Reserved space problem after changing to 2TB drive

Brid

Forum Supporter
HI All
Could someone help with this? I have a Fox T2 with a bad 1TB drive. It still worked so I cloned it to a 2TB drive of the same seagate generation, extended the partion that holds the recordings from 1Tb to 2TB or whatever the maximum was and fitted the drive back. All is well, the humax boots with its latest custom firmware, all programs retained, all my add ons are there and working just like before apart from I still only have 1Tb of recording space. If I press menu and go to settings, HDD it reports that the drive is 2TB but the reserved space is 1TB so I guess that is where the problem is?

Does anyone know how to increase the reserved space so that I can use the whole HDD?

Thanks

What did you do to extend the data partition - did you merely change the limits, or did you also extend the ext3 filesystem to fill the extended partition?

What did you do to extend the data partition - did you merely change the limits, or did you also extend the ext3 filesystem to fill the extended partition?
HI Derek

I extended the partition by taking the hard drive out of the humax, conected it to my laptop and extended the ext3 partition with partion master 13.5

Since you have the custom firmware, can you post the output of the 4kalign diagnostic?

Partition Master sounds like a Windows tool. Windows doesn't "do" ext filesystems, so you've probably only altered the extent of the partition.
I suggest a look at this information, with the reservation that I've never tried this manoeuvre on GPT HDDs, so don't know if it is suitable.

Partition Master sounds like a Windows tool. Windows doesn't "do" ext filesystems, so you've probably only altered the extent of the partition.
I have used various Windows based partition managers and most will quite happily manipulate a Linux Ext3 file system; I have been using MiniTool Partition Wizard that definitely supports Ext2/3/4. I do agree with you that it sounds as though the partition has been extended but the file system hasn't been resized.

Sorry for the late reply, busy changing all card details as my ID has been stolen :(. Could you send some instructions of how to output a diagnostic as I have never done one of those. The partition was definatly extended it's just the humax has the reserved space at the same amount but like I said the humax does see that it is a 2tb drive from the settings menu .
No hurry to reply as I will be going away for the bankl holiday anyway for a break. Thanks to all so far I hope you can help me sort it out.

Fiddling with the partitions yourself wasn't the best plan. Perform a clean install using the Humax menus to set up the disk structure to Humax's liking, then copy the content across from the old drive (either by connecting it to USB or, if you insist, using your PC... but only after configuring the drive in the Humax).

Last edited:
I extended the partition by taking the hard drive out of the humax, conected it to my laptop and extended the ext3 partition with partion master
Which partition? There is no point saying "the partition" when there are three. You need to be more precise.
The recording partition is the middle one, so you can't 'just' extend it.
Open a command line session and run fdisk -lu /dev/sda
I do agree with you that it sounds as though the partition has been extended but the file system hasn't been resized.
Quite. He probably 'just' needs to run /mod/sbin/resize2fs /dev/sda2

Caveat: As I understand it, you can't just run resize2fs on ext3 as it doesn't take account of the journalling. You have first to convert to ext2, resize and then convert to ext3 again.

Last edited:
HI There, I'm back with all bank cards now on their way in the post! I have just run a diagnostic as requested and it's below. I love my Humax but I'm no expert at setting it up again with connecting it to my nas as it does now and cutting out the adverts etc and just can't face the thought of setting that all up again. I take your point of letting the Humax having it the way it likes it but if formatting it is the only way I will have to live with only using 1tb of the 2tb.

When I started the tread I just thought that the reserved amount could be extended somehow? I do have another option though as I still have the just about still working 1tb drive that came out of it. That drive has a couple of bad blocks but otherwise is all setup and working with the extras that you guys provide. If there is a way that it could be cloned again as I did the first time but incorporating the extend of the second partition could that be done perhaps? As you may have guessed I am used to Windows based systems and I have used mini tool for example to clone and resize partitions in 1 operation which is why I tried to do it that way in the first place.

Any Ideas let me know

Code:
Please select option: diag

Enter the diagnostic name (or press return to cancel): 4kalign

Are you sure you wish to run diagnostic '4kalign'? [Y/N] y

Running: 4kalign

SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

--> This is a Standard Format drive.

SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Model Number:       ▒

<Rp@,

LW▒@▒

Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes

Disk /dev/sda: 64 KiB, 65536 bytes, 128 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: dos

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start   End Sectors Size Id Type

/dev/sda1           8  4095    4088   2M 83 Linux

Standard format drive - partitions are always aligned.

And also is this any help?

Livingroomhumax# /mod/sbin/resizefs /dev/sda2

/bin/sh: /mod/sbin/resizefs: not found

Livingroomhumax# fdisk -lu /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System

/dev/sda1   *          63     2120579     1060258+ 83 Linux

/dev/sda2         2120580  3886025603  1941952512  83 Linux

/dev/sda3      3886027110  3907007999    10490445  83 Linux

Livingroomhumax#

Last edited by a moderator:
When you clone, does the cloning software not give you the option to expand the partitions? I think MiniTool does.
Please edit your last post to remove the duplicated stuff.

I have Mini Tool professional 9.1 and although you can clone and resize in 1 go on ntfs and others it did not like EXT3. I used EaseUS partition master 13.5 technician edition which cloned no problem but no resize at the same time

Ah. Thanks for the info. I was just grasping at straws anyway.
Nice edit.😍

How about formatting the new HDD in the Foxsat then copy the recordings from the old to the new HDD?

The 'primary' support forum thread for the Foxsat to which BH refers is HERE and it's preceding threads. But by the centre, each of the preceding threads has about 1000 posts, so good luck with that.

Last edited:
I love my Humax but I'm no expert at setting it up again with connecting it to my nas as it does now and cutting out the adverts etc and just can't face the thought of setting that all up again.
Sorry, but that's just being lazy. You configured it, you could configure it again (even if you had to make notes about how it is set up now). The benefit would be that everything is as it should be, instead of being a patchwork of patches. If you really can't configure it, what would you do if the disk really failed?

The next best option is to use the HDR-FOX to format the new disk from scratch, then use your PC to copy (not clone) the content of only the hd2 partition (the largest partition) from old to new (which will, in effect, clone your configuration). The drive isn't used for boot, so each partition is "just" data.

Last edited:
How about formatting the new HDD in the Foxsat then copy the recordings from the old to the new HDD?

The 'primary' support forum thread for the Foxsat to which BH refers ...
???

Code:
Livingroomhumax# fdisk -lu /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device  Boot      Start         End             Blocks          Id              System
/dev/sda1    *       63            2120579         1060258+        83              Linux
/dev/sda2            2120580       3886025603      1941952512      83              Linux
/dev/sda3            3886027110    3907007999      10490445        83              Linux

Livingroomhumax#
OP could have referred to the Wiki. Within the scope of this forum, the article suggests that the Humax might have been able to set up the new drive by itself.

Supposing that we were in the CF forum, the linked article suggests a recommended partition layout and sets of parameters for each filesystem which could have been used to set up the new drive.

Having said that, it does appear that running resize2fs /dev/sda2 (NB resize2fs) in Maintenance Mode should result in the desired increase in video storage space. Apparently resize2fs isn't one of the extfs utilities built into the CF (though I don't have a HDR handy to check that version), so OP would need to install the e2fsprogs package and then copy the program to the flash file system, before unmounting and resizing partition 2:
Code:
cp -i /mod/sbin/resize2fs /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod
umount /dev/sda2
/var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod/resize2fs /dev/sda2

Also, it should be possible to retrofit the filesystem parameters (again in Maintenance Mode):
Code:
/sbin/tune2fs -r 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
/sbin/tune2fs -r 0 -O sparse_super,largefile /dev/sda2
/sbin/tune2fs -r 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3
This is according to the FM -- I haven't exercised these procedures myself.

Last edited:
/dev/sda2 2120580 3886025603 1941952512 83 Linux
That is the problem. The partition is the correct size but the file system is using only half of the available space. As has been said several times you need to extend the file system to fill the partition.

@/df Re your ???. There is a link under the word HERE which is blue to indicate a link. It's to the Foxsat custom thread on AVF.
Really? It lacks use of the code tag (see Newbies' Guide). 😡
I realised that, but didn't want too many pops in one post. 😍
But it did get rid of everything being repeated in the same post.

Back