Restart Required message each time a recording is scheduled on WebIf

demon45

Hi all,

Just getting used to the HDR-FOX-T2 again after a few years away (last had one when the only option was Foxy).

Everything seems to be working ok except that every time I use the web interface EPG to schedule a recording the restart required message and reboot now icon comes up in the top right corner. The recording doesn't work unless the reboot is undertaken. The same problem does not occur using the box and remote control directly. The only packages I have installed are web-if and auto-unprotect.

I can't see anything obvious in the logs available from the diagnostic page. I have tried rebooting and reinstalling the CF. Any thoughts on things to look at please before I wipe everything and start again. There's nothing on the HDD i need to save if wiping that is part of a solution.

Thank in advance.

Last edited:
Settings, Advanced Settings, Real-time scheduling

Wiping and starting again won't achieve anything useful. Stating version number of CF and WebIf would be useful.

That's how it works. (You can make several schedule changes and then a single reboot to lock them in; you don't need to reboot for each one as you go.)

There is an additional package (RTS) that can avoid this need, but it has/had downsides.

Everything seems to be working ok except that every time I use the web interface EPG to schedule a recording the restart required message and reboot now icon comes up in the top right corner. The recording doesn't work unless the reboot is undertaken. The same problem does not occur using the box and remote control directly. The only packages I have installed are web-if and auto-unprotect.
This is correct. The recording database is locked and cannot be modified (except by the Humax settop process, ie the normal on-screen menus and RC handset) in normal operation. We get around this by queueing updates until the unit is being rebooted, when the CF sneaks in and updates the database before it gets locked again. This applies whether the scheduling is being done via WebIF or RS.

Mostly this won't matter (unless, like me, you run your HDR 24/7) – as it regularly starts up for normal operations, it will be updated with new schedule entries providing you are scheduling sufficiently in advance. It's inconvenient if you do run 24/7 or make late decisions.

before I wipe everything and start again.
That will achieve nothing whatsoever, as did reinstalling CF, because it's not a fault.

HOWEVER...

That's not the end of the story. WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Real-time scheduling? = YES.

This setting bypasses the need for a reboot to amend the schedule by WebIF or RS, but it comes with a health warning: there have been many (but rare) instances where recordings scheduled this way go into "run away", meaning they don't terminate at the correct time and continue until manual intervention or the disc space runs out. This also prevents subsequent recordings occurring.

I emphasis that these cases are rare, but use at your own risk (and report occurrences because it helps work out the cause and possible prevention). We (some of us) find the convenience is worth the risk.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/real-time-scheduling-schedule-without-rebooting.7322/

Last edited:
The recording database is locked and cannot be modified (except by the Humax settop process
It isn't, and it can be, but doing so has no effect as that doesn't change anything in the list in the memory of said process.

It isn't, and it can be, but doing so has no effect as that doesn't change anything in the list in the memory of said process.
Technically: fair enough... but the same effect, and I submit "locked" is more easily understood from the point of view of a "user" rather than a "developer".

That's the royal "we" I assume :)

Doing the reboot isn't a significant problem for my scheduling routine, so I value reliability over the slight convenience.
"We" as in "a fair number of users on this forum, as evidenced by body of posts". There are always exceptions, and circumstances where the benefits are less significant, which is why the health warning is appropriate.

Hello all,

Thank you for the quick replies. I did read quite a lot of the wiki and guides before leaping in. I don't recall seeing anything written about a reboot being needed following scheduling some recordings (no need to post the link to point out my lack of attention to detail).

I'll try the RTS and the reboot approach. I appreciate the health warning of the RTS option. Best to try it now whilst there are no valuable recordings on the box.

Thanks again !

Settings, Advanced Settings, Real-time scheduling

Wiping and starting again won't achieve anything useful. Stating version number of CF and WebIf would be useful.
Thanks. Yes, sorry re version numbers. I think I have the answer but just for reference the version numbers are:

Web interface version: 1.4.9
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
Loader Version: a7.33

At least you picked up the on-screen reboot message. Another user just looked and ignored them, then wondered why it didn't work.

Best to try it now whilst there are no valuable recordings on the box.
Existing recordings are irrelevant, not in danger, and the more space there is on the HDD the more space there is for a run-away recording.

I think I have the answer but just for reference the version numbers are
All good, but you never know when somebody is stuck on something ancient, and unless they say or you ask, you can't be sure that your answer is relevant.

I think that particular problem has been virtually, if not completely, eliminated. It certainly isn't worth worrying about any more.
That depends on attitude to risk and the balance of benefits. IIRC I have had at least one run-away since the last tweak.

+1 for using RTS. In the worst case (never happened to me) you generate a useful test case. Having said that I don't generally schedule a lot of closely separated shows, if that might be a contributory factor.

That's how it works. (You can make several schedule changes and then a single reboot to lock them in; you don't need to reboot for each one as you go.)

There is an additional package (RTS) that can avoid this need, but it has/had downsides.
Does it require a separate package?
I can't remember installing, nor can I locate, a package called RTS. I thought I'd just selected the option on the Web-If settings tab.

1640521762118.png

Reactions: /df
Back