Should I buy another T2 to replace my T2?

Tim.C

Well I've had years of excellent use out of my T2 and have no issues. However, for various reasons, I have to replace it.

So guys, the question is;

Should I get another (presumably second hand) T2?
If so how much do they sensibly go for, and where is best to get them? (ie to not get ripped off - a quick look on eBay and some are going for more than I paid new!!!!!)

Or, has Humax come out with something as good or better in the years following the T2??

Or maybe there's some other better option, like using a PC instead?

What do you guys think? Clean slate, so all option considered.

Thanks

Tim.C

Sorry, just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. Should be the T2 Recorder not Receiver !! Oops.

HDR T2

Thanks Trev......that's what I thought, but wanted to check. Time to spend hours on ebay then !!!!!

Oh and Ditto for the next comment about moving the thread ;)

If so how much do they sensibly go for, and where is best to get them? (ie to not get ripped off - a quick look on eBay and some are going for more than I paid new!!!!!)
Is the functionality of the Custom Firmware important to your usage? If it is then another HDR-FOX T2 is the only option. If you don't use the custom firmware then consider the HDR-2000T which has a faster processor (no slow EPG), a few minor software improvements (but also some omissions compared to the HDR-FOX T2) but most importantly can be purchased new with 24 months warranty.

** Thanks for moving the thread to the right place **

I don't currently use the CF, though I expect would if I got a new one.

Main uses are;

Streaming FROM T2 to PC/phone to watch recorded programs - this may change to streaming TO T2 to watch PC stuff on TV.
Either way streaming is vital.

Getting clips of recorded stuff off TV on to PC/Phone is very useful - don't want to lose this facility, as I use it a lot

I imagine that the CF is full of other useful stuff that once used become invaluable, but I haven't seen them yet ;)

What's missing on the newer models - apart from the ability to flash to a CF??

Should I consider FreeSAT as well as Freeview??

Getting clips of recorded stuff off TV on to PC/Phone is very useful - don't want to lose this facility, as I use it a lot
...in which case why are you not using the custom firmware? It makes this job a whole lot easier.

...why are you not using the custom firmware? It makes this job a whole lot easier.

This comes under the "for various reasons" in the original post, and when I buy myself a new box, I'll be able to do what I like with it ;)

Just because it is safe, better, and a jolly good idea, doesn't mean that any change to the current "but it works fine now" will be approved by the management!! ;)

Yeah, but that's your own fault innit. When SWMBO asked you to get that clip off it, you should have said you could, but would need to install the CF.

Streaming FROM T2 to PC/phone to watch recorded programs - this may change to streaming TO T2 to watch PC stuff on TV.
Either way streaming is vital.
I assume you are streaming SD material and this should work fine either way with an HDR-2000T.
I assume you are getting material off by copying to a USB device and that will work fine on HDR-2000T with the added benefit that NTFS file systems are supported out of the box.

Should I consider FreeSAT as well as Freeview??
If streaming is vital then probably no. I don't think any of the Humax FreeSat models have streaming out of the box and only the old FOXSAT HDR can have custom firmware installed to provide a DLNA streaming server (no client capability).

Just had a thought.......

How difficult would it be to move 500GB of recordings from an unmodified T2 to a 2000T?

Just thinking I could do everything the other way round - buy the wife a 2000T, and pinch the T2 for me ;)
But she'd need the huge stash of recordings on there - between 300-400GB of chick flicks !!!!!!!

How difficult would it be to move 500GB of recordings from an unmodified T2 to a 2000T?
Not difficult but just takes a surprisingly long time as the copy to USB also involves decryption. Somebody with a better memory than me will know the approximate rate.
Just thinking I could do everything the other way round - buy the wife a 2000T, and pinch the T2 for me ;)
Sounds like a plan; strangely enough that is exactly what I did.

Not difficult but just takes a surprisingly long time as the copy to USB also involves decryption. Somebody with a better memory than me will know the approximate rate.
About 7MB/s, so 1GB is about 2.5 mins. 400GB is going to be 1000 mins. or about 17 hours.

Just because it is safe, better, and a jolly good idea, doesn't mean that any change to the current "but it works fine now" will be approved by the management!! ;)
Don't seek approval then. Do it while she's out :)

But bear in mind that anything recorded in HD will still be encrypted (as you say you don't use the CF) and unplayable on any other device unless you install the CF and use it to clear the 'Enc' flag before copying.

But bear in mind that anything recorded in HD will still be encrypted (as you say you don't use the CF) and unplayable on any other device unless you install the CF and use it to clear the 'Enc' flag before copying.
If you want to transfer high def. stuff to the new box without custom firmware, you could download Raydon's Foxy program. If you use FTP to copy the HMT files, run Foxy on them and then copy back to the HDR-FOX, overwriting the originals this will remove the protection flags and allow them to be treated like standard def. recordings. Once done, any recordings you copy to a USB drive using the remote control handset will be decrypted and thus playable on the HDR-2000T.

About 7MB/s, so 1GB is about 2.5 mins. 400GB is going to be 1000 mins. or about 17 hours.

And I guess that is twice - once off to external HDD and once to put on new device!!

I use FOXY ;)

What do the T2's go for normally on eBay? Seen a few at reasonable prices but I expect they will shoot up in the last few minutes like most things do on eBay!!

Back