Samba installation error

emdubya77

When trying to install samba I get the following message:

>>> opkg install samba
Installing samba (2.2.12-6) to root...
Downloading [link removed to allow post] /samba_2.2.12-6_mipsel.opk.
Configuring samba.
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/secrets.tdb is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/secrets.tdb-opkg.

Done.

A force re-install produces a similar message. Samba is supposedly installed and "on" but I am unable to access it through my PC. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance

I would look elsewhere for your problem first. Just because you can't see the share with your PC doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Do you have anything else that could access a NAS - an iPad running the FileExplorer app for example? In that, clicking "+" to add a new connection and selecting "NAS", scroll down the dialogue and there is a network scan showing you what devices there are on your network that appear to offer NAS protocols (including all my HDR-FOXes).

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Hi BH, thanks for responding. I don't have ipad, but I've tried "ES file explorer" on my Android phone, as well as Kodi on two different devices. I can 'see' the FTP and UPnp servers without any problems - just not samba.

There's no great need for it really, but it would be nice - I just wanted an easy way to check for and move around some rogue .srt files (which don't appear in web-if) without getting my screwdriver out.

Cheers

But probably (possibly) easier to do and understand using a mapped drive and Explorer? Well, I would find that a lot easier, as I haven't a clue about FTP other than I do know what it stands for.:)

But probably (possibly) easier to do and understand using a mapped drive and Explorer? Well, I would find that a lot easier, as I haven't a clue about FTP other than I do know what it stands for.:)
Try this, Trev: in the Windows Explorer ("My Computer"; Win+E) address bar, type "ftp://<your_hummy_IP_address>"

The point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat*, and the OP is having trouble getting SMB to work (my guess is that the PC isn't recognising the service).

* I don't actually know even one way to skin a cat.

Yes, that works really well. I get a username/logon page and I don't know either. I do know that the Telnet access needs 0000. I just have to double click on my Y/ drive to access the Hummy file system.
Which is easier I ask.
Also, I didn't even know you could do that, even though I can't.

It's not hard Trev. Username = "humaxftp" Password = "0000" (unless you've changed your PIN).

The same credentials work for the standard Humax FTP server (no CF needed, turn FTP on in Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings) or the CF betaftpd package (turn FTP off in Internet Settings). To gain access to the full file system (not just the media) use the CF package with login "root". Note that betaftpd is more stable than the Humax version (no surprise there!).

Which is easier I ask.
Easier for you, or easier for someone who can't get SMB access (for any reason)?

You might find this useful knowledge one day.

Last edited:
Thanks both. I'll give that a try now.
Yep. That worked. Thanks.

But that info was not included in the suggestion that the OP FTPs to his Hummy.
Does it work OK if you don't have betaftp installed?
Obviously does as I don't.

Last edited:
Thanks both. I'll give that a try now.
Yep. That worked. Thanks. Does it work OK if you don't have betaftp installed?
I have updated post 10 while you were conversing with AF.

But that info was not included in the suggestion that the OP FTPs to his Hummy.
:oops:

This conversation has developed some new knowledge, which needs feeding back into the standard sources (such as the Telnet wiki page).

Back