Should I stick with Humax?

geoffd

I am a long time 9200T user and am thinking of upgrading to an HDR-FOX T2. However yesterday my 9200T hung when simply changing channels, had to be switched off and back on and subsequently started producing the familiar duplicate recording entries. A corrupt disk yet again!! It reminded me that, although most of the time I still like my hummy, it can be incredibly frustrating.

Having been a software developer for many years I know that a file system needs to be designed properly to ensure that it is resilient and that the 9200T design must have fundamental flaws. Can any of you guys reassure me that the HDR-FOX T2 is more robust or should I look elsewhere?

i had a lot of HD problems with my 9200 as well, but the user interface was one of the best i've used.

no major HD problems so far on the HDR, if you liked the interface then go for HDR, some of the usability from the 9200 have gone, but may come back with updates, in other ways its better, remote really good (once you've used it for a while), codecs not the best, but may improve. you'll have to transcode till it does. im not going to far into this as there are other posts on the subject, but if you dont stop anything your watching from the HD, the file may lock.

over all, i love the new box

I have also been a long time user of the 9200T, although mine has just been disconnected and put into storage yesterday. If you have been happy with your 9200T, you will be more than happy with the HDR-FOX T2 as it is so much better in every way.

I am not very keen on the remote control though, much preferring that of the 9200T which is smaller, and the buttons are less spread out making them easier to reach (even with the sliding cover). I find the HDR remote needs two hands to operate easily, one to hold it, the other to work the buttons.

Having been a software developer for many years I know that a file system needs to be designed properly to ensure that it is resilient and that the 9200T design must have fundamental flaws. Can any of you guys reassure me that the HDR-FOX T2 is more robust or should I look elsewhere?
The HDR FOX-T2 uses the Linux EXT3 file system which is well established,not likely to corrupt (because it has journalling) and there are tools available to sort out file system errors. In my view the HDR FOX-T2 is a useful improvement on the 9200 in almost all respects.

I am not very keen on the remote control though, much preferring that of the 9200T which is smaller, and the buttons are less spread out making them easier to reach (even with the sliding cover). I find the HDR remote needs two hands to operate easily, one to hold it, the other to work the buttons.
Clearly these things are subjective. The difference in size is only about 5mm in length; width is almost identical. The HDR remote only weighs 134 gram compared to 166 gram for the 9200 remote. Personally I have no problem operating the HDR remote with one hand.

The Digital Stream PVR seems to be getting good user feedback as an alternative to the Fox T2.

The only thing I miss about my 9200t is the ability to split and trim recorded files. It'd do it instantly and the FOX T2 doesn't do it at all as far as I can tell. I'm guessing this was possible due to the custom file system. The FOX T2 is better in every other way.

Back