[Resolved] Box wont boot with custom firmware

I have two Humax boxes just over a metre from where I sit. FVP-5000T and HDR-1000S both have 2TB Seagate pipeline drives even with both recording can't hear anything. Only time I can hear the 5000T drive is when the drive spins up, thereafter it's inaudible.

I suspect it varies on the specific drives and newer high capacity drives will be quieter, following your comment I decided to measure mine:

Background noise: 26dB
Humax Fox T2 with Seagate Pipeline HD 5900 (500Gb) Measured outside box but mic against box: 38dB
Humax Foxsat with WDC WD5000 AVDS (500Gb) Measured outside box but mic against box: 32dB
Seagate Pipline HD 9GC132 (320Gb the old faulty drive) Measured adjacent the drive outside any box: 38dB

For comparison, Seagate Backup Plus External 2.5" (2Tb) 30dB

In all cases I`ve measured constant noise and ignored any read head movement noise (4-5db more in all cases)

These figures mean I cannot hear the Foxsat when sat a normal distance away for viewing, I can hear the T2 but once the TV is on neither are audible.

Sorry if this has been raised before, couldn't find it in the forum

I have a foxsat hdr with a possibly sick hard drive, though it currently works OK

I have upgraded the loader to 7.54

If I install the custom firmware the box hangs on switch on (no display on screen or front panel) unless I disconnect the hard drive, when it boots normally.

Putting back the humax firmware (1.00.21) the box boots OK and functions normally but I have had issues with the HDD (I had to re-format it outside of the box)

My main reason for adding the custom firmware is to test the HDD, is there any way to get past the boot issue with the custom firmware, has anyone tried hot plugging the HDD post boot?

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but Matthew, there is a chance that you have downloaded the Rayden Custom Firmware recently. I have been trying today, but the links seem to be broken. Are they still live? If not, could you or someone suggest how I might download 4.1.3?

Many thanks,
Philip

Thanks, af123, trev and Matthew. Now downloaded and installed. I an very grateful. It looks very impressive ... an elegant piece of work. Many, many thanks.

Did you pick up 'nowster's patch' to decrypt the HD stuff? Just in case you didn't, HERE'S a link to it in my dropbox.

Thanks. Yes, I did download the patch but I haven’t been able to install it yet. I get an error message saying that my USB stick isn’t formatted correctly. This is strange as it is the one that I used for the upgrade. Reformatting hasn’t helped. I guess I need to try a different one. Thanks for your help.

Thanks. Yes, I did download the patch but I haven’t been able to install it yet. I get an error message saying that my USB stick isn’t formatted correctly. This is strange as it is the one that I used for the upgrade. Reformatting hasn’t helped. I guess I need to try a different one. Thanks for your help.
If you have telnet enabled on your box and PC telnet into the box IP address in a CMD window.

Copy and Paste the following and enter it after the Foxsat prompt. Reboot the box to load the patch

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have telnet installed yet .... Same problem.

I had the same issue with my flash drive, but I found if I plugged in the drive then booted up the patch got installed, although the box later said could not read the drive!

There is no immediate indication that the patch is there, though if you look at the files on the drive they are changed to show that, you have to reboot again before it starts to work.

I had the same issue with my flash drive, but I found if I plugged in the drive then booted up the patch got installed, although the box later said could not read the drive!

There is no immediate indication that the patch is there, though if you look at the files on the drive they are changed to show that, you have to reboot again before it starts to work.

Thank you everyone. I used a random 16Gb FAT32 thumb drive and it worked perfectly. I now have everything installed. I now need to understand what is possible and learn how to do things. Thank you Raydon et al. The documentation looks superb and what is not there seems to be covered in these pages. Thanks everyone for your efforts ... and your helpfulness and professionalism.

Just install the utc version and you will be certain that you have the right one.
If your recordings were OK after the clocks changed (several times since the utc version was issued) then you have the correct one.

Back