Remote Scheduling for Foxsat-HDR Now Available

One has to ask: how often, compared with simply listing a file? Being very picky (and off-topic), cat doesn't actually concatenate files unless the output is directed to a file... so really it is just reading all the files in the list and sending their contents to a standard stream.

yup, and that's why it was called concatenate, which means linking things together. In this sense, sending all the files given on the cmdline (even if just one file) to stdout, linked together (i.e. one after the other with no break), whether or not that "standard output" is redirected to a file, or the terminal (which is also a file, as noted above).

cat will also stream its input, if no files (or the file "-") are on the cmdline.

that said, I agree it's an odd choice of name! But after 35 years, I've got used to it :)

what did DOS use? type?

Last edited:
Also, if you're redirecting a single file's contents, e.g. to a program, you don't need to use cat at all.

i.e. instead of:

cat file-in | prog > file-out

you can write:

prog < file-in > file-out

that might explain why it was called cat, since with the above you'd not use it for single files. But the above won't work if you want prog to accept a stream consisting of several concatenated files, which is when you need cat.

Equally, for viewing a file, cat isn't ideal, e.g. if the file is longer than the screen height, so for that you used more, or its modern replacement less. And instead of:

cat file | less

you use:

less < file

or, of course, in the specific case of less, which accepts a filename as a cmdline argument:

less file

summary: the idea was that cat isn't actually needed when dealing with a single file, only when dealing with a stream of concatenated files. hence the name.

Well, that's my theory :)

Last edited:
what did DOS use? type?
Yes. And in DOS*, concatenating files in a command line simply requires "+" or the use of wildcards in the file specification. In effect, every command has a concatenated input stream provided by the command interpreter.

* terms and conditions apply

My First Computing (desktop) was MS-DOS, so I was steeped in the MS-DOS command line first (PCs at work and then home) and Unix came a shade later (when work acquired a CAD system running on Unix). Cat was the way to get a listing to terminal (and frankly, without any other tweaks to the command line that's exactly what it does), so "catalogue" was how we knew it (what it says in the manual notwithstanding... in those pre-Internet days access to manuals was limited, we learned by rumour and trial-and-error). TBH, "catalogue" always seemed a little peculiar - but then all the Unix terminal commands seemed peculiar.

Surely you can acknowledge all cat really does is direct the content of one file or set of files to the standard output stream (which defaults to the terminal), so "concatenate" is an arbitrary choice of word from a possible selection of many which could describe that process... or are you saying that no other UNIX/Linux command is capable of concatenating its input?

in those pre-Internet days access to manuals was limited
Unless you were using a very early version of UNIX (from the days when the total number of installed systems was around 12) you should have had man pages. I remember from a history of UNIX talk I attended that they even implemented a job to remove any command which did not have a man page.

Unless you have some kind of guide, how do you know about the man command? Like I said, it was all very new, and DOS calls it (rather helpfully) "help".

Unless you have some kind of guide, how do you know about the man command?

man man? :)

[more seriously: the original unix came with notes, which noted that every command had a man page, which described it, and you use the
man command to access those. and it was a tiny community, where every user got their copy direct from the inventors]

I think the following is as definitive as we'll get, unless anyone finds it mentioned in a history:

that's a representation of a scanned page from the manual of the first edition of research unix, released in Nov. 3, 1971.

I agree it doesn't seem an intuitive name, i.e. concatenation, with current eyes.

My post above was just a personal suggestion, about why it might have seemed different then, when cat was mostly used to concatenate multiple files, not being needed for just a single file. Purely my guesswork, no references.

My memory from those days says we use cat on single files rarely, using vi if we wanted to examine a file or pr to get a better presented file content

I'm very happy to finally announce the production availability of RS 1.4.5-14!. 1.4.5-13 never made it to production (the beta release was 1.4.5-13-1), but 1.4.5-14 includes everything in 1.4.5-13-1 announced here:

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/remote-scheduling-for-foxsat-hdr-now-available.8153/post-132068

Changes Since 1.4.5-13-1
  • Now can be configured to avoid [SL] and early hours (01:00-07:59) non-Freesat series events.
  • Now checks whether scheduled non-Freesat events have changed start and/or stop times in EPG to be outside current manual schedule and reschedules accordingly.
  • Fallback dummy recording removal added for when scheduled removal failed - removes dummy recordings older than 8 days.
Known Issues
  • RS Portal doesn't show channel icons for non-Freesat channels. af123 will be adding channel icons at some point in the future but he's extremely busy at the moment.
  • When the schedule contains an old non-Freesat LCN (eg 5201) that's no longer available because a new non-Freesat tuning has been carried out, RS gets confused and doesn't push these schedules to the RS Portal. The only solution is to locally remove these and reschedule through RS Portal with the new, current non-Freesat LCN (eg 5409).
Installation

The following associated packages have also been updated for production:
  • epg 1.8.0 (beta version was 1.8.0-1): WebIf documentation for the epg plug-in has been added, version number updated.
  • hmt 2.5.0 (beta version was 2.5.0-1): Version number updated.
  • runtime-libraries 1.0.1: No changes since beta release, version number not updated.
If you had the beta version 1.4.5-13-1 installed you'll need to carry the following out directly on the box connected via Telnet/SSH before upgrading RS:
Code:
opkg install --force-downgrade http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk
opkg install --force-downgrade http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk

Upgrade RS through WebIf's Package Management page by clicking the [Update package list from Internet] button, click on the [Close] button in the dialog after the list of upgrades has been downloaded, click the Upgrades tab and the [Upgrade] button for the rs package. Alternatively, run the following directly on the box connected via Telnet/SSH:
Code:
opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk

which in turn should upgrade epg to 1.8.0, hmt to 2.5.0 and runtime-libraries to 1.0.1 if necessary.

Feedback

As always, feedback is most welcome! Stay safe!

Last edited:
Hello MofTot,

Big thanks for the continued work on RS for the HDR, been working like a charm. Sorry Arris!

I hate to be a trouble causer, but am having a slight hiccup upgrading from the beta. I followed the guide to run the commands via telnet, but it doesn't seem to like it. Below is what telnet showed after running the commands.

Foxsat-500~# opkg install --force-downgrade http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk.
Package hmt (2.5.0-1) installed in root is up to date.
Foxsat-500~#
Foxsat-500~# opkg install --force-downgrade http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk.
Package epg (1.8.0-1) installed in root is up to date.
Foxsat-500~#
Foxsat-500~#
Foxsat-500~#
Foxsat-500~# opkg install http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk.
Package rs (1.4.5-13-1) installed in root is up to date.
Foxsat-500~#

Version numbers remain the same in the WebIf.

When you have time to look at this I would be most appreciative.

Take care.

Big thanks for the continued work on RS for the HDR, been working like a charm. Sorry Arris!

I hate to be a trouble causer, but am having a slight hiccup upgrading from the beta. I followed the guide to run the commands via telnet, but it doesn't seem to like it. Below is what telnet showed after running the commands.

Apologies, I forgot that opkg doesn't work downloading and downgrading in one go. In fact, I couldn't get it to just download either, so you can try the following commands via Telnet/SSH, replace <username> with your RS Portal username, the curl commands will prompt you for your password:
Code:
opkg update
curl -u <username> http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk -o /opt/tmp/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk
curl -u <username> http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk -o /opt/tmp/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk
curl -u <username> http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk -o /opt/tmp/rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk
opkg install --force-downgrade /opt/tmp/hmt_2.5.0_mips.opk
opkg install --force-downgrade /opt/tmp/epg_1.8.0_mips.opk
opkg install --force-downgrade /opt/tmp//rs_1.4.5-14_mips.opk

You can ignore the following errors:
Code:
Error: near line 3: table postfixes already exists
Error: near line 14: table series already exists
Error: near line 1: duplicate column name: minstamp

This is ridiculous. Just publish the versions you want to use with a higher version number and stop all this p155ing about.
Opkg is crap at fiddling about with stuff like this.

That did it. Thank you very much.
Over the last couple of months been using the CH4HD schedule recording ability and its worked brilliantly. Like it never went away.

Any chance of a CFW package to give the HDMI 4k capability, you know, to compete with Arris? Oh and a Opkg to unlock the HDR's AI capabilities to so it can home school my kids for me? Look forward to installing them next week.

This is ridiculous. Just publish the versions you want to use with a higher version number and stop all this p155ing about.
I agree that it's not ideal but this is only an issue for beta testers - in this case only 1 or 2 users.

I need to be able to distinguish through a version number whether it's a beta version or not. I use the following scheme for that purpuse:

<version>-1: Beta 1 release of <version>.
<version>-2: Beta 2 release of <version>.
<version>: Production release <version>.

For some of my packages <version> is structured as x.y.z, for one it's structured as x.y.z-a (to keep it in line with version numbers for the same package for Fox HDR-T2). Using this scheme, opkg can't figure out that 1.4.5-14 is newer than 1.4.5-13-1.

The beta releases aren't published to the normal production repository in order to limit them to a few users with special access. Perhaps that's what confusing opkg as well, but again, this hassle is only for beta users.

I'm open to using another version numbering scheme if that can achieve the above mentioned requirements with a seamless opkg upgrade process.

That did it. Thank you very much.
Over the last couple of months been using the CH4HD schedule recording ability and its worked brilliantly. Like it never went away.
Excellent, you're welcome, sorry about the hassle.
Any chance of a CFW package to give the HDMI 4k capability, you know, to compete with Arris? Oh and a Opkg to unlock the HDR's AI capabilities to so it can home school my kids for me? Look forward to installing them next week.
:)

Many apologies, boxes in some (all?) regions have lost the EPG on the RS Portal as of tonight. This is because LCN 101 has been renamed from "BBC One <region>" to "BBC ONE <region>" 6-7 days ago.

I expect to have a proper fix ready in a couple of days. In the meantime, you can use the following hotfix if you're computer savvy:
  • Transfer the attached file to /opt/tmp/rs.views.bbc_region.sql (rename extension from .txt to .sql) on the box.
  • Run this command on the box:
    sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db < /opt/tmp/rs.views.bbc_region.sql
  • Run this command on the box and verify that the result shows the correct region, eg "South/510". An incorrect result is "Unknown (<name_of_lcn_101>)/599":
    sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "select * from bbc_region;"
  • Run this command on the box to upload EPG again:
    rs epg offer
I use the following table to deduct the region from the name of LCN 101 (now the uppercase name). Please report if your region's name for 101 isn't handled correctly by these mappings and I'll add a fix for that as well:

Code:
LCN 101 NAME UPPERCASE Region/Region ID
---------------------- ---------------------------------
BBC ONE CI             Channel Islands/501
BBC ONE EAST E         East (East)/502
BBC ONE EAST W         East (West)/503
BBC ONE E MID          East Midlands/504
BBC ONE LON            London/505
BBC ONE NE&C           North East & Cumbria/506
BBC ONE N WEST         North West/507
BBC ONE NI HD          Northern Ireland/508
BBC ONE NI             Northern Ireland/508
BBC ONE SCOTHD         Scotland/509
BBC ONE SCOT           Scotland/509
BBC ONE SCOTL          Scotland/509
BBC ONE SCOTLA         Scotland/509
BBC ONE SOUTH          South/510
BBC ONE S EAST         South (East)/511
BBC ONE OXFORD         South (Oxford)/512
BBC ONE S WEST         South West/513
BBC ONE WAL HD         Wales/514
BBC ONE WALES          Wales/514
BBC ONE WEST           West/515
BBC ONE W MID          West Midlands/516
BBC ONE YORKS          Yorkshire/517
BBC ONE YK&LI          East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire/518
                       Unknown (<lcn_101_name>)/599

Attachments

• rs.views.bbc_region.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
1.4.5-15

A new release 1.4.5-15 is now available at the official Foxsat-HDR CFW repository.

Changes

Improved Freesat region detection following a rename of LCN 101 "BBC One <region>" to "BBC ONE <region>" at some point 10-14 Aug 2020.

Expect the usual "errors" when upgrading from a previous version that already had the latest database changes:

Code:
Upgrading rs on root from 1.4.5-14 to 1.4.5-15...

Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/rs_1.4.5-15_mips.opk.

Backing up /opt/webif/plugin/RemoteScheduling/rs.db...
Backing up /opt/etc/rsqueue.db...
Restoring /opt/webif/plugin/RemoteScheduling/rs.db...
Restoring /opt/etc/rsqueue.db...
Error: near line 1: duplicate column name: minstamp

Configuring rs.

You can check the WebIf RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings whether you have the correct BBC region.

Last edited:
Hi

I just updated to 1.4.5-15. I then made an amendment in the Webif Channels section. Then I went to "RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings" and pushed channels - this resulted in the following:

Incorrect integer value: '' for column humaxrs.devchannel.usNetId at row 1 (this line was repeated 130 times in total)
Pushed channels: 130 channels, 4 favourite groups, 112 favourites

When I log in to rs.hpkg.tv/xepg.html, the EPG list is empty.

Helllllp!

Attachments

• channels.zip
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for reporting this and for providing your channels database.

I can replicate trying to push channels based on your database but I'm at a loss as to why this happens as I can't see anything wrong with the data being sent to the RS Portal, but I'll keep digging. There are other devices registered in your Freesat region.

Just out of curiosity - can you confirm that you rebooted the box after using the WebIf Channel Editor, before pushing channels?

Thanks for reporting this and for providing your channels database.

I can replicate trying to push channels based on your database but I'm at a loss as to why this happens as I can't see anything wrong with the data being sent to the RS Portal, but I'll keep digging. There are other devices registered in your Freesat region.

Just out of curiosity - can you confirm that you rebooted the box after using the WebIf Channel Editor, before pushing channels?

I rebooted the box - waited half an hour - used the Webif Channel Editor - then pushed the channels - I think!

Back