Shower or bath?

I still have a washing machine with an electromechanical programmer. Curse those modern electronic jobbies.

I remember that (or similar) from a few years ago. I think it had a little impeller/generator to power it. Not sure how long it would last in a hard water area though ...
Yes, I think it was powered from the water. I also remember one with tri-colour LEDs that went green when the water temperature was 'just right'.

I wonder why people don't pass the water through a small generator on the way to the bath.. probably doesn't generate enough power.

I think using the water supply to power something is against the T&Cs (I remember something about a paint roller cleaner being banned as it was powered by water, although garden sprinklers are permitted so I might be wrong, or just misremembering).

Edit: Didn't spot the next page of posts, Ezra's already mentioned the colour-changing idea.

I think that a sprinkler is not a breach of anything as it doesn't actually do anything apart from turning your grass green and wasting copious amounts of water that we have paid loads to the water companies to purify

Maybe, but I can run a quick wash cycle and then a high speed spin by clicking the wheel round (the quick wash would normally only do a light spin).

Hahaha

I didn't mean the just-get-them-wet cycle, I meant the not-boil-the-hell-out-of-them cycle.

Hahaha

I didn't mean the just-get-them-wet cycle, I meant the not-boil-the-hell-out-of-them cycle.

But it is still true that an older machine will not be as efficient as a newer one, if you choose carefully. The best newer ones are A+++ rated and use as little power and water as possible. Older ones didn't bother about power, were not insulated, and threw gallons of water at the wash.

It's even more true of tumble driers and dishwashers. Old tumble driers are power hogs and don't recycle any heat in a heat pump. Old dishwashers use gallons of water rather than the 7--9l a modern one uses.

Sorry, is somebody under the impression that washing machine efficiency is a particular concern of mine? What would be the pay-back time if I replaced it?

As it happens, it's a Hotpoint Aquarius, one of the better ones still to have an electromechanical (and therefore repairable) programmer.

But it is still true that an older machine will not be as efficient as a newer one, if you choose carefully. The best newer ones are A+++ rated and use as little power and water as possible. Older ones didn't bother about power, were not insulated, and threw gallons of water at the wash.

It's even more true of tumble driers and dishwashers. Old tumble driers are power hogs and don't recycle any heat in a heat pump. Old dishwashers use gallons of water rather than the 7--9l a modern one uses.
You leave us old dishwashers alone!

Back