[screensaver] alternatives to the default screensaver

O.K. now I get it, the opk only contains dependants (no files) but the opb version does contain the dependant files. There may still be a problem, I am getting this error:-

Code:
/mod/bin/tar
humax# /mod/bin/tar -xf screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb
This does not look like a tar archive
Skipping to next header
A lone zero block at 571
Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

humax# md5sum screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb
b2ced6b9406f942f02a5ecf309f7ab79  screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb

Try now - there was a small problem with the bundle creator, it didn't expect a space after each comma on the dependencies line but the screensaver-all package has spaces there (not sure if it should according to the Debian package spec but it seems to work ok)

Edit: Whitespace in a package dependency line is fine, it was just the bundle creator that was getting confused.

Looks ok here - same checksum?

Code:
server# (324) digest -a sha1 screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb
1f0940d6846084bb9f177b7f759de83db0d499a6
server# (325) tar tvf screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0      648 Oct 14 21:17 2012 screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0     3318 Oct 14 02:00 2012 screensaver_0.3.2_mipsel.opk
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0   284874 Feb 23 00:30 2012 busybox_1.19.3-3_mipsel.opk
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0   860792 Oct  8 22:48 2012 webif_0.9.14_mipsel.opk
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0   3375040 Sep 19 20:44 2012 webif-channelicons_1.0.3_mipsel.opk
-rw-r--r-- 1002/0    29514 Feb 23 00:30 2012 mongoose_3.0-7_mipsel.opk

As screensaver depends on webif, you end up with lots of other packages in the bundle too (which shouldn't matter because you either need them or will already have them installed)

There are still a couple of problems, I need to find out why my download is different e.g.
Code:
humax# sha1sum screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb
b6fd05eac5c236dc256bbd76b31a93c83f120d16  screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opb

But also your untarred bundle does not seem to contain the screensaver plugins, only screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opk which contains a list of dependants but no actual files

But also your untarred bundle does not seem to contain the screensaver plugins, only screensaver-all_1.0.0_mipsel.opk which contains a list of dependants but no actual files
It does, but I didn't want to bore everyone with the full list of files in the bundle, hence the ellipses at the end : )

As screensaver depends on webif, you end up with lots of other packages in the bundle too (which shouldn't matter because you either need them or will already have them installed)
In order to reduce the size of the bundle, I could remove webif from the list of dependencies. It is not essential for operation or configuration of the screensaver.

I'm loving the randomised screensaver. I often pause live or playback, or tune to radio, so the screensaver is not an uncommon sight and the variety is very welcome.

In use: neon, neon-blue, glass-blue, avatar. I'm not sure whether Humax Default is included in the random set, it has not come up yet.

Update: it does!

My favourite is neon-blue. Sad, I know, but I too have been known to pause live TV just to see the screensaver!

hey folks,
rather than customising it, i'd like to skip back to switching off the screensaver please:
I do not do any of these things, so that would explain why I have not seen the screen saver. I thought that it might come on whilst listening to internet radio via the TV Portal, due to the static image on the screen, but seemingly not.

Your deduction is also right, Brian, as this is exactly when I see the screensaver: it arrives when i listen to the radio via my TV (e.g. UK Freeview channels 700 onwards). This is a problem for me cos the BBC radio channels i listen tend to display track & artist info, which i find really useful. If the DJ forgets to mention who's playing, i can just read it from the screen, & if it's a groovy tune, i can then hit the web & find out more. for me, track & artist display is the single best improvement of digital radio from analog (there are others, but this is my absolute fave by miles).

But the clock screensaver does not switch off when the track data updates, so the only way to see it is to press any button on the remote every time the track changes, which is tedious.

i don't want to see the screensaver when i listen to the radio. it is unasked for & unwanted, no matter how beautiful we can make it.

so is there any way i can switch off the screensaver please? ideally, any method would involve the controls & options i can access via the remote control, cos i don't have the skillz to do the coding stuff shown in the snippets in the rest of this thread :confused:

thanks folks :)

so is there any way i can switch off the screensaver please?
Not in the way you want, sorry. You can choose the Black screensaver but you'll just get a blank screen instead of the clock and still not be able to read the clock.

With the new ir package, it would be possible to write something that kept pretending to press a remote control key every minute which would stop the screensaver kicking in. It might not even have to be a real key - I'll have a play.

Not in the way you want, sorry.
one for the wish list then. does anyone from the company pick ideas up from here? or do i need to submit that elsewhere?

With the new ir package, it would be possible to write something that kept pretending to press a remote control key every minute which would stop the screensaver kicking in. It might not even have to be a real key - I'll have a play.

i don't know what the ir package is, but thanks very much for checking it out - a workaround would be fab :cool:
thanks so much for taking the time (bwhahaha - see what i did there?! i'll get my coat...)

one for the wish list then. does anyone from the company pick ideas up from here? or do i need to submit that elsewhere?

We have no evidence that anyone from Humax visits here. It would be worth posting on http://myhumax.org/forum/ as some people there have close links with Humax and can at least pass suggestions on. I think it's unlikely that it will be addressed by Humax though.

af123 - righto. thanks for the link :)

Ezra - which makes this resource even more precious. thanks all for prompt & helpful replies.

Am sure all the screensavers must be demo'd somewhere, I hope there are kittens or flowers or birds but am bracing myself for disappointment ;)

I could generate a kittens / flowers / birds version for you, but as I think it may have a limited appeal I would probably do it as a one-off

Might be popular with the kids though... How about ten characters from childrens' TV? Don't ask me to test it though!

I was on the phone to a friend when I saw the email alert re your post, so I told him about it... one thing led to another and we got onto flocks of starlings - you know, that fantastic display they make whilst getting ready to roost. Well, he said that Richard Dawkins said that the same effect could be generated by a computer program and that one does exist, it's called "boids" and it's "out there" somewhere - but my friend has already looked for it on his own behalf and can't find it.

I haven't the faintest idea what can be achieved within the Humax framework. Sticking with birds, I'd like eagle or osprey - I suppose the eagle would be the easier to make recognisable if it has to be stylised, sorta thing. I'm assuming you won't be able to portray feathers or distinctive markings, and I don't know if they'll be able to fly :confused:

Anyway, whatever transpires I'm tickled that you've even offered, Ezra :)

Back