Closed Poll Should there be a separate forum for users of the HD/HDR-FOX T2 Modified Firmware?

Should there be a separate forum for users of the HD/HDR-FOX T2 Modified Firmware?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
As the title says, I have posted this poll to gauge what interest there is in this subject. Please feel free to comment here, rather than in the site/forum issues thread.

After the poll has closed, we will see what the general opinion is, and if the majority want a new forum, I will let Michael know.

I wonder whether it should be split further into "mod-development" and "mod-users", as I think the technical discussions and code flying about may put off potential users.

I've also always found it a bit of an anomaly that as the owner of an HD, I spend most time in the HDR forum. Its basically ended up that the HDR forum is really "HDR and common to both" and the HD forum is "HD specific". The modified software is probably the biggest reason why there is so much crossover, so another reason to split it off.

Steve

I can't see any reason why it could not be split as you suggest, I must admit that I read all of the posts, and a lot of the technical discussions do go way above my head.:)

Actually, although I have voted "don't mind", I find it a pain in the arse checking the HD forum and the HDR forum and the Hummy Arms and the Site Issues forum - I know I could list everything that was new but that would also include things I have no interest in: FOXSAT, 9300...

More forums to span? No thanks! I would prefer to throw the HD and the HDR forums in together, but there would be a problem talking at cross-purposes. I quite like the idea of enforcing every topic title to be prefixed [ "HDR-FOX:" | "HD-FOX:" | "HD/HDR:" | "MSP:" ].

I wonder whether it should be split further into "mod-development" and "mod-users", as I think the technical discussions and code flying about may put off potential users.

But even though I don't get the actual code (luckily for me it's usually conveniently coloured in blue so I know which bits to skip;)) I have found it handy to be able to quickly search in just one thread for info on a particular mod when I've remembered reading about some fact or another. And sometimes in the course of resolving technical challenges the unconstrained view of the user can sometimes help contribute can't it? Plus if you're just reading through it'd mean you would have to read both threads and you'd lose the timeline wouldn't you? I don't know if these are reasons in the case for or against the motion - but I thought I'd mention it.

I favour a separate forum for modified firmware, but not any further subdivisions.

I have both a HD and HDR and I voted no to a separate forum as I have enough trouble finding time just to keep up with the HDR forum. I don't look at the HD forum at all these days. I wouldn't want a separate additional forum for modified software stuff. Prefixing the titles would be OK. I would actually like the HD forum part of this one, especially if the prefixing rules stick.

I'm also coming at this from the angle of not wanting too much stuff to scan through - I hope if we split it I would just have to look at the mod forum ;) I suspect the forums for "basic" HD /HDR would be pretty quiet, unless Humax ever release an update (seems unlikely).

At the beginning of time I suggested the HD and HDR forums were merged due to so much overlap. I think it should either be all in one place, or split in a way that caters for the overlap (a mod forum kind of does this for what I'm interested in at least).

Steve

The thing is, at least a few of us still need to patrol the less-exciting areas to pick up and answer newbie questions (don't they EVER read existing threads?) just to provide a welcoming face and not put them off by lack of response. It's easier to keep an eye out in the forums we use than in the forums we don't.

(don't they EVER read existing threads?)

But they'd be more likely to read existing threads in the "basic" forums, if they weren't lost in all the more complex mod stuff and in some ways it would be easier to spot them too, as they wouldn't get drowned out by the other stuff and quickly drop down the "recent activity" list.

I see there's a 'What's New' link at the top which brings all the recently updated threads from different forums together into one list. It even seems to put a 'break' in to show where your last visit to the forum would've been (i.e. unread posts that you didn't read below the break and new ones above). I use a similar thing on another forum site that I visit regularly and find it really useful. I didn't realise this site had one too!

I think it was 'Recent Activities'
Some members' posts do not appear on the list, among them af123!

Ah, but would you know if it missed something out? I have seen the Foxsat HDR flagged as having something unread yet New Posts not showing any thread from there.

Recent Activities is accessed by the small arrow pointing NE under the search box.
brian is another who's posts slip through the net.
I find it handy to watch the to and fro of posts as they happen but I miss some. (Something I used to do in my lurking days. :D)

Back