Reprogram remote four white buttons, 'PVR', 'TV', 'DVD' and 'AUDIO'

steve2525

Is it possible to reprogram the Humax remote TV,DVD and AUDIO white buttons so that they operate the Humax as if the PVR button was selected? Trying to help elderly relative.

Is it possible to reprogram the Humax remote TV,DVD and AUDIO white buttons so that they operate the Humax as if the PVR button was selected?
From Things Every... (click) section 13:
Inconveniently, it is not possible to program the Humax controls into the other mode buttons (it's fixed on the PVR button), and the TV button can only be programmed for TVs (DVD button for DVDs, etc). When you do have (for example) the TV button programmed, it would be handy to have the volume buttons control the TV instead of the Humax (when in PVR mode) - but it doesn't.

Trying to help elderly relative.
I use a Logitech Harmony 300 for that purpose, with a careful subset of functions programmed onto its keys. A cheaper model will do if you don't need to control three devices. It has the benefit of always controlling the TV volume (not the PVR volume), for example. I was also building a custom remote with big buttons, based on a One4All handset, but that project has been shelved.

Alternatively, you could achieve what you want by disabling the TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons. This is easily done by dismantling the handset and using a slip of paper to prevent the relevant buttons making electrical contact with the circuit board. Instructions are in the wiki: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Disassembled

Last edited:
Is it possible to reprogram the Humax remote TV,DVD and AUDIO white buttons so that they operate the Humax as if the PVR button was selected? Trying to help elderly relative.
There are copy cat remotes for sale where those 3 buttons do not work (and/but the remote is stuck in the default mode 1; plus the PVR buttons does not light up).
An example is
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...FOX-T2-HDR-FOX-T2-1TB-HDRFOXT2GB/162152093800
but if you go down that route then look around for a seller that you trust - I just picked that one at random.

Remapping of the remote control buttons is available using the ir package in the customised firmware

I use the following to disable the DVD and Audio buttons
Code:
80:80:PVR
81:81:TV
82::DVD  disable
83::AUDIOD disable
You might also wish to disable/remap the Portal and other buttons that could cause problems/confusion.

Using the custom firmware could also allow you to help your relative by scheduling recordings remotely, cleaning out unneeded recordings

I use the following to disable the DVD and Audio buttons
Code:
80:80:PVR
81:81:TV
82::DVD  disable
83::AUDIOD disable
That doesn't change what happens to the device selection on the remote itself. What it changes is that for those RM-F04 remotes that can be programmed using the 3 digit codes the on-screen device selection graphic does not appear on the TV anymore. For the Humax remotes that use the 4 digit codes it would not have any impact as those remotes do not broadcast anything when any of the 4 device buttons (PVR/TV/DVD/AUDIO) are pressed.

That doesn't change what happens to the device selection on the remote itself.
Also a good point. Pressing another button by mistake will still stop the handset working, unless you can remap all the "foreign" codes into equivalent functions (but is likely to exceed the mapping storage available).

Is it possible to reprogram the Humax remote TV,DVD and AUDIO
I use a Panasonic TV, and have programmed my Humax HDR Fox T2 (RM-F04) with the remote codes so my Humax remote operates my Panasonic TV, there are limitations as to which functions are available, my need is to turn the TV on and adjust the volume which the Humax remote is able to do

I use a Panasonic TV, and have programmed my Humax HDR Fox T2 (RM-F04) with the remote codes so my Humax remote operates my Panasonic TV...
But this is just following the manual, TV->Power; PVR->Power, no? Or have you managed to set it up so that the volume button in PVR mode signals the TV?

The Humax remote's TV mapping for my Panasonic TV is pretty complete. Incidentally some ancient Panasonic TVs need a long-press Power signal that can cause problems for universal remotes.

You press one of four white buttons, 'PVR', 'TV', 'DVD' and 'AUDIO' once and it selects that function, press it and hold for three seconds and it is put into a state that enables you to end a three-digit code corresponding to the three-digit code used by universal remote controls, once the correct code for your device is entered, that device will be turned off, the Humax remote (RM-F04) will now operate your other device

Here is the link https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/rem_code/

There are two files, one has 34 pages of manufactures codes, the second is 39 pages, yes, the Humax HDR Fox T2 is not listed, but I found that the codes do work, its just a matter of finding the correct code, some devices have many code options

As I have a few Humax HDR Fox T2 boxes, I have entered the three-digit code on each Humax remote for turning on the TV, meaning I don't have to keep swapping remotes, each remote has a sticky label identifying what each Humax HDR Fox T2 ip address and 0 - 6 ir code is set to

If you need more info, let me know

press it and hold for three seconds and it is put into a state that enables you to end a three-digit code corresponding to the three-digit code used by universal remote controls
What? No, I don't think so. This is how you do it: (Wrong - talking at cross purposes)

In any case, your post isn't answering anything anybody has asked in this thread, and even if it was there are existing resources to answer it.

Last edited:
I made a video to demonstrate the process (can't find the link at the moment).
made a video to show what process, surely your key combination refers to change the remote id between 1 and 6, so one remote does not activate two or more boxes

My key combination refers to a totally different purpose

@Code is a Hole you're right - I have misinterpreted one or more posts. However, it's late, I'm tired, and I shall have to read it all again carefully to figure out the paper trail.

but punch-through (PVR->Vol+/- controls TV volume) would be more useful
In that case then, after pressing the white 'TV' button on the Humax remote having entered the three-digit code for your TV, you will be able to adjust the volume setting of your TV (plus a few other basic options) when the Humax remote is set to 'TV' with the white button, then press the white 'PVR' button to resume control of the Humax

In that case then, after pressing the white 'TV' button on the Humax remote having entered the three-digit code for your TV, you will be able to adjust the volume setting of your TV (plus a few other basic options) when the Humax remote is set to 'TV' with the white button, then press the white 'PVR' button to resume control of the Humax
I'm sure we're all well aware of that (for the last 10 years :rolleyes:), and that's not what "punch through" means. On a Logitech Harmony (for example), the volume and mute buttons always control the TV regardless of which mode the handset is in - that's punch-through. It's a pain having to press "TV", "Vol+", "PVR".

The ideal for TV volume control is to set all your sources at matched volumes, and then just alter the TV volume - that way you don't get a big volume jump when switching between sources. It used to be the case that the HDR-FOX jumped volume between StDef and HiDef services - that was cured by a firmware update.

Last edited:
My key combination refers to a totally different purpose
Agreed and accepted, post edited to reflect that.

General Relativity or is it Relative Insensitivity
I stand by what I said. I do not accept that instructions how to program the "other box" buttons on the HDR-FOX handset is relevant to the current discussion, because the OP wants to know if the "other boxes" can be nominated as the HDR-FOX (which they can't), or a way to prevent accidental pressing of them stopping the handset working with the HDR-FOX (until the PVR button is pressed again).

Consequently, your post adds confusion rather than clarifying anything.

To summarise the potential solutions to the OP's problem:
  • It is not possible to "defeat" the TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons. Whatever you do, pressing one of them will prevent the handset operating the PVR until the PVR button is pressed again.

• The on-screen pop-up which announces the press of the TV, DVD, or AUDIO buttons (later generation handsets only) can be suppressed using custom firmware.

• It might be possible to map a few of the functions from the TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons to equivalent functions on the HDR-FOX using a feature of the custom firmware, but this is limited in capacity and will require some user configuration.

• The TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons can be physically disabled if you are prepared to dismantle the handset (see post 3).

• A programmable universal remote control handset (such as Logitech Harmony) can be (and has been) used to operate all but the exotic functions of the HDR-FOX. However, if anything, the button layout tends to be less clear than the HDR-FOX handset.

• Custom firmware + WiFi offers the possibility of controlling the HDR-FOX via a smart-phone or tablet (without the TV, DVD, and AUDIO button functionality), and with the option of creating a personalised key layout by designing your own web page.

Back