Samsung Allshare Software - File transfer no encryption!

No, I meant it's pretty amateur software that doesn't warn you if it can't install properly and doesn't know how to exit gracefully when it fails. I've come across a lot of software that needs to run with administrative privileges, but none that needs them to install.

That's curious - doesn't one normally need admin privileges for things to go fiddling in the registry and system directories? I presumed the installation problems were because some of the operations were blocked.

UAC looks after privileges at installation. You shouldn't need to run the installer as an administrator.

UAC looks after privileges at installation. You shouldn't need to run the installer as an administrator.

Depends what the software is doing. Software i use which is licensed needs to installed with admin privedges, and the first run after a fresh install needs to be done as adminstrator. After that it doesn't need admin privedges to run.

It needs to be done this way to set up the license DLL and other subsidiary bits to work properly.

Another reason to install with admin privlidges is to allow all users on a multi-logon machine to access the software.

Back