[rs] Remote Scheduling Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Following a successful test period, the Remote Scheduling Portal is now open for public testing.

What It Is

It's a web site which enables you to manage your list of scheduled recordings while you're out and about, from anywhere with a web browser and Internet connection, without having to expose your Humax device to the Internet or leave it powered on. As long as your Humax has Internet access and wakes up occasionally to check for updates* or make a recording, it will work.

* By default, Humax HD[R] Fox T2 devices wake up at 04:30 BST to check for updates.

Current Status

Public Testing - The sytem has been extensively tested by volunteers from this site and appears largely stable. However, some bugs may remain so it is still regarded as under test. You use it at your own risk.

How to get started.
  • Make sure you're running at least version 1.11 of the modified firmware (http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads);
  • Install the latest webif and rs packages;
  • Go to the Settings page in your device's local web interface and register with the remote scheduling service;
  • Wait for your initial password to arrive via email;
  • Access http://rs.hummypkg.org.uk/ and accept the terms and conditions to get started.
Some more notes on how to use the service are on the Wiki at
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Scheduling (Thanks to oijonesey). These notes will no doubt be updated over time and feel free to contribute yourselves.

Wireless Users

If your Humax is usually connected to your network via wireless, then it will not connect to the wireless network when it wakes up to make a recording. You can install the wireless-helper package to change this behaviour and increase the opportunities for your Humax to check for new recordings.

Known Issues (struck out when fixed)

• Remote Scheduling is not compatible with devices using padding for recordings instead of Accurate Recording (AR). This will be addressed in the next update;
  • The EPG data displayed on the portal is not yet regionalised so you may see programmes from a particular region rather than your own. However, when you schedule a recording based on a regional programme then that will be adjusted automatically to reflect your local schedule. This will be addressed in a future update.
  • The EPG display currently takes no account of the channels which are available on your device.
  • The conflict checking is still a little keen and may flag conflicts when there are none.
  • Setting wake-up/sleep events miscalculates the event times by an hour during BST.
  • This service has not yet been tested with HD Fox T2 devices although it should support them.
  • The wireless-helper package currently only supports wireless networks using WPA or WPA2. It is planned to extend support to at least WEP in a future release.

No more than the sign-in page on forum sites like this one really... The site doesn't use https at the moment, it might in the future, but the information isn't really sensitive.

Should we not be concerned that the sign in page is not secure, https. ?
I'm guessing it's not cheap to get a Verisign certificate.
I'm not too concerned. I'l use a password that is unique to the site and, should someone get into my account, they'll be able to schedule a recording.

Lordy!
:frantic:

cool. That's what I originally thought but then when I used my rubbish password I was told it was too short. exactly same length as the original password provided by the website.?

Just tried it with tonight's Eggheads. Worked as described.
I'm officially gobsmacked. Congratulations af123.:D

I have just installed this, and see that the EPG lists all channels. Would it be possible to add the option for the user to choose which channels are shown, as I only have the four HD channels tuned into my box.

cool. That's what I originally thought but then when I used my rubbish password I was told it was too short. exactly same length as the original password provided by the website.?

Yeah - it enforces 8 characters but doesn't enforce anything else.

I have just installed this, and see that the EPG lists all channels. Would it be possible to add the option for the user to choose which channels are shown, as I only have the four HD channels tuned into my box.

Yes - that's planned. The site has access to the list of channels which are on your box but doesn't yet use that information.

I wanted to get it opened up for people to play with rather than wait until everything is finished. How RAD!

Yes - that's planned. The site has access to the list of channels which are on your box but doesn't yet use that information.
OK, thanks for that. I'll look forward to that feature being added.:)

That's brilliant! Just taken the plunge today with the modified firmware, and the Remote Scheduling all at the same time. Dropped a small donation, and will see how I get on.

Mucho Thanks!

PS: I wonder whether I need the wireless helper package, because my HDR is connected via ethernet cable to a wifi bridge that's always on (and all the ip addresses on the network are fixed). I'm guessing not, but I'll test it and see how I get on.

I have tried setting a couple of films to record tonight, only to find that there was a clash with an existing timer. I resolved the clash by rescheduling the existing timer to an alternative timeslot and cancelling the original scheduled timer.

After a scheduled reboot of my box, the entries have appeared in my Schedule list as expected, but when viewing via the web-if and remote scheduling site, one of the films does not have the Lightning symbol to say that it has been accepted by Humax. I have tried rebooting again, but still no symbol? do you think that this timer will still work?

? do you think that this timer will still work?

I think it will be ok. I'm not completely sure about that 'Accepted by Humax' concept. It seems valid for things set as series record, but a little hit and miss for one-off events. You might also find that it appears after another recording event has occurred.

I think it will be ok. I'm not completely sure about that 'Accepted by Humax' concept. It seems valid for things set as series record, but a little hit and miss for one-off events. You might also find that it appears after another recording event has occurred.
Thanks, I set the timers 4 hours ago, and there have been 4 recording events that have occurred since then.

One thing I've noticed is that the conflict detection is a bit keen. If an event overlaps two others, but those others don't overlap at all it flags it as a conflict..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back