[seriesfiler] [undelete] Conflict

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
There is a discussion in the WebIF topic (starting HERE -click) which started when the poster naively installed seriesfiler and undelete together (Moderators: it would be worth extracting those posts from polluting the WebIF topic and moving them in here - I will then patch up this post).

It seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye. seriesfiler (as far as I understand it) should look for a lower level folder that matches a first-level folder under My Video (ie one created for a series recording) and then move the contents across. The OP did not delete a folder, only episodes within a folder, but undelete creates a folder within [Deleted Items] matching the source of the deletion - and therein lies the problem (although it's not the only one).

Should undelete do this, or would it be better if it put the deleted recording into [Deleted Items] flat unless a whole folder gets deleted?

Should undelete do this, or would it be better if it put the deleted recording into [Deleted Items] flat unless a whole folder gets deleted?

I obviously think that preserving the folder structure is the right thing to do. Perhaps the directory names within the dustbin should be prefixed with something though.

(Sam Widges has emailed me to say he will update seriesfiler soon. I will stress again that this is an unforeseen interaction between two packages written by different people, it just happens to be easier to update seriesfiler to correct it)

I agree on keeping the directory structure under Deleted items frankly, the general idea is an excellent one in case of accidental finger press, or that of family member "cleaning up". Now that the clash is known I suppose the seriesfiler just needs to read the config. for the "undelete" utility to know it ignores any folders under there?

Thankyou for pointing out my naivity in inadvertently using two packages which on the face of it should have nothing to do with each other and ended up deleting several dozen of my wife's recordings when series filer kicked in after deleting an entry. Nowhere does anything actually say HOW either work but I do feel I should download and read the scripts myself now before trying a new gadget.

And as to polluting the thread by all means delete my entries from there, though perhaps at 66 pages is perhaps time to summarise any important bits and to start a new one anyway I suppose? I was picking up a regularly used one to get some help quickly in case I could do anything to recover them.

Greatest admiration for the people making the custom firmware and packages but I can't see how anyone could have seen this coming without knowing the script logic!

Steve

Greatest admiration for the people making the custom firmware and packages but I can't see how anyone could have seen this coming without knowing the script logic!

I think calling your action of installing undelete at the same time as seriesfiler as 'naive' is somewhat harsh, no-one (not even the most knowledgeable among us) knew the consequences of running these two packages together. There will always be some risk in running the Custom Firmware just as there is in running the Official Firmware and unfortunately you found out the hard way this time, It is however quite a rare occurence and errors are corrected quickly, which is more than can be said for the Humax firmware

Completely agreed.... I think (hope) we all understand the risks in any upgrades / amendments -- working in IT for 20 years, running a software business while at school, and writing several systems for risk assessors I have to.

We all like fiddling with gadgets though :)

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word - either that or I do. It was not intended as a reproach. Would you prefer "innocent"?

As for "pollute", it's the way we express that there is a significant deviation from the topic worth hiving off elsewhere, again usually innocent in its intent. You will I am sure acknowledge that this subject has little or nothing to do with the WebIF.

Even if you had downloaded and read the scripts, I think there's a good chance you still wouldn't have spotted the problem!

I've just had a similar minor calamity with seriesfiler :( When running in HDRmode on the HD, I set up a mountpoint called [root] in the videos folder, which mapped onto the /media/drive1. This was simply so I could easily get to the folders above videos, as I'm used to doing on the HD (HDR keeps you in the videos directory).

I realised that this creates a circular mapping (eg /media/drive1/Videos/file == /media/drive1/Videos/[root]/drive1/Videos/file), and half realised that seriesFiler might get confused, but didn't think that moving a file to itself in [root]... caused it to disappear! I've confirmed that is what happens with a test file eg
Code:
mv /media/drive1/Videos/test /media/drive1/Videos/[root]/drive1/Videos/test
And bang, "test" has gone - matter meets anti-matter or something like that...

Luckily- was never going to get round to watching most of that stuff anyway, and my hard disk is now half empty ;)

As well as getting seriesfiler to ignore folders starting with "[", I think we should get it to check if a files exists before moving it.

If Sam isn't able to update in in the near future, I'd be quite happy to fix and maintain it.

(Sam Widges has emailed me to say he will update seriesfiler soon. )

I'm still looking forward to this.
I was wondering if there would be an easy way to set the max number of episodes to keep in a folder, preferring the new.

I realised that this creates a circular mapping (eg /media/drive1/Videos/file == /media/drive1/Videos/[root]/drive1/Videos/file), and half realised that seriesFiler might get confused, but didn't think that moving a file to itself in [root]... caused it to disappear! I've confirmed that is what happens with a test file eg

It surprised me too but it does actually make sense. Linux sees that you're moving a file from one filesystem to another so it has to implement that as a copy then delete, i.e. it copies the file over then deletes the old one, which is actually also the new one.

If Sam isn't able to update in in the near future, I'd be quite happy to fix and maintain it.

I think you should just go for it. Fix the known issues and get it updated in the repository before it catches more people out then we can talk to Sam about the future of the package.

Had a quick stab a fixing it - hopefully should be ok now, so af123 if you could remove the conflict warning what would be fab. Obviously use with care to start with as I've not had a chance to do a great deal of testing.

It should now ignore any directories starting with "[", and also checks before moving the file that destination file doesn't already exist.

af123, Thanks for the update of WebIF.
Could you remove the conflict warning that is still preventing me using undelete and seriesfiler together.
Many thanks.

In the meantime, I think you only get the warning installing one package then the other (undelete then seriesfiler I think, but may be the other way round) So uninstall the one you have and try installing them the other way round!

I use undelete and would like to use seriesfiler.
The above seems to suggest that the conflict has been resolved?
However, the wiki still carries the warning under series filer.

Am I missing something? Nothing seems to be happening when I install series filer, despite several restarts and waiting overnight.
When does it move files?
Could there be a problem because my destination is more than one level deep?

Back