Screensaver for Radio background distracting flashing

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
This weekend on both 1.02.20 and 1.03.12 when the radio screensaver is displayed that the data background repeatedly flashes in part. The interval between flashes does vary but is a lot more frequent than when the data display changes. How bad it is does appear to vary between BBC channels and programmes with the programmes that do have more data display changes the worse so far.

It is very distracting and irritating to see out of the corner of my eye. The work round is to pause the radio channel for a few seconds to remove the data element being displayed.

I presume that what is happening is a partial overlay of the (BBC) screen data on top of the screensaver picture set. The flashing is far more frequent than the frequency of data changes so what drives it isn't obvious.
Are there any other threads on this? I can't find any.

Are there any other threads on this? I can't find any.
First I've heard of this.

Like Trev, I use the picture-off Eco mode on the TV with DVB radio services, or the powered speakers I use with my projector.

Mine has done this for a while. Most evident on channels like BBC Radio 1 which updates the background text about every 15 seconds. My TV doesn't have a 'screen off' mode to allow audio only. For all I know the original Humax stock firmware also did it, I can't remember, will check with my neighbour who hasn't put CF on, in a couple of weeks when back off holiday.

Not really a solution, but can you not switch of the screen on the TV?
Maybe not if they are using the TV speakers to play the radio. Myself, I have secondary and tertiary audio connections so I can listen with the TV turned off either through the AV amp, hi-fi amp and / or wireless headphones.

Maybe not if they are using the TV speakers to play the radio.
It depends whether the TV has a "screen off" mode, like my Samsungs (Menu > System > Eco Solution > Energy Saving > Picture Off) or my LG (Menu > Picture > Energy Saving > Screen Off). None of them are particularly new sets.

It's a jolly 'long route; to switch off the screen though. I would have thought they would have made it more 'snappy'.

I know, but I expect a Harmony macro might do it. I use it at night; I need something to keep my tinnitus company, but Radio 4 / World Service tends to have stuff I would rather not hear if I wake up in the middle of the night and News 24 is safer.

I've just installed the "advanced" package "radio-ss-off" - it's purpose is to disable the screensaver when listening to radio. Doesn't fix the original post as written, however for me it's an effective solution, as I'm happy to see the radio text anyway. I have used the same Samsung 'Eco menu' workaround as Black Hole, but it is several button presses... 1st world problem...

This weekend on both 1.02.20 and 1.03.12 when the radio screensaver is displayed that the data background repeatedly flashes in part. The interval between flashes does vary but is a lot more frequent than when the data display changes. How bad it is does appear to vary between BBC channels and programmes with the programmes that do have more data display changes the worse so far.
Could be totally unconnected. But BBC Radio on my 2000T seems to interfere with the screensaver (clock moving around the screen). It has been doing this for as long as I can remember. Quite often there is a flash of something in the background. Not sure that it coincides with changes to the text (eg. change in the "Now Playing"). Not seen this with non-BBC radio.

... the "advanced" package "radio-ss-off" ... Doesn't fix the original post as written ...
The BBC radio channels with MHEG-5 data display have their own screen blanker ("Press GREEN to hide screen"). As these are the main (only?) channels that have frequent (eg "now playing") display updates, OP's problem should be solved, though obvs in the CF section rather than here.
Could be totally unconnected. But BBC Radio on my 2000T seems to interfere with the screensaver (clock moving around the screen). ...
As I previously wrote apropos this issue, it's
... almost as if Humax programmers had no idea that there could be dynamic MHEG-5 displays with radio, likely because it seems to be a UK/EIR/AUS/NZ/SA/HK thing...
and no doubt that applied to the 2000T as well.

Back