Retuning Again

quarkrad

Sincere apologies for yet another post on the auto retuning - but this is the first it has happened to me (losing everything). I have installed the disable-OTA package but it looks to me like all it does is create a reminder, not actually stop the box from doing it's thing. Or am I totally wrong here? I do not have the disable-dso package as an option to download so perhaps it is already installed - but I do know where it is. So to be a pain.

Disable-OTA is designed to prevent new Humax firmware versions being installed, there are no Humax OTAs planned at present. Disable-dso is the one you needed to prevent a digital switch over (re-tune) event being, there is no hurry in installing this either as there are no more dso event at present. you can check which packages are installed with Web-If >> Package Management >> Installed and Available screens

Well, you say that. I've just come home from a week away to find that our box has retuned itself, wiped all schedules, and fixated (as before) on BBC1 West Bloody Midlands. So, nothing has recorded in the last week.

I'm beginning to think that dumping this box and getting one of the instant-rewind types would be a bonus. HDR-2000T?

So you didn't have disable-dso installed then?

AFAIK, the 2000T is just the updated HDR-FOX (without the benefit of customised firmware). By "instant rewind" I think you are taking about YouView - and that is out of the frying pan and into the fire!

No- so far I've resisted the custom firmware because it's been in warranty. Now it's out, it may be the way to go.

I didn't fret as I wasn't expecting another retune, as it only did one a short while ago.

But once the damn thing has let you down, it might be nice to be able to use YouView. You not a fan of YouView then?

I might, of course, get a YouView machine and run it in parallel. If I'm not using it for recording, there may be no reason to lash out for a Humax.....

The YouView machines don't exactly get a glowing write-up - see the relevant section of this forum!

I have both a T2 (with CF) and a YouView.
Believe me the YouView isn't even in the same league. I've mothballed the YouView and bought a second T2 as backup instead.

Hi,

I'm new and joined to highlight the madness that is enforced automatic retuning. It may be my bad luck but every year at least one retune happens while I'm away and wipes at least a week out of my schedule - meaning catch-up has usually expired when I get back, and leaving me with 2 options:

Buying the whole insanely expensive boxed set for just the 1-5 missing episodes - or
A 2-to-5 year wait for repeats to get back to what I missed (if ever).

I have a suggestion.

More than 50% of the time I'm recording stuff because I'm out of the house or out of the city. This is what PVRs are for - if they don't do it then they unfit for the purpose they were bought for...

There is also the duty to support essential functions - which is implicit when you purchase any device in order to take advantage of its main purpose. That means niggles about internet access and quality are peripheral, but failure to record is fundamental.

Why don't we get together and investigate taking a legal class action challenge against Humax?? I will be writing to Which? magazine and if I can provide a percentage of HDR Fox users who are thoroughly P!$$€d-0££ with Humax they may be prepared to help.

I'm particularly keen to get payback for the imbecilic replies I've been getting from Humax - they simply refuse to see it as their problem - or pretend to.

I keep repeating that their own T1 machines don't do it this way and they keep ignoring it and pretend it's DigitalUK's problem - especially panicky when I suggested Trading standards and class actions.

I'm pretty sure the support guy is being well paid to pretend to be a moron - he just keeps repeating himself no matter how many times I say it's about how they (mis)handle it rather than about the retune itself.

I used to get mad enough when they denied any 9200 T1 faults existed - in just the same way - but at least they used to fix them on the quiet.

Hope we can help each other out.

Regards.

Unfortunately I think most users who were thoroughly P! $$€ d-0££ with humax over the automatic retuning have installed custom firmware and fixed the issue themselves.
Obviously users shouldn't have to be messing around with their PVRs in order to get them to record consistently so I support you in principle - it shouldn't be too hard for humax to change the code so scheduled recordings are kept following a retune or provide an option to disable automatic updates/retunes.

Why don't we get together and investigate taking a legal class action challenge against Humax??
I appreciate your indignation, but in order to pursue a legal case you will have to demonstrate and put a value on damages that a court would recognise. In the best case, the damages are that you spent £300 (or thereabouts) on a domestic device which is not fit for purpose, and the cost of bringing an action would exceed the possible recovery by orders of magnitude with only a small likelihood of being awarded costs even if the case was won.

Alternatively you could pursue a small claims court action individually on the same basis.

Or you could just install the customised firmware and fix the problem.

Unfortunately I think most users who were thoroughly P! $$€ d-0££ with humax over the automatic retuning have installed custom firmware and fixed the issue themselves.
Obviously users shouldn't have to be messing around with their PVRs in order to get them to record consistently so I support you in principle - it shouldn't be too hard for humax to change the code so scheduled recordings are kept following a retune or provide an option to disable automatic updates/retunes.

I'm sure you correctly reflect the feelings of those who are active on this forum - but I'm also very confident that the majority of Humax owners buy them because PVRs are the most convenient, foolproof and efficient way to keep up with soaps/Downton etc.

In fact I have identical feelings about other series (and some that are much harder to catch-up on).

I just hope there are enough passive readers of this thread who are less immersed in tech but might still be interested in a solution that uses tools they can understand.

Just because they aren't deeply tech-savvy and don't want to constantly tweak the damn thing - it doesn't mean they aren't prepared understand the problem or to put some effort into making it go away...

On the other hand I must admit that is my own experience of coding decision boxes that makes it so absolutely infuriating to witness such staggering incompetence from Humax - either that or their utter and total distain for their users - it can only be one or the other.

Perhaps I should try to add a different forum to the cause? Any suggestions?

I think the "My Humax"one would be a waste of time - am I right in saying they are hand-in-glove apologists?

Regards.

Last edited:
I appreciate your indignation, but in order to pursue a legal case you will have to demonstrate and put a value on damages that a court would recognise. In the best case, the damages are that you spent £300 (or thereabouts) on a domestic device which is not fit for purpose, and the cost of bringing an action would exceed the possible recovery by orders of magnitude with only a small likelihood of being awarded costs even if the case was won.

Alternatively you could pursue a small claims court action individually on the same basis.

Or you could just install the customised firmware and fix the problem.

I think it's a numbers game - if we can get enough support we can get Which? on our side - and your support as real experts will be essential since Humax themselves (who should be experts but are obviously idiots) will continue to insist it is out of their control.

Which? and the media will then provide the necessary pressure. A bad headline could cost them a LOT of money.

How about something like "Humax will take your money for a box that Which? recommends, and then totally £#<k it up for you - and leave you in the lurch"??

Keep 'em coming!

Regards.

On the other hand I must admit that is my own experience of coding decision boxes that makes it so absolutely infuriating to witness such staggering incompetence from Humax - either that or their utter and total distain for their users - it can only be one or the other.
No, I'm sure it can be both, not just one or the other.
I think the "My Humax"one would be a waste of time - am I right in saying they are hand-in-glove apologists?
You may very well think that Minny. I couldn't possibly comment.

Reactions: aw1
Francis Urquhart (or Frank Underwood) makes an interesting comment (or doesn't, as he couldn't possibly) in response to Humour Min. This forum is clearly run by grassroots enthusiasts: I can remember when we all had to put 50p in the meter to get the lights back on. MHO has a more corporate, AstroTurf feel to it. I have not found anywhere to donate to its running (not that I have looked too hard). Is it merely a flaccid organ of Humax UK?

Last edited:
Reactions: aw1
Back