Series links disappear

PJH

I use series link a lot. But twice now my HDR has lost all the links I've set up - nothing there when I check the schedule.

I keep my box turned on at all times.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I use series link a lot. But twice now my HDR has lost all the links I've set up - nothing there when I check the schedule.

Assuming you are running a recent firmware version the box will have automatically retuned which unfortunately deletes the schedule of recordings.

Why do you keep the box on all the time?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Yes, you have probably suffered the opt-out automatic retune (while you were not looking so you could opt out). Retunes delete your recording schedule. See HERE (click) and HERE (click).

Thanks for the quick/helpful replies.

I have set a 4:20 reminder - it seemed the easiest solution.

Why do I keep it on all the time? I was just being cautious when I started using the Humax. If it's on, it'll record. Since then, I've stuck with it - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Any negatives with putting it on standby?
Other than power consumption, any positives?

Less wear on the hard drive.

The 0420 reminder does not defend you against retunes (DSO events), it defends you against OTA searches (automatic firmware updates).

Thanks.

Three (different) questions arising from reading the various posts.

1. Series link: If I see a program in the EPG that is due to start in 2 hours time, I hit record in the EPG and I'm offered the option to record the series. Great, nice and easy. However, if the program has already started and I hit record in the EPG, I am not offered the option to record the series. Any way around this?

2. What is AR?

3. What are the benefits of installing the custom Firmware? (I used to have a Topfield which had lots of custom macros you could install. But the standard Humax Firmware offers most things I use as standard).

1) Not directly, your only option is to find the next program in the series (a week later) and select 'Record Whole Series' from there

2) Accurate Recording (See NOTES) is a system where the Humax turns on 15 Mins before the EPG start time and looks for a start signal from the Broadcaster, If it doesn't get the start signal it doesn't record (Very Rare), but it does mean that actual start and stop times should be accurate and it prevents programs overlapping

3) There are many ad-ons, there is a concise guide HERE

I have an hdr foxt2 500 which I am generally really pleased with, but I do have one annoying problem with series recording. I find that if I set it to record a series it works fine for two or three recordings and then without warning it doesn't record an episode. Does anyone know what might be causing this ? Is it likely to be a bug in the hummy or can I change some setting to stop this happening. Thank you.

You need to check you are not falling foul of any of the wrinkles. See the notes for Accurate Recording in post #9 and/or section 3 in "Things Every...".

If none of that cures it, try a factory reset.

Hi Blackhole- thank you for your reply. We use the t2 everyday so I guess that means it's not that the EPG is not getting a regular update. I read the piece about retuning will wipe out schedules but I haven't manually retuned since installation. Does it sometimes automatically retune itself which could explain the problem? If so can I switch this off?
If it's neither of the above do you think I should try the factory reset? How do I do that one? I can't see why it would help switching from padding to AR or vice versa but that's not an informed opinion.
Sorry I don't know much about these gizmos!
Thanks

But what about the rest? Did you follow the link to HERE and then review "More Failed Recordings"? Make certain your are not tuned to additional transmitters (check for services at 800+). Do you use Auto-Padding or Accurate Recording? Are the schedules disappearing from the recording list (Guide >> yellow) or just missing a recording sometimes?

It may be coincidental but problems I had with AR magically resolved after my box did a spontaneous factory reset (a fault with firmware 1.02.27). It's on the menus, probably under Installation but I can't check at the moment.

Less wear on the hard drive.

This is always a contentious point, the counter claim that leaving the drive running at all times reduces wear is just as strongly defended. I don't know if there is a definitive answer, and maybe it's different for current drives. What I can say is that my TiVo had been running non stop ( bar a couple of power cuts ) for over 11 years and was still going strong when I decommissioned it.

Remember that the live buffer is constantly writing to the disk, so it's not just that the motor is spinning. Even if the motor was the only thing running, it will put hours on the bearings.

Nigel

I've used AR ever since I bought my HDR and HD 6 months ago and had no problems except where:

the Broadcaster has failed to update the EPG;
the broadcaster has changed the series ID;
auto retunes (hence a lost schedule) have been forced to take place when I wasn't there.

My units have been manually tuned to Emley Moor (otherwise I could receive from Sheffield and Chesterfield local transmitters), I use Standby mode and I allow the units to check for software upgrades every day. I use the main channels plus Quest, Pick TV and Yesterday.

Martin

But what about the rest? Did you follow the link to HERE and then review "More Failed Recordings"? Make certain your are not tuned to additional transmitters (check for services at 800+). Do you use Auto-Padding or Accurate Recording? Are the schedules disappearing from the recording list (Guide >> yellow) or just missing a recording sometimes?

It may be coincidental but problems I had with AR magically resolved after my box did a spontaneous factory reset (a fault with firmware 1.02.27). It's on the menus, probably under Installation but I can't check at the moment.
Ok it seems that I am tuned to both a Welsh transmitter and an English one(mendip) even though at the end of an automatic retune I selected the English one- I guess the box doesn't sort them too well as I had a number of duplicate channels- mainly in the 800+ range. So I followed the instructions for a manual retune in the link you gave me ( which were very good by the way) and that has got rid of all the duplicates (except strangely ITV4 appeared twice, one at 815, which I manually deleted). I am set on AR and have rescheduled the channels to record.
So I guess I'll now see if this works. Only question remaining is what is to stop the box suddenly automatically retuning when I'm making a cup of tea as described in the link and then I'm back to square one!

I shall have to update the information. Selecting a region as your primary after an auto-scan retune does not remove the multiple region problem, it only parks the secondary transmitter in the 800's! Any services which are not present on the primary region will turn up in the lower numbers - the Welsh version of Channel 4 on LCN 8 for example.

To avoid problems with scheduled recordings, particularly with AR but also padding, we have deduced it is necessary not to have secondary services tuned at all.

Remember that the live buffer is constantly writing to the disk, so it's not just that the motor is spinning. Even if the motor was the only thing running, it will put hours on the bearings.

Yep - the TiVo also constantly buffered live TV, even if you were simultaneously watching a recorded program. So 11+ years constant writing to disk. Pretty impressive, but also with hindsight a terrible waste of electricity.

I shall have to update the information. Selecting a region as your primary after an auto-scan retune does not remove the multiple region problem, it only parks the secondary transmitter in the 800's! Any services which are not present on the primary region will turn up in the lower numbers - the Welsh version of Channel 4 on LCN 8 for example.

To avoid problems with scheduled recordings, particularly with AR but also padding, we have deduced it is necessary not to have secondary services tuned at all.

OK to continue the saga I got it in the neck tonight from the family because the 'dear' Box has done what I suspected it would- ie automatically retune itself even though I didn't want it to. So to recap the story- Box Tuned into both Wales and Mendip- Multiple scheduling problems_ Good advice from Hummytv folk- Manual Retune_ All was good until Box decides to automatically retune and obliterate all recording schedules!!!

Basic question for you smart guys - please can someone tell me how to turn off automatic re anything- particularly retuning- unless I give the 'dear' Box the go ahead.
Thank you .

Back