RF modulator?

If you believe QI (and who does?), Il Duce only managed to get one train to run on time - the one that was supposed to take him somewhere.

It's a fallacy that Mussolini did that. He didn't, so I'm not certain how you expect TM to do it.:frantic:
I very much doubt that TM would be capable of making the trains run on time, though I could believe she would promise to make Britain's trains great again, vow that all trains would be adorned with red, white and blue bunting in future, and then fail to deliver.

I think we have had a topic drift here. But I suppose as the original topic was pretty much played out as no one pointed out any glaring errors in my plan, that's OK.

Reinstatement of the car tax disc, and addition of an insurance disc;

So you want the car to be insured, rather than drivers? That Ferrari 488 GTE will need insurance covering the owner's boy racer teenage son, or will it also cover the prick who stole it and killed an innocent couple walking home on the pavement?

That'll raise our premiums...

That's not the point. The point is that we, the law-abiding public, now have no means to observe that the cars parked in our streets are legally entitled to be there (other than the fuss of typing every licence plate we see into a web form). It is overwhelmingly the case that any particular car is covered for its various drivers on one insurance policy, so that's not really a problem any worse than the current situation.

The disc (or triangle, or whatever) would be evidence that the vehicle is insured on somebody's policy, not that the current driver is necessarily insured on it.

So you want the car to be insured, rather than drivers?
Er. It is the car that's insured. It's not in the way I believe it is done in the U.S. but the car is still the basis. If I own several cars there will be a policy for each car with one or more drivers attached, not one for me with several cars on it.

Er. It is the car that's insured. It's not in the way I believe it is done in the U.S. but the car is still the basis. If I own several cars there will be a policy for each car with one or more drivers attached, not one for me with several cars on it.
I disagree. It is the car and driver(s) that are insured, but other drivers can also insure themselves to drive that car.

One car can have many insurence policies with different drivers, and one driver can insure themselves on many cars. It is a many to many relationship.

One car can have many insurence policies with different drivers
Have you actually done that? I think you would have difficulty. The insurance industry definitely sees their policies on a per-vehicle basis, with a primary policy holder and then additional named or un-named drivers. Vehicles have a single registered keeper (not necessarily the owner), and if it's not the registered keeper that is taking out the policy there will be all sorts of difficult questions.

Have you actually done that? I think you would have difficulty. The insurance industry definitely sees their policies on a per-vehicle basis, with a primary policy holder and then additional named or un-named drivers. Vehicles have a single registered keeper (not necessarily the owner), and if it's not the registered keeper that is taking out the policy there will be all sorts of difficult questions.

I have certainly insured my wife's car under my own name. It's an interesting question, though.

Edit: Just looked at the uk.gov rules and it says the registered owner must insure the vehicle, you are quite right. As my wife is a named driver on my policy, did that satisfy the dvla? Or do they just verify there is at least one policy on the car?

Either way, the insurance disk sounds good, and you get my vote! :)

Where do you stand on Brexit?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Having paid into the "club" for this long, it seems daft to stop paying the insurance premiums just before we might need to claim on them.

Back