Replace HDD or get a new machine?

Russel Winder

Our HDR-Fox-T2 has been exhibiting HDD problems (I suspect bad blocks) for a while and then refused to do anything other than be reformatted. Which seemed to work for a few days, but today it seems the disc controller has given up the ghost as there is no media and no data storage entry on the settings| system menu. I took the opportunity to install the custom firmware – trivially done and allowed me to login in to a proper root prompt. No fsck but I guess fix-disk is the same. No badblocks for bad block forwarding, but then there is no disk so not a problem. :-(

I suspect I shouldn't try using my spare server disc as the controllers are tuned for a different performance profile than required in a PVR. The WD AV-GP 2TB seems to be the obvious choice of disc to fit – assuming it is compatible. At about £70, the option is to get a new machine for about £200. I am dithering as to whether there are any good features in new machines or whether to go with staying with this machine and getting a new disc.

Perhaps more importantly though is an HDD necessary or are there SSDs that could be used instead. I guess the issue is that SSD controllers are optimized for laptop and workstation use rather than PVR use.

I took the opportunity to install the custom firmware – trivially done and allowed me to login in to a proper root prompt.
So have you tried to run fix-disk; see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Maintenance_Mode

I suspect I shouldn't try using my spare server disc as the controllers are tuned for a different performance profile than required in a PVR. The WD AV-GP 2TB seems to be the obvious choice of disc to fit – assuming it is compatible. At about £70, the option is to get a new machine for about £200. I am dithering as to whether there are any good features in new machines or whether to go with staying with this machine and getting a new disc.

The Humax FVP-4000T is reportedly very close to launch and will feature three tuners with a cost about £200 but at the moment we don't know much about it.
Perhaps more importantly though is an HDD necessary or are there SSDs that could be used instead.
SSD usage is intriguing and the costs are getting closer to sensible but I don't know if the kernel have the necessary support.

There are no /sys/block/sda? files so fix-disk has nothing to run on and just terminates. On powering up the current HDD just fails to connect to the rest of the system. Classic controller failure seemingly.

Hummm… maybe I'll do the HDD replacement and see about having a second machine by getting this one once released.

That is a good point, the Linux used in the HDR-Fox-T2 is so ancient that it probably cannot do the little extras needed to work with an SSD controller, trim, etc.

We discussed SSDs and concluded there isn't a lot to be gained.

If you are worried about the controller being the fault, try any old SATA HDD you have lying around first - that should confirm whether it's the drive or the controller.

As for replacing the machine or trying to get this one up and running (pending the results above), it rather depends how keen you are on the custom firmware facilities. No CF on the new machines, nor much likelihood.

As mentioned above I'd try another HDD in it temporarily and if that proves stable then purchase a new HDD for it, such as the WD Purple or a Seagate Pipeline. With the Custom software option I'd still rate the HDR-T2 above all the newer models...

Do you really know enough about the FVP-4000T to discount it at this point in time?

We do know some details (see HERE) including the price (see HERE). Not a big fan of the look/colour but the spec does look good. However I think its highly unlikely we will ever see a custom software option for it...

Look is dreadful. It looks like some sort of kitchenware. Possibly a small hotplate? WTF were they thinking of?

Trev, precisely my point, the designers have made a rather rash assumption that people don't want to stack their kit!!
I suspect it's the usual view that their box is the only unit that people will have...

I'm thinking of getting a Freeview Play box, and despite the hideous looks this might do the job. However, one item is critical in that I cannot accomodate an external wall wart power supply. It must have either built in mains or at least a mains lead that feeds into an external power supply. Do we know anything about the PSU?

Also unless it has optical audio out it'll be tricky to get multi cannel audio out into my non HDMI av amp, unless my TV can strip out the audio (it claims to be able to do this to optical for Dolby Digital). Do we know about audio connectivity?

Back