Seagate Pipeline 2Tb ST2000VM003

Colonel Panic

I'm just in the process of RMA-ing a second ST2000VM003 in three years (and as it is manufacturer warranty this time, as opposed to Amazon, it's not a bundle of laughs).

Many people seem very happy with this model, so is it just me, or are there a few more out there who have found the drives unreliable?

No. I have had a couple for a couple of years or more and they have been fine.
Have yours been overheating?

Fine here too. I also have a pair, one approaching 4yrs the other a little under 3yrs - around 30k hours between them. Only minor blemish is a few reallocated sectors needed a year ago on the older drive, but the hummy had once allowed it to get too hot.

The cause of the overheating remains bit of a mystery. When it happened the fan package had been installed and working for many months but something had contrived to disable it. Disk diagnostics show a peak temp of 62deg (normal for my install is 44 +/-2). Happily the disk seems ok apart from 8 reallocated sectors.

When it happened the fan package had been installed and working for many months but something had contrived to disable it.
Crashes sometimes disable some of the packages which have bits installed in the flash storage. You can disable this automatic disabling by issuing the following at a command prompt:
Code:
humax# touch /mod/boot/no_plugin_autodisable

I had one replaced under warranty after about 6 months use but the replacement has been fine for a few years now.

I had one replaced under warranty after about 6 months use but the replacement has been fine for a few years now.

My first one lasted about 9 months, second about 20 months before it gave serious problems.

Can't recommend that anyone undergoes the Seagate RMA process. A couple of days running Seatools for DOS (because they don't accept evidence from other tools), and when they agree to an RMA, it looks like you have to spend a tenner on packaging to comply with the rules. If I hadn't found the box for a 60Gb Barracuda (20 yrs old?) lurking in my shed, I might have given up.

I'm currently spending a lot of time watching fixdisk fix the original hard drive in my Fox-T2 so it looks as though a replacement is on the cards. Is the ST2000VM003 the one to go for? Or is there a better alternative?

A quick look around and Scan are saying the ST2000VM003 is 'end of life'. Is that so? Is the Seagate Skyhawk ST2000VX008 an alternative?

Last edited:
Hi,
I have just been around this loop on another thread. Does anyone know if the Skyhawk is a working alternative as its 18 months since the above post that did not get any answers?
If there are other alternatives then please advise as I am in need of a new HDD soon!?
Thanks

Yep, I did see it but I don't need a 2TB as I do not keep many recordings.
FWIW in reply to earlier comments, I noticed that in a review on the "Skyhawk" the HD had been used successfully.
The pipeline model is no longer made, so I assume others will have to use a newer model or others in the future, to comment by saying use it or you are not supported at this time is not very helpful.
As I said in the other thread, I have been forced into using my old Digitalstream WD HD for now because my HD is unlikely to last much longer!
Regards

As I (unsuccessfully) pointed out previously: be aware of the confusion "HD" could cause if taken out of context - some people use HD to refer to the non-recorder version of the 'Fox (Humax HD-FOX T2) or FOXSAT (Humax FOXSAT-HD), and it stands for "high definition". Using HDD in your context removes the ambiguity.

No, you were not unsuccessful in pointing in pointing out the differences between HD and HDD.
The thread is titled "Seagate Pipeline...." so I would assume 99% of readers would accept the abbreviation.

What is more important is that these drives are obsolescent and about to become obsolete. A preferred replacement should be discussed and recommendations made, as I pointed out unsuccessfully.

FWIW I have temporarily replaced my faulty Seagate HD with a Western Digital HD from my Digitalstream. After formatting and tranfering recordings and all is working well ATM.

I will be looking into a new drive probably a Skyhawk as the pipeline 1TB is getting rare and technology has improved since the pipeline was first manufactured.

OK, but you do not mention the main point of my post which is technical obsolescence of the HARD DISK!?

I was informed that support will only be offered if you have a Seagate Pipeline disk installed, is that correct if so I will not trouble you and find information elsewhre?
Thanks

What is more important is that these drives are obsolescent and about to become obsolete.
But they do have the significant advantage that they are known to work well in the HDR-FOX T2 (which is significantly more obsolete).
I will be looking into a new drive probably a Skyhawk as the pipeline 1TB is getting rare and technology has improved since the pipeline was first manufactured.
As I understand it, Skyhawks are primarily intended as surveillance drives which is a somewhat different workload than a PVR. You might also consider the Western Digital AV drives that some members of the forum favour.

Hi,
Yep, the one taken form the DS that I am using atm was the original Western Digital AV drive (with a green label).
As pvr's are going out of favour, it seems drive manufacturers are not developing specific drives for their use.
Regards

As I understand it, Skyhawks are primarily intended as surveillance drives which is a somewhat different workload than a PVR.
In my ignorance of these things, I would have thought that the workload was similar. What is the 'somewhat' about 'somewhat different' Martin?

Back