RS communication problem

MontysEvilTwin

I look after a HDR-FOX at a different location (I am there at the moment). Remote scheduling is working but there is a communication problem. The unit is on 3.10/ 1.03.12 (CFW/ FW) and packages update automatically. When the unit is fully awake (manual intervention) the behaviour is as expected; the last seen time is updated every 10 mins and events are logged on the RS server. During the overnight disable OTA event, the last seen time is updated but there is no logging. For example, on one of my other units the following was logged during the disable OTA event:
Code:
Time    Message
06/12/2016 04:23:36    Updated disk contents.
06/12/2016 04:18:17    System booted (Scheduled event).
These events were not recorded for the unit in question.
During a scheduled recording, when the unit is half awake, there is no logging and the the last seen time is not updated. The local RS log contains the following entries:
Code:
Error: 7 - Couldn't connect to server
So it looks like the unit is trying to connect to the RS server but is failing. The HDR-FOX is connected to the router by WiFi, but all the additional wireless packages (e.g. wireless helper) are installed. While scheduled recordings are ongoing (unit half awake) I can open Webif, transfer files to and from the unit over the network etc. so I don't understand why it can't talk to the RS server. I have force reinstalled the RS and WiFi packages but this made no difference. Any ideas?

Code:
Humax# rs -d log test                                                           
SQLite3: 3.15.1                                                                 
Curl version: libcurl/7.19.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0a zlib/1.2.3                           
String: bare&mac=00:03:78:&host=Humax&id= 
d&msg=test
There is the output. I've edited out ids, though this probably was unnecessary. af123 - if you need the id values I can message you or post them, if you think this is OK.

Edit. RS has now logged an entry for this test. Should I try it again when the system is half awake?

Last edited:
That message reached the server okay at 2016-12-06 14:01:17.
Everything looks ok, it just appears that it didn't have a connection at that time. Is it possible the network was slow to come up (wireless or slow DHCP server)?

That message reached the server okay at 2016-12-06 14:01:17.
Everything looks ok, it just appears that it didn't have a connection at that time. Is it possible the network was slow to come up (wireless or slow DHCP server)?
The network connection seems to establish pretty quickly. The IP address has been assigned manually. I'll start a recording, put it into standby and send the test again while half awake.

I did just have a problem with WiFi after I started the recording and put the unit into standby. I could not connect to the box, and when I turned it back on it had forgotten its wireless settings. I had to stop the recording and reboot to bring the WiFi back up. The test also worked, and was logged on the RS server while half awake. It now seems to be communicating while half awake too. I will schedule a recording from the guide and then put the unit into full standby and see what happens.

I have now identified the problem. It was a WiFi issue, nothing to do with RS. In Webif> Settings> Network Settings> Wireless Interface the authentication parameters were missing; all other fields were correctly populated. I selected the correct type (WPA2/ AES, in this case) saved and rebooted. Now it is communicating correctly with RS when half-awake. I presume that when fully on, the HDR-FOX handles the wireless connection, with wireless helper doing the job when half-awake. Without the authentication type the unit can't connect to the router by WiFi.

Glad you've solved it.
You're right, the Humax software handles wireless when fully awake.
wireless-helper takes care of it the rest of the time. No idea why Humax don't bring the wireless up when half awake.

Well, in as much as the only network activity the standard firmware can participate in would need the box to be fully awake, they probably didn't see much need - and that the Ethernet port is live is probably just an oversight.

Back