[screensaver] alternatives to the default screensaver

Not starlings, more like butterflies, sweeet! :D A screensaver would not be wasted on me cos I frequently have to spend a lot of time on pause. Waiting now to see what you come up with, Ezra or 4291 or whoever - if nothing, that's OK by me :)

O.K. I can explain, the original uses the numbers 0 to 9, so all that can be done is replace them with ANY 10 other pictures of digits, raptors, whatever. The only movement of the 6 digits around the screen, is done by the Humax completely automatically and randomly, e.g. we can't control it. The 10 pictures have to be single images (not movies) although they can be changed very slightly at the end of each second, because there can have 4 alternatives to each digit, which is used in the original to produce the 'Flip' effect. However I would say the main picture is displayed somewhere between 1 hour and 900mS leaving 100mS for the other 4 versions. So if you have 10 pictures I can make them into something similar that will resemble the Avatar Screensaver

10 decent pictures of "my own" ospreys won't be easy because the webcams are poor quality. If I come up with them I will PM you, Ezra.

In the meantime - if I try out one of the existing screensavers and then remove it, will it automatically revert to the Humax one?

Thank you!

@Clem. My link to Boids was for your friend, whom you said couldn't find it 'out there'.

10 decent pictures of "my own" ospreys won't be easy because the webcams are poor quality. If I come up with them I will PM you, Ezra.
In the meantime - if I try out one of the existing screensavers and then remove it, will it automatically revert to the Humax one?
Thank you!

Yes, if you just load the mains screensaver package you the get the original 'Humax one' displayed, if you then load a screensaver plugin, the new plugin will become current but you can also choose and previously loaded ones or the original. When you remove the main package it does as you say, reverting back to the Humax one again

@Clem. My link to Boids was for your friend, whom you said couldn't find it 'out there'.

Thank you, 4291, I did send it to him immediately, even phoned him to tell him it was sent. BTW, it was very satisfying to be able to do that because he's so sarcastic about my lack of Google skills (I didn't claim to have found it myself, I forwarded the forum alert email).

Ezra - thanks for info.

Hi,

I just bought one of these machines and am very happy with it, especially with the custom firmware on it! I was just wondering if there was a place I could submit packages to make them available for everyone? I've just made a quick screensaver based on the orange dotmatrix display on the Humax. Let me know if you want me to upload this anywhere.

BTW I'm an ex-Toppy user. Holes in the EPG due to a max limit of 13,000 entries caused me frustration so I went off and bought a HDR Fox T2. So far so good. Loving how well you can customize it.

Thanks,

David.

I would say there are many items that could be added to the Package list that would have limited appeal to others, I stopped adding extra screensavers when they started getting similar to ones already in the list and too numerous. I think the way forward would be for dma to upload a picture of his new screensaver to the forum and see how many users would like it to be added to the package list. I can assist dma with package submission, but I would point out that the repository is controlled by af123 and ultimately, it is not my decision

Do you guys think it would be possible to display custom content onscreen by changing built in images e.g. the screensaver? For example you could use a lightweight image library within a periodically updating background process to write arbitrary graphics into the screensaver images / some other logo file.

Hmm i Need 10 posts before I can upload an image. I'll get cracking! BTW what process is responsible for the screensaver? Is it the /usr/bin/humaxtv process?

Attachments

• dotmatrix.png
    dotmatrix.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 16
Do you guys think it would be possible to display custom content onscreen by changing built in images e.g. the screensaver? For example you could use a lightweight image library within a periodically updating background process to write arbitrary graphics into the screensaver images / some other logo file.

The problem is that the images that replace the original ones are only read in a boot up, if you select a different screensaver it won't be displayed until a reboot has happened
Sorry af123, I've didn't see you reply

what process is responsible for the screensaver? Is it the /usr/bin/humaxtv process?

Yes and no, humaxtv takes the images and randomly moves them around the screen, but the main screensaver program is here:- /mod/bin/screensaver, this program sets up symbolic links so that humaxtv is re-directed away from the read-only area that holds the original images to a read/write directory here :- /mod/img Note :- if the /mod/img directory contents are changed the new links will only be used after a reboot
Code:
[part of the /mod/img directory]
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM0_A0.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM0_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM0_A1_80.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM0_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM0_A2_60.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM0_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM0_A3_40.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM0_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM0_A4_20.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM0_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM1_A0.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM1_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM1_A1_80.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM1_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM1_A2_60.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM1_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM1_A3_40.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM1_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM1_A4_20.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM1_Maze.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    44 Jan 29 12:57 821_1_03_NUM2_A0.png -> /mod/screensaver/Maze/821_1_03_NUM2_Maze.png

I finally got around to packaging up another screensaver Plug-in called Maze, It's made up of 10 patterns so not the easiest option for telling the time, just a bit of fun. The new plug-in is now available from the Web-If Package Management screen after clicking on the 'Update Package list from the Internet' icon

Maze2.jpg

There is a file called pkg.meta (http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/pkg.meta) which lists non-advanced packages along with more verbose descriptions. The file is updated when you do a package list update. If the package isn't in that file then it doesn't show in non-advanced view.
@anyone
The screeensaver for 'black', 'random', 'maze' and 'all' dont appear to be set up as non-advanced. Is this intentional for all 4 of them?

Back