Samba Share create read only account

rodp

Hi All,

I'd like to lock down my Humax on the network and give people guest (read only) access whilst I can log in giving me full write access. I came across this thread Samba share RO for guests which showed some settings and I wondered what I'd need to change on the config file on my humax (see pic below) and whether changing the access in this way would impact any other processes ranging from smb / cif setup from the media folder to auto processes such as de-dup, cropping, converting to mp3 or decrypting to any other sort of behind the scenes admin process or even some maintenance things.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Rodp

1573416200021.png

I shudder at the 'guest account = root', which could make the whole system wide open to anyone.
That web page you quote seems to be a well of bad ideas - I think you could fined better info just from the man pages.
I've not looked at the HDR samba stuff to give an informed suggestion for the actual file content.

Although not really relevant, the bit that I don't quite understand is why do obviously untrusted 'guests' need access via the network anyway?

Although not really relevant, the bit that I don't quite understand is why do obviously untrusted 'guests' need access via the network anyway?
replace guest with my 11 year old son and I think that then makes sense!

@dandnsmith, when you say main pages, what do you mean?

Thanks

Rodp

when you say main pages, what do you mean?
Not "main" pages, man pages - that's what the Linux/Unix world calls the help info (manual) when you type "man <whatever>" on the command line or as a search on the Interweb. The info available from a man command is much more extensive than "<whatever> -?" (equivalent to /h in DOS), the full SP in the form of text formatted for printing out whereas the latter is built into the command executable itself and is just a reminder.

I don't think the CF command line has man installed, being a minimal system. Try googling "man samba".

Last edited:
ah! I've learnt something about linux today then! Will read up and reply with my findings (to be sure I don't mess up access control!) 🤪

Back