Seem to have lost bbc4 hd

Robti

Hi I haven’t had the box on for a few weeks and tonight noticed no bbc4 hd yet it shows on my tv tuner connected to the same aerial, have I missed something, all I have done to solve it is reboot the box and have a read

Oh. You didn't notice all the recent chat on here that the muxes were moving? Retune time.

The "chat" (and where this thread should be) is in the Freeview section of the forum.

I've got the same problem as the OP. I tried auto rescan and all I get is "BBC 4 HD Has Moved. Please Retune" on ch798 (and similar messages for some other HD channels). I gather BBC4 HD and a few other channels temporarily moved on 22 June, but then moved back to where they were originally on the 25th. I can't work out how to manually rescan to find this channel. The only channels that I can see listed under Manual Search are 21-69. Not sure what frequency, bandwidth etc I need?

BBC FOUR HD (Freeview channel 106) was on Mux COM8 (UHF Channel 56), Freeview channel 106 has now moved to Mux7 (UHF Channel 55), so you need to tune to UHF 55 on 746MHz

I've got the same problem as the OP. I tried auto rescan and all I get is "BBC 4 HD Has Moved. Please Retune" on ch798 (and similar messages for some other HD channels). I gather BBC4 HD and a few other channels temporarily moved on 22 June, but then moved back to where they were originally on the 25th. I can't work out how to manually rescan to find this channel. The only channels that I can see listed under Manual Search are 21-69. Not sure what frequency, bandwidth etc I need?

Off the top of my head, aren't these channels for std def? If so you need to tune DVB T2 for Hi Def. Here on Caldbeck transmitter we lost Quest HD and BBC4 HD last year.

I can't work out how to manually rescan to find this channel. The only channels that I can see listed under Manual Search are 21-69. Not sure what frequency, bandwidth etc I need?
You need to understand the difference between LCNs and UHF channel numbers. 21-69 are UHF channels, and multiple services are carried on each channel. LCNs (Logical Channel Number) are just labels.

This link: https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/freeview-channel-listings.34/ tells you what services are assigned to each multiplex (mux), and this link: https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/freeview-coverage-checker.41/ tells you what UHF channel each mux is transmitted on in your area (put in your postcode).

If you want to retune a specific mux manually, you need to select its UHF channel number and whether it is DVB-T or DVB-T2 (DVB-T2 muxes are specified as "HD" in the coverage checker).

I gather BBC4 HD and a few other channels temporarily moved on 22 June, but then moved back to where they were originally on the 25th.
No, they didn't. They moved to a different UHF channel (with the same LCN), but temporarily were also transmitted on the original UHF channel with a temporary LCN in case some viewers are unable to receive the new UHF channel with their aerial. If an auto-retune only finds the temporary LCN, that's an alert to get in an aerial man because you're about to lose service.

Instead of just trying to retune one mux, why not simply run a full auto-retune? If you are worried about losing your recording schedule, the custom firmware takes care of that with daily and manual backups. Just restore it after the retune, or let auto-schedule-restore take care of it. And, if you had tunefix-update installed, you wouldn't need to retune anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

BBC FOUR HD (Freeview channel 106) was on Mux COM8 (UHF Channel 56), Freeview channel 106 has now moved to Mux7 (UHF Channel 55), so you need to tune to UHF 55 on 746MHz

I tried this and I just get "no channels found".

I've just returned my TV using the same aerial and it found BBC4 straight away.

We've been here before:

After trying various diagnostics and new aerials, it was solved by buying a new box. Hopefully I won't need to do that this time?

I tried this and I just get "no channels found".
Maybe your COM7 isn't on UHF Ch55, or you didn't select "DVB-T2". Did you check the info I pointed you to in post 8?

I've just returned my TV using the same aerial and it found BBC4 straight away.
Just confirm you definitely mean BBC FOUR HD, not BBC FOUR (standard definition) on LCN 9.

Press "List" (or "OK") while in normal live TV watching mode and you will get a list of services down the left of the screen, if you are watching BBC FOUR HD at the time that one will be highlighted (but you can scroll through to find it). With BBC FOUR HD highlighted, press the "i" (info) button, and the pop-up will tell you what UHF channel it is on.

Press "Exit" to exit the on-screen displays, however many times you need to.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I tried all combinations of transmission and bandwidth, but just tried again with DVB-T2, and it's found it!

I have an interesting issue, with the June re-tune. When I do a re-tune, it finds COM7 on CH55 (Rowridge Tx) and finds BBC FOUR HD. The Humax reports 50% signal strength and 100% quality and I can view BBC FOUR HD. However, every time I power cycle / reboot the Humax all the COM7 channel disappear? So can no longer select BBC FOUR HD for example.

Any ideas??

Do you have tunefix installed?
Yes I do and the versions are
tunefix
Info 1.9.5 Automatic channel organisation and maintenance.
tunefix-update
Info 1.0.100 Automatic Freeview channel updates.

I have done the re-tuning with and without trying to re-number the channels and every time BBC FOUR HD dispersal after a reboot.

However, every time I power cycle / reboot the Humax all the COM7 channel disappear? So can no longer select BBC FOUR HD for example.
Have you tried a complete power cycle? Turn off in the usual way, then when the blue ring turns orange and the HDD spins down, turn off the mains for a few minutes before turning back on?
I've had some occasional reception issues that could be solved in that way, so it might be worth at least trying it.

Back