Schedule - RED

Trev

The Dumb One
This workaround for the Guide delay is good for a quick record session, but what disadvantages does it have? It must have some or why don't Humax just use that? When is the cached guide updated?

The guide is competely refreshed as part of the overnight check for updates at 3am. It is continually trickle updated whenever it the PVR is turned (fully?) on - not sure if it updates whilst in semi-standby making a recording, I would think it does on the basis I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.

Then I wonder why the Guide button forces a complete download and screws up what you are watching? You would have thought that they would have used the other tuner providing that the user was not recording.
I assume that the 'feature' of it not killing the picture if you are recording something is achieved by displaying the cached EPG instead of forcing a download. That was a sort of rhetorical question.

This workaround for the Guide delay is good for a quick record session, but what disadvantages does it have? It must have some or why don't Humax just use that? When is the cached guide updated?

Since 2008 the only time I have used the guide button in anger:) is after a factory reset. This deletes the cached epg so guide rebuilds it in 40 seconds or so. I have a Harmony remote with the Schedule and Red buttons side by side so I always set recordings this way and have never had any problems attributable to this practice. I guess it's possible if you are setting recordings right at the end of the epg you might get problems but the epg will ger refreshed overnight the following evening anyway.

Most owners will have used the cached epg without realising it on many ocassions by simply pressing guide whilst the box is recording.

As already said the epg is constantly updated anyway. Try a factory reset followed by schedule red. You can see the epg populating from the current tuned channel

Thanks for the answers guys. Schedule and Red buttons side by side would be good, but I ain't payin'£120 odd for the pleasure of that:disagree:
I have enough problems with using the supplied RC on my Sony TV. I always press the wrong button when 'connected' to the 'other' device, much to the annoyance of my wife :mad:

Thanks for the answers guys. Schedule and Red buttons side by side would be good, but I ain't payin'£120 odd for the pleasure of that:disagree:
I have enough problems with using the supplied RC on my Sony TV. I always press the wrong button when 'connected' to the 'other' device, much to the annoyance of my wife :mad:

Harmony remotes start from around £17.00.

Back