Season's Greetings

I can see that some can't see that red-shifting means moving in the direction from the blue to the red end of the visible spectrum which is applicable anywhere on the spectrum. What I can't see is why some can't see. I thought everyone had the ability to abstract from the physical? Or is that just pure mathematicians?

I can see that some can't see that red-shifting means moving in the direction from the blue to the red end of the visible spectrum which is applicable anywhere on the spectrum. What I can't see is why some can't see. I thought everyone had the ability to abstract from the physical? Or is that just pure mathematicians?
I think we know that. This is the 'Arms after all! :)

I think we know that. This is the 'Arms after all! :)

Wind-up gomezz Arms?

"Low-shift" would be better, otherwise "down-shift." But "red shift" is a historical anomaly that needs to go. We don't talk about red-shifted sound waves!

I'm getting the feeling that this thread is taking place in 'The Cloud', as it obviously over my head! :eek: I used to believe I was fairly bright but I'm beginning to re-evaluate.:disagree:

I'm getting the feeling that this thread is taking place in 'The Cloud', as it obviously over my head! :eek:
Cool! A monitor on the ceiling above your bed.:D
I used to believe I was fairly bright but I'm beginning to re-evaluate.:disagree:
But on a serious note you must be at least a bit bright to be able to self re-evaluate if you are bright or not.:)

you can blue-shift an infinite wavelength as much as you like and still end up with an infinite wavelength
The same would be true if you tried to red shift it. But if it were a frequency with infinite wavelength, it would not be a frequency but would be D.C. and I don't think that you could either blue or red shift D.C.

Just to be pedantic (what else?): you can blue-shift an infinite wavelength as much as you like and still end up with an infinite wavelength.

There is no such thing as an infinite wavelength, just to be pedantic.

Yes there is. A plot of it is a straight line. Or are you telling us that you don't believe in infinity?

Yes there is. A plot of it is a straight line. Or are you telling us that you don't believe in infinity?

I believe in infinity but not infinite wavelength or frequency.

So, at what height is your straight line?

What a silly question. :disagree: Everyone knows that lines do not have height, only length and in this case it's infinitely long. If you are talking about its position on the X axis of an X/Y graph, then it's indeterminate.:frantic:

Everyone knows that lines do not have height

But with your definition, they have a height of zero. (Better called width.)

Have you never heard of thick and thin lines?:disagree: Or spectral lines? Or lines of people? Power lines?

only length

Some lines do not have length. There have to be conditions for length to be defined.

Back