Rm Series replacement remote control not working

Lychch

My humax remote control's OK button is not working well (a common problem I can see) so searching for a replacement handset led me to this replacement on Amazon, the RM series (not allowed to post external links but there's only one)

Despite promising it would work immediately it doesn't. The power light on the remote lights up when buttons are pressed so the battery & remote seem to work fine.

On the reviews in Amazon section, I've found that it might be due to the Humax not being in Mode 1. Since my OK button on my original Humax remote isn't working I can't use the standard way of resetting the mode (if it needs resetting) by pressing the 0 and OK buttons.

Thankfully those super experienced users here with your many helpful guides has meant I have now installed custom software and the IR package and followed the instructions in this thread to change the mode via the command line.

This is what I've done. I don't really understand how this works too well but it appears that despite setting my Mode to MODE 1, the CURmode has gone back to 0x7f - am I right? Or has this changed successfully and this still doesn't fix my issue?

humax# ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODE1
CURMODE (0x7f)
MODE (0x70)
DELAY2
MODE1 (0x71)
humax# ir CURMODE MODE
CURMODE (0x7f)
MODE (0x70)
humax#

Any advice on either the above or how to get my RM series remote to work, or suggest alternatives? Obviously now I have the web interface working I can use this but I would obviously just like a functioning remote! Thanks in advance!

A

This is what I've done. I don't really understand how this works too well but it appears that despite setting my Mode to MODE 1, the CURmode has gone back to 0x7f - am I right? Or has this changed successfully and this still doesn't fix my issue?
No, the hex values are just the actual codes sent by the remote, eg 0x7f = 7*16+15 = 127, a byte with most significant bit 0 and the rest 1s.

To see the configured mode you have to send CURMODE MODE, which is what the remote sends when you hold OK+0. Then BACK (or just wait for it to time out) to clear the on-screen message.

The Custom Firmware has a menu setting for remote control mode I.e.:-
Menu Page >> Remote >> Channel Shortcuts >> Customise >> Remote Control Mode

2019-02-08_14.07.07.jpg

Thanks for your help with this, I've set it to Mode 1 but the new remote still doesn't work :(

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement remotes?

Also not sure if this helps but having installed the custom firmware I don't appear to be able to use WEB-IF GUI Remote either, e.g. if I select a channel from the drop down list it doesn't automatically change the channel

Have you actually checked its output, as per post 3?

if I select a channel from the drop down list it doesn't automatically change the channel
You need the ir package installed, and the WebIF settings need the correct mode set.

I started using my RDR T2 again in November after a period of six years living where I couldn't get a reliable terrestrial signal. My original remote stopped working after about six weeks so I got a replacement RM-F04 off Amazon in the RM series, I already had a replacement remote from them for my mini music centre and that worked fine. This morning it simply stopped working after I dropped it: no lights on the control surface, no apparent IR signal when buttons pressed, batteries ok. I've checked the items listed in the 'Things every..' section and none of these seem to apply. What can be going on?

I'm returning it to Amazon if I can't get it working, original Humax models are apparently only available for c £40 second hand. Can anyone recommend a reliable replacement?

OK. Ignore that last message. The first time I tried the 'Source' thing it didn't appear to work. I tried again just now and it did. I don't think this was what was wrong with the original, there were buttons sticking or needing several presses to actually work with that, it must have degraded in some way during the seven years in the attic.

I recently bought a replacement remote for a Marantz amplifier from YDX-Universal-Remote-Store on eBay and am pleased with it.
It was delivered in 3 days (UK stock?).
It looks very much like the original, slightly different dimensions, and no Marantz label.
Their RM-F04 replacement is £6.99 with free postage.
Should mine stop working, I would go to them for a replacement.

Back