[seriesfiler] Series Auto-filer

Seriesfiler 0.2.1a is now in the repository and should fix that bug.
Hi Sam, any chance of doing an update that takes account of the folder structure created by the undelete package? It should just be a couple of lines of code to read the name of the dustbin then grep it out of the candidate target directories.

While we're at it, how about greping out any directory starting with "[" - this would exclude the "[shares] directory if people want to mount network folders in "My videos" and any future "special" folders.

I've been trying to find a package that removes empty folders from \videos. I' sure there was one??

It would be good for [series filer] to also move any system files created when you play a file. As when you play a file and then series filer moves it, it then leaves the empty folder, as I guess a system file has been created.
Never a big problem, over all the CF is greeeeat. :)

I can foresee that leading to problems. There are time when one wants to create an empty folder ready to receive a recording.

I've been trying to find a package that removes empty folders from \videos. I' sure there was one??
There is was - see the tidy-folders thread.

There were the usual disparaging comments from various people about it, but just ignore them and use what works for you.
FWIW, I've never found the need to create a folder in readiness for something and I have found the need to remove the numerous empty folders which otherwise get left around... which is why I wrote it in the first place.

Someone else will have to have the last word though. Someone did. Me. I deleted it all.

Senior moment - I had forgotten about that.

Users of flatten wanting not to flatten a particular series recording pre-create the relevant folder and mark it no-flatten. It is a relevant warning for flatteners who might also think of auto-deleting empty folders, regardless of your creed.

There is - see the tidy-folders thread.

Any chance we could get tidy-folders added to the list of packages?
Or for me even better would be to release a 2nd version of series filer that moved all files.

Thanks though I thought I had seen it before. Guess it 'cause I need to telnet to install is why I left it first time.

Unless I'm wrong, the reason I end up with empty folders is because [series filer] does not move all system files. As after I've played a file and then [series filer] moves it, it then leaves an empty folder; if unwatched it deletes the folder.
I'm guessing it because a file is created when you play it. I might be wrong though. Oh, that'll mean that [tidy folders] will be the same.....:confused:

I'm planning to write a new version of series filer that uses the same framework as the other new tools. Mainly so that it runs at a convenient time in relation to other processes such as decryption. The problem you're experiencing is probably that it is being moved while you're watching it and a stray .hmt file is being left behind. The new version won't do that.

af123: "I'm planning to write a new version of series filer that uses the same framework as the other new tools. Mainly so that it runs at a convenient time in relation to other processes such as decryption."

Sometimes seriesfiler works before auto-decrypt/shrink and sometimes after. Presumably because seriesfiler works every 15 minutes and auto-processing every 10 minutes and/or the DLNA index has to have worked.

(If the file hasn't been indexed before moving, then does being moved by seriesfiler extend the time until DLNA indexing occurs, thus delaying auto-processing a little?)

Anyway, I'd like my seriesfiler to work more frequently, so I had a hunt in the File Editor.

I found /mod/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

If I take the line:

0,15,30,45 * * * * /mod/sbin/seriesfiler > /mod/tmp/seriesfiler.log 2>&1

and change it to:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /mod/sbin/seriesfiler > /mod/tmp/seriesfiler.log 2>&1

or even: (because recordings with padding often finish 'on the 5' at 5, or 15 or 25 minutes past the hour ... )

8,18,28,38,48,58 * * * * /mod/sbin/seriesfiler > /mod/tmp/seriesfiler.log 2>&1

would that work? Or is there a better way to do it?
Would this conflict with anything else?
Any problems with running seriesfiler 6 times an hour instead of 4 times?

All thoughts gratefully received :)

My recommendation is to uninstall seriesfiler and replace it with sweeper. Seriesfiler is deprecated and no longer in the repository. Sweeper can be configured to do the same thing and is properly integrated into the web interface automatic processing so it will play nicely with any decryption or shrink settings you have. It also runs every 10 minutes by default.

The sweeper rule you need to emulate seriesfiler is:

Code:
folder action {fileunder ""}

which you put in the sweeper configuration file. A quick edit link to that file appears in the web interface Diagnostics screen.

Thank you af123. Very interesting. I didn't realise seriesfiler had become 'old hat' :)

I have sweeper installed already but thus far have only used it for sweeping up single programme files into a folder.
So now I'll try fileunder in sweeper.
Cheers!

WiKi notes for the Sweeper package are HERE
BTW
Is the web interface for Sweeper likely to happen?, I do realise it wouldn't be a 5 Minute job to write :)

Many thanks af123 and Ezra.

Have studied the sweeper Wiki ... (not totally sure when to use " " as some examples have " and some do not)
However have added the following to my sweeper config file:

genre {Film} action {movecreate "03_FILMS"}
action {movecreate "02_SINGLE PROGS"}
folder action {fileunder ""}

and .... initial tests seem successful :D
Cheers!

The "quotes" are usually included where there are spaces in the path e.g. "the folder is here", they usually wouldn't be needed if the text was the_folder_is_here, but adding the quotes won't do any harm

The "quotes" are usually included where there are spaces in the path e.g. "the folder is here", they usually wouldn't be needed if the text was the_folder_is_here, but adding the quotes won't do any harm
Aha! OK, I get it ...

Then my first line didn't need any "
genre {Film} action {movecreate 03_FILMS}

but my second line did need some "
action {movecreate "02_SINGLE PROGS"}

Useful to know.
Thank you for explaining.

One thing occurred to me just now ... seriesfiler worked regardless of the space left on the disk, but auto-processing stops working when disk space is low, presumably this will mean sweeper's 'fileunder' stops working too?

I imagine the suspension is only processes which require disk space - eg decryption. Relocation only modifies the file system pointers, no actual data movement.

I imagine the suspension is only processes which require disk space - eg decryption. Relocation only modifies the file system pointers, no actual data movement.

BH, your logic is impeccable. :) You would indeed think that as filing requires no new disk space, then a filing process would work regardless of disk space. Unfortunately this situation is counter-intuitive ... :(

I just set up and ran a few tests - on a 1TB Humax HDR with only 10GB free space, my sweeper rules don't activate. The films, single files and folders sit unmoved in the root level. Auto-log says 'Insufficient disk space'. Re-activating seriesfiler makes the folders disappear with the contents moved to matching sub-folders, however the films and other single files remain. Once there is 40GB free disk space, auto-processing resumes and sweeper activates successfully.

I realise the moral of the story is never to leave so little free disk space, for this and many other reasons. (I've noticed over the last year, with the aid of the reallocated sector alert, that reallocated sectors occur far more frequently when the disk space is very low)
However sometimes in a busy house disk space can run low from time to time, and seriesfiler will still work its 'magic', so although sweeper is far cleverer and more versatile and integrated with the auto processes, it seems that 'sweeper fileunder' is not a straight like for like swap for seriesfiler. :)

Back