Seeing impaired or visually impaired?

gomezz

The latter seems to be the common term but semantically to me that would more appropriately used to apply to someone with, say a facial disfigurement such as a huge wart or a duelling scar. Is this a discussion that has already been had amongst the people affected by this issue and if so is there "official" guidance on this from the likes of the RNIB?

(I don't want to suffer the fate of that football official who got sacked this week for using out of date and deprecated terminology when talking about racial discrimination issues in sport)

Last edited:
Is this a discussion that has already been had amongst the people affected by this issue and if so is there "official" guidance on this from the likes of the RNIB?
Why ask us?

"Seeing impaired" sounds like another dumbed-down term to me. I don't agree that "visually" is incorrect in the cases you cite - vision is impaired, regardless of whether by a defect in the eye or by an obstruction outside the eye.

(I don't want to suffer the fate of that football official who got sacked this week for using out of date and deprecated terminology when talking about racial discrimination issues in sport)
If you mean the one I'm thinking of, it wasn't just a case of deprecated terminology (good expression - I'll pinch that!) - he was plainly out of order!

Back