Remote stops working, buttons stop working, have to hard reset - often

alfonzobonzo

Hi all, I have a problem with my recorder which I haven't been able to resolve through trial and error. In fact it has been hard to find a reliable way of replicating it.

I thought it might have something to do with the remote & switching between TV and PVR but even this now I'm starting to doubt.

The symptom are,
No control of the PVR whatsoever from the remote - though remote is still able to control TV.
Last selected TV channel still plays and all scheduled recording still take place.
Buttons on front of PVR are unresponsive including power button.
Have to switch power off at the rear to correct.

I'm currently running the latest custom firmware (2.20) but the problem started recently on custom 1.15 which had been working fine up until this point.

tried, changing hdmi cables, installing new remote batts, changing remote control channel from 1 to 2, removing TV remote functionality for Samsung tv (during which point it locked up again)

Is there a syslog I can access? could see one in //192.168.1.x/diag/diag.jimnpstics

Not even sure its a custom firmware related, hence why I've posted here

Any help appreciated

.....long time lurker

This sounds very much like a hardware failure, but before you do anything else try a thick cloth / towel over the unit to exclude any possible IR sources, and try SCART/phono instead of HDMI to exclude the possibility of CEC interaction (the TV may have updated itself).

The only option I can think of is a factory reset (which is what Humax Support will ask you to do). This will mean a retune, erased settings, erased recording schedule (which can be restored or auto-restored by CF), but no loss of existing recordings or CF.

Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default

I have seen this issue reported before, but am not sure whether it was on this forum or another, but the symptoms were almost exactly the same.

I have an idea - does the unit behave normally for a while after the cold boot, until it locks up again? If you have a network connected, disconnect it and see what happens then.

Hello, & thanks for the replies.. I'm working thorough your suggestions and will report back

ive just disconnected HDMI and connected via SCART (yuk!) but whilst trying to make it happen again, i thought i'd try reprogramming the remote to the tv again,...

1.Selectthemode(PVR,TV,DVD,AUDIO)youwanttosetbypressingthecorrespondingbuttononthe
remotecontrol.Thebuttonwillblinkonce.
2.Keeppressingthebuttonfor3secondsuntilthebuttonlightson.
3.Enterthe4-digitcode.Everytimeanumberisentered,thebuttonwillblink.Whenthefourthdigitis
entered,thebuttonwillblinktwice.
4.Ifavalid4-digitcodeisentered,theproductwillpoweroff.
5.PresstheOKbuttonandthemodebuttonwillblinkthreetimes.Thesetupiscomplete.
6.Iftheproductdoesnotpoweroff,repeattheinstructionfrom3to5.
(from rcucodelist_adb1.0_gb.pdf)

I notice that the [TV] button flashes on the 3rd digit entered every time??

.....Yes it works normally for a while after cold boot until it locks up

Most HDR-FOX T2 boxes come with a 3-digit code RM-F04 remote control, the 4-digit code RM-F04 was supplied with the HD-FOX T2 boxes.

The 3-digit remote should have a sticker in the battery compartment with MDB 1.3
The 4-digit remote should have a sticker in the battery compartment with ADB 1.0

There are two types of remote, one has a 3 digit code for products and the other has a 4 digit code

Ah. Thanks for the quick reply, .. Not quite quick enough to stop me breaking the remote open ;) That's a red herring then, Boo

True enough, it says MDB 1.3

Most HDR-FOX T2 boxes come with a 3-digit code RM-F04 remote control, the 4-digit code RM-F04 was supplied with the HD-FOX T2 boxes.
Not so, early remotes (for HD- and HDR-FOX) were 4-digit, then replaced by 3-digit versions. Some 3-digit versions were mislabelled with the old identifier.

Not so, early remotes (for HD- and HDR-FOX) were 4-digit, then replaced by 3-digit versions. Some 3-digit versions were mislabelled with the old identifier.
I will have to disagree depending on how early you are referring, my September 2010 purchased HDR-FOX T2 box came with a 3-digit remote incorrectly labelled ADB 1.0, but my March 2010 purchased HD-FOX T2 box did come with a 4-digit remote also labelled ADB 1.0. They are both still using their original Rocket batteries more than three years later.

You could be right, I thought I had a 4-digit remote with a HDR-FOX, but as they are now all in the general pool I wouldn't be able to work out which was what. I definitely have both 3- and 4-digit remotes with the same label.

You could be right, I thought I had a 4-digit remote with a HDR-FOX, but as they are now all in the general pool I wouldn't be able to work out which was what. I definitely have both 3- and 4-digit remotes with the same label.
Perhaps the first production run of HDR-FOX T2's did ship in August 2010 with the 4-digit remote used on the earlier HD-FOX T2 boxes. Mine was purchased in September 2010, and may have been one of the first to have the wrongly labelled 3-digit remote.

Still running with SCART and so far so good.

Black Hole, what was your thought re network? I've had a think about what's changed recently here and I bought a Sonos system recently that may coincide with the occurrences start.
I have turned of the "show media servers" on that in-case it was related, maybe related to Mediatomb....

Well, I have had some strange lock-ups when my HD-FOX was having trouble accessing the network (for reasons unexplained). It crossed my mind that some kind of network interaction during boot (DHCP maybe) might send the processing into paroxysms. Disconnecting the network entirely should isolate those. We also know about DLNA server interactions with Twonky 7, and the DLNA indexer having trouble with corrupt files (turning off the server diagnoses those).

Last night did the Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default (non wipe)
scheduled program's wouldn't restore, though reinstating them manually didn't take long

has been behaving since then. Maybe that's all it needed.

I note on the top post of the description it says buttons on the box stop working which is different to the one that I've been having and may be fixed now and other people have. Then we have the other one where all is fine at boot up (that's different from mine) but latter remote stops working, there is a thread on that.

That's three different issues on the remote not working. I can see we need a classification type 1, 2 and 3 :)

Wo there! turned content sharing back on for the first time this morning since the reset, so that we could watch some recordings on the samsung tv upstairs.
Just came back to find it locked up (control wise) as previously described.

Back