Second hand Humax HDR-Fox T2

Rick88

I’m thinking of getting a T2 to replace my 2000T so I can run a CF. So far I have scoured hummy.tv and haven’t found the answer: should I look for the original or the later RE version?
Thank you in advance.

I don't think it matters so far as we are concerned. The RE version can't be run with early firmware, but that's not an issue.
Many thanks for the reply. Are silicon tuners (as in the RE version) more stable in the long term? They seem to be in most things these days.

Last edited:
Silicon tuners? Are they not silicon tuners in the original version?? I guess the alternative is germanium.
From what I have read in various places on this forum “What I refer to as V1 has two separate tuner modules, as yours has, so the RF/aerial sockets are arranged horizontally. The V2 has a single twin-tuner module with the RF connectors arranged vertically.”
The disassembly photos show 2 cans for a V1
I have a 2000T which has Broadcom tuners on a chip.
Really as you can tell I don’t know... Just trying to find a good T2

Found this at: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-gb-re.3887/page-4

FW 1.03.xx - Works with both the old "CAN" tuners and the new hardware "Silicon" or "Chip" tuners.
FW 1.02.xx - Only understands "CAN" tuners hence No channels on new /RE hardware

Do not downdate the new /RE hardware - The CF will only work on /RE once the 1.03.xx FW is available and modified.

Downdate to 1.02.xx on old HW arriving with 1.03.xx should be OK (logically)
- I am continuing testing of downdated old HW which arrived with 1.03.xx.
Pete
ps. I am assuming the new HW has Silicon tuners as the CAN tuners ceased production over a year ago and all manufacturers will have had to change to Silicon based tuners for ongoing production as their stocks of CAN tuners have run out.

From what I have read in various places on this forum “What I refer to as V1 has two separate tuner modules, as yours has, so the RF/aerial sockets are arranged horizontally. The V2 has a single twin-tuner module with the RF connectors arranged vertically.”
The disassembly photos show 2 cans for a V1
Really as you can tell I don’t know... Just trying to find a good T2
:dunno: Still don't understand your reference to silicon.

The difference between the original and the RE version is that (I guess, not being in "on the ground floor") they couldn't get the original tuner any more, or there was a significant cost saving by re-engineering to use a twin-tuner module. The new tuner version required a firmware change to accommodate it (so it won't work on pre-1.03.06 firmware), and we can reasonably assume 1.03.06+ firmware detects which tuner module is fitted and issues the correct commands for that tuner.

So far as I know, there has never been any reference to "silicon" specifically. So far as I know, there is no reason to choose one over the other (it has been mooted that the RE version's fan blows inwards rather than outwards).

You might be talking about SDR (Software Defined Radio). This is the use of advanced digital signal processing to extract signal from a broadband RF spectrum. I don't think we've ever considered whether the HDR-FOX tuner can(s) use SDR principles, but personally I doubt it being as the desired frequency band and modulation for DVB-T is well defined and it will be a lot more cost- and power-effective to build hardware for that specific purpose rather than bung some heavy computing power at it.

Then you posted again...

has Silicon tuners as the CAN tuners ceased production
Okay, so you should have capitalised the s in Silicon - I take that as a manufacturer rather than a material (ditto CAN). I stil don't know of any reason to choose one over the other, it will just be a question of what you can get.

Reference? Unless Broadcom have branched out, I suspect you mean decoders rather than tuners.

Last edited:
OK. Probably out of my depth! Thanks for the help
I think the only thing to worry about with tuners is "Do they both work?"
It's not uncommon for water to run down coax and into the tuners, eventually leading to corrosion and failure if the presence of the water hasn't already degraded the signal to unusable levels.

Another common problem seems to be power supplies.
And then there are HDD issues but those are relatively easy to fix.

I would say what the OP should be looking for is a box that has been used relatively sparingly (if you can believe what people advertising boxes say).

Back