Retune 21-3-18 (Rowridge) - lost Com 8 (Resolved)

...your aerial/downlead/rx infrastructure is in need of attention.
I'd agree something could be improved.

I've just run a check on the signal levels here in Guildford from Crystal Palace using an Antiference XG9BK (combined Group A & B/470-734MHz), a 15dB amp left over from analogue days when it was needed for Channel Five, an 8-way Global Loftbox and all cabling in CF100/PF100 and F connectors. Measured on an HDR-T2.

Channel__ERP_____Level
22________200kW__87%
23________200kW__85%
25________200kW__89%
26________200kW__88%
28________200kW__90%
30________200kW__90%
55________43kW___75% (743.25MHz)
56________40kW___75% (751.25MHz)

Pretty much what I'd expect, bearing in mind the reduced power levels of CH55 & 56 and their being above the aerial's working range.
Plugging in a 10dB attenuator drops these figures by 9-10% so 10% = 10dB on the HDR.

(Apologies if my table formatting workaround doesn't work once posted.) Looks like it's OK.

Last edited:
Have you still got COM8? If you have, then something weird is happening. If not, then your aerial/downlead/rx infrastructure is in need of attention.
No I don't have Com7 or Com8 - I had originally only checked some Com7 channels.
The digital.uk page does indicate I might need an aerial upgrade to receive them now :( Isn't progress wonderful

I was rather confused by the Mux info on the Webif diag pages which while it shows the correct channel numbers bears no relationship to the current signal strengths for Com7/8.
Presumably this is a snapshot taken in the dim and distant past when I last did a full retune and all the muxes were on receivable channels.
With tunefix-update removing the need for retunes is there a way of getting up to date signal information in the webif?
(not sure why com7 show as unknown)

1-Fullscreen capture 02052018 192543.jpg1-Fullscreen capture 02052018 192543.jpg

No. We are in the hands of the stats gathered by the OEM code at the time of a retune.
But a lot of what was thought impossible has proven possible over the years.

The real time data must be accessible since the sui can display it varying - it would just require @af123 ploughing through the source code which he might not have the time or inclination to do!

I was rather confused by the Mux info on the Webif diag pages which while it shows the correct channel numbers bears no relationship to the current signal strengths for Com7/8.
That raises an interesting point. Should tunefix-update kill the existing figures when it moves a mux. to a different RF channel?
I'm thinking it probably should, to save confusion.
With tunefix-update removing the need for retunes is there a way of getting up to date signal information in the webif?
The only way I can think of is to manipulate the database manually, with the Humax software not running. Or do a retune.
(not sure why com7 show as unknown)
Presumably you don't have BBC News HD. Or your WebIf is ancient.

That raises an interesting point. Should tunefix-update kill the existing figures when it moves a mux. to a different RF channel?
I'm thinking it probably should, to save confusion.
I'd say it should - the data is simply not applicable, even if the numbers happen to be the same.

I'd take that out if I were you. Certainly not needed on your installation.
Easy enough to remove as it's inside the loft, but as theres's what looks to be at least 10dB of headroom and no overloading problems it's been left in.

Back