[rs] Remote Scheduling Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I should schedule a reboot from within the portal and then schedule a recording as a subsequent command?

Thanks
Geoff

Eh? You need the reboot to transfer pending (queued) commands into the Humax's recording schedule - so the reboot comes last. Ideally you set up recordings a day or two in advance so that the normal process of waking from standby to perform a scheduled recording provides the reboots without any additional cycling.

Note that forced reboots from the WebIF or RS are not 100% reliable and the Humax can sometimes get stuck in standby.

I've just installed (yesterday) the Customised Firmware 2.11 alongside FW 1.02.20. and installed and registered the Remote Scheduling package.

This morning around 8:00am, via my laptop, I scheduled a one-off "test" recording on BBC 1 - with the box set to wake up at 9:00am (to pick up any overnight additions) The web site confirmed that I had one scheduled item in the queue.

It seems the wake-up happened on-time this morning, but the program failed to record :(

If I look in the schedule (Program Guide + yellow button on the handset) I see an entry for this BBC1 program, but its date & time details are blank (looks a bit like a "series link" type entry that is waiting for the next episode)

Last night I had another recording get right to the end, then report that it was "zero" minutes and wouldn't play.

This particular box is 2 years old - so not a new-out-of-the-box model.

Anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
TJ

Not enough boots. If the box is not running at the time you schedule via RS, it needs to wake up and phone home to be sent the schedule updates to its own internal pending queue, and then do another warm start to incorporate them into the real schedule.

(This and the previous post were moved from the WebIF topic)

Thank for your reply BH. Sorry to go over basic stuff, but can I just clarify....

(Sorry, missed your link!)

Here's a description of the states a recording can be in. The Wiki contains some of this http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Scheduling but could probably be enhanced with more descriptions or a flowchart.

Queued
This is a recording which has been scheduled via the RS Portal and is waiting there until the Humax next comes along and fetches it. It will do that shortly after every boot and around every 10 minutes whilst it's powered on (it's every 10 minutes with an additional random delay of between 0 and 120 seconds) to stagger server load.​
Pending
This is a recording which has been placed in the pending recordings list on the Humax itself. It will be moved into the Active queue during the next boot.​
Active
The standard Humax recording schedule.​

So, the result is that:
  • if you schedule something remotely while the Humax is in standby, it needs two boots for the recording to move into the active list;
  • if you schedule something remotely while the Humax is on, it will move to the pending list within 12 minutes and then one further boot is required to move it to the active list.
In both of those cases, you can queue a reboot now command to the Humax to reduce the number of requires boots by one.

So, if you schedule a new recording followed by a reboot
  • when the Humax is in standby, it will boot and retrieve the queued item and place it in its pending list and then reboot as long as the box is not busy recording or playing back (NB: this works best for boxes in AR mode as there is up to a 15 minute window before the recording starts);
  • when the Humax is running, it will retrieve the recording into the pending list within 12 minutes and then reboot itself providing it is not busy.
There is a risk with sending a remote reboot command. Some people have reported that the box does not come back properly and stays in standby. I would avoid it if possible.

If you use the RS Portal's auto scheduling feature then it automatically sets things to record as they appear in the EPG data. The EPG spans the next seven days so it will generally be setting recordings that are seven days away - plenty of time for the normal box wake-up/sleep cycles to move the event naturally into the active list.

One further point, if you use a wireless dongle to connect your Humax to the Internet then you should install the wireless-helper package as otherwise it does not initialise the wireless when it wakes up to do a recording, so there are fewer opportunities for it to talk to the RS Server.

Is there any way to turn off the logging in rs ?

The rs.log on one of my boxes had grown to more than 6MB, so I thought that I would take a look at it before deleting it. Nearly all of it consisted of, the following repeated over and over again.

Code:
Processing command ' '
!Unknown command ''
Processing command ' '
!Unknown command ''
Processing command ' '
!Unknown command ''
Processing command ' '
!Unknown command ''
Processing command ' '
!Unknown command ''

Then towards the very end, the following repeated over and over again.

Code:
Error encountered, Error: 6 - Couldn't resolve host name

Is there some command that I can telnet in to stop this?

Not at the moment, but rs itself will delete its own log once it reaches 10MiB so it can't grow indefinitely.

Hi, I'm getting an email from the RS portal every hour, on the hour, with the same message in it:

ITV4 [Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:55:00 +0100 / 01:00]
Euro 2012 Highlights
Matt Smith presents highlights from the second semi-final
between Germany and Italy in Warsaw. Analysis from Roberto
Martinez, Gordon Strachan and Gareth Southgate.
=== Series recording occurs too soon. ===

Is it me, or has the RS stopped putting programmes in the EPG that I have set to record highlighted in blue?

I am sure they used to be highlighted in blue before, unless I am having another senior moment!:confused:

Is it me, or has the RS stopped putting programmes in the EPG that I have set to record highlighted in blue?

I am sure they used to be highlighted in blue before, unless I am having another senior moment!:confused:
Let me have a look at that for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back