Running a re-tune

Chris Green

I notice from my TV that the 'almost weekly' alteration and addition of channels is upon us again. Seemingly only Sky Three and Sky Three Plus 1 renaming themselves as Pick Tv, and 'Daystar' on channel 47.

If I run a complete retune of my Humax, will I lose my existing timers?

I can't find anything in the manual about this, and am not sure about the manual tuning instructions. Would one way ahead be to take down the channel/frequency details of Sky Three (and +1), delete them, and then get manual search to find them again?

yeah the timers will all vanish if you do a complete rescan, lunacy, i cant understand why humax cant do a fix for this, i can see that the affected channels may create a problem if there are any timers on them, but there must be a simple workaround??

you can get by this as you suggest by working out which mux these channels are broadcast on and just do a manual scan on the relevant ones, you will, of course, lose any timers set up on this mux

Thanks for that. Every time we come up against something like this the words "ah yes but on a Toppy running Mystuff (as long as all your timers are based on searches)...." come to mind!

I did indeed run the full scan and as you say, lost all the timers. However, here's a tip for future recovery. Write a keyword search for each existing timer first - they don't get deleted as I found to my delight, and make restoring timers a doddle. (Maybe someone should make that a 'stickie' in a 'How To' section) Seemingly Sky Three had deleted itself off the list by not existing any more, so taking down its details was a no-no. So what did I gain? Some renamed channels and a God-slot channel - great, just what I gave up a basic Sky package to avoid!

oh - one other point. If you manually rescan the individual MUXs then only scheduled recordings from channels from that MUX are affected. I did this recently and it worked just fine.

Sky Three and Sky Three Plus 1 renaming themselves as Pick Tv
Those channels renamed themselves on my box without me doing a rescan. I didn't have any recording schedules in place on those channels so I don't know how the rename might have affected those.

Guess I was too quick off the mark and went at it like a bull in a china shop, as per bloody usual. Still never mind, I've given myself a useful tip for when I really do have to run a re-tune.

I have a series link timer set up to record a programme from 5* (formerly Fiver), and it looks like the change of channel name (which the box picked up without need for a rescan) has not stopped the timer recording from working.

It won't as only the name has changed, not anything important like the MUX it is on or the LCN. I haven't bothered rescanning my Freeview boxes for months, since long before we lost Channel One.

Back