency packages:
  • hmt can now set the synopsis in the .hmt sidecar file through new option +setsynopsis. This is necessary in order to write the synopsis for manual recordings for non-Freesat channels.
  • epg can now copy EPG from Freesat channels to non-Freesat channels. epg now logs to /opt/tmp/epg.log.
  • runtime-libraries now includes SQLite3 3.25.3. Built-in SQLite3 (executable sqlite3) remains 3.7.7.1.
Feedback

As always, your feedback is most welcome. Happy testing!

Last edited:
Back