'Sidecar' plug-in for the HDR/HD Fox T2

Why does the command line syntax help for sidecar, as displayed on the command line and in the wiki, indicate switches are optional – when actually it does nothing at all (except display help) when not given any switches?

The help ought to read:
Code:
Usage: sidecar [-options] <recording name minus .ts extension>

<none> : Display help
        -n : Create new .nts file
        -h : Create new or update existing .hmt file
        -x : Exclude Prog/PMT ID's from .hmt file
        -c : <Channel number for .hmt file>
        -t : <Channel name for .hmt file>
        -p : Display progress bar
        -i : Display infomation

Enclose recording or channel name in quotes if they contain spaces or special characters e.g. &.

I would say sidecar ought to run -nh as default, but there's nowt we can do about that. Neither can we change the command line help, but at least the wiki could be informative.

Update: I've extended the wiki entry for sidecar somewhat. Somebody please sanity-check it.

Last edited:
somewhat ?, the Wiki has always been a concise description of how to use a feature, it does not require a history or any other bloated chunks of text, if you need to write more 6000 word block busters I suggest the best place for them is your "Things Every . . ."

Are you saying something there is incorrect, or could be omitted and yet leave the reader fully informed how to use it? Is the information available elsewhere (without having to trawl for it)? I don't think so.

I asked for a sanity check, not a biased critique.

You originally added a single note :-
Code:
 If provided with no command options, Sidecar displays the help and exits
I have no objection to that edit, however you then added two more extensive edits where you deleted my text and replaced it with your own, replacing other users text with your own 'style' is not acceptable

Most of your text is still there, just in a different place. I really don't see the problem. The detail provided is useful to the uninitiated, as often it's rather terse, and is not over the top. The whole point of a Wiki is that anyone can contribute and refine it, but you seem to think it is your personal property. I might be able to understand this if you were the author of sidecar, but you're not.
Anyway, I've added my tweaks.

From what I see in the wiki entry for sidecar now, it looks like it's been reverted to how it was before. So that was a total waste of my time then. From the edit history, it looks like @prpr's edits have been revoked as well. What's more, it looks like I've been banned from editing.

Anybody still wonder why I don't bother with it?

The reason I edited the wiki at all was because the existing entry was/is not adequate when I actually tried to use sidecar, and there was some trial and error required. Neither does it flow logically, nor even explain why a user might need sidecar. But it seems a certain user thinks it's his own personal fiefdom (and in his haste, has broken a link to further resources).

So, for the benefit of newcomers to sidecar, I have painstakingly reconstructed the wiki entry as I left it (and was destroyed by an idiot), as best I can given the differences in formatting between wiki entries and forum posts, and improved it some more. Note the use of text formatting to identify context. The use of punctuation and abbreviations throughout the wiki are not according to my style, so those are also altered to my preference below (because it's not on the wiki any more!)... but why would anyone write
?!!

Sidecar

Recreates "sidecar" files .hmt and .nts for a .ts source file.

The sidecar files are normally created at the time the recording is made, and are essential for HDR-FOX/HD-FOX to provide the full range of transport control (including bookmarks), or access subtitles, surround sound, etc. Without sidecars, a .ts will play (with limited controls) provided it is not encrypted, but without subtitles etc. A recording might be stripped of its sidecars if the user was not aware of their importance and only transferred the .ts. Files imported from elsewhere (eg created by a video editor or converted from a download) do not have the relevant sidecar files in the first place.

Other media formats (eg .mp4) will play, also with limited controls, but cannot have sidecars. Converting them to .ts (M2TS – see Note 3) permits the addition of sidecars, which regains extensive transport control and the use of subtitles, surround sound, etc (presuming these are present in the .ts).

The sidecar operation is available as an action on the OPT+ menu for recordings from the WebIF: WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> OPT+ >> Sidecar Files (see Note 1). A pop-up dialogue box provides user controls and options.

sidecar can also be run on the command line. Command line options are (see Note 2):

Code:
humax#sidecar

sidecar v2.8, a utility for the Humax HD/HDR Fox T2, by raydon (c) 2014-2018
Usage: sidecar [-options] <recording name minus .ts extension>

-n : Create new .nts file
        -h : Create new or update existing .hmt file
        -x : Exclude Prog/PMT ID's from .hmt file
        -c : <Channel number for .hmt file>
        -t : <Channel name for .hmt file>
        -p : Display progress bar
        -i : Display infomation

Enclose recording or channel name in quotes if they contain spaces or special characters e.g. &.
humax#

NOTES
  1. The "Sidecar Files" option is only available on the OPT+ menu or on the command line if the sidecar package has been installed. The package is not installed by default and can be installed by the user via WebIF >> Package Management >> Available. The menu option is greyed out if the file is an unsuitable candidate (eg is not a .ts, or has not been decrypted).

2. On the command line: if provided with no command options, sidecar displays the help and exits.

3. Source video not native to the HDR-FOX/HD-FOX, or which has been processed using some third-party application, may not be compatible. In particular: the file must be in M2TS format (192-byte packets, instead of 188-byte packets as is standard for TS), even though it has the .ts extension. Conversion can be achieved (on the command line) using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i <input_file>.<type> <output_file>.m2ts
    mv <output_file>.m2ts <output_file>.ts

4. There are versions of sidecar compiled for Linux and Windows platforms Here.

5. sidecar can recreate valid .hmt and .nts files for both video and radio recordings.

6. sidecar cannot process encrypted files (as per original recordings). If the .ts file has not been decrypted since it was recorded, but has lost its .hmt file, the OPT+ option is available and sidecar can create a dummy .hmt file which is sufficient to allow the file to be decrypted as follows:

• Use sidecar to create a dummy .hmt file;

• Decrypt the .ts via the OPT+ menu in the WebIF;

• Use sidecar again to create proper .hmt and .nts files, thus providing full transport control.

Alternatively, recordings missing the original .hmt file can be decrypted using the stripts utility.

Last edited:
From what I see in the wiki entry for sidecar now, it looks like it's been reverted to how it was before.
Well almost. He couldn't get that right either.
So that was a total waste of my time then. From the edit history, it looks like @prpr's edits have been revoked as well.
Yes, likewise. Pathetic isn't it? (You missed incorporating them in your above text as far as I can tell.)
What's more, it looks like I've been banned from editing.
He's made it admins only, but I'm an admin too, so I could revert his "unnecessary changes reverted" reversion.
I guess we'd then ping-pong until the end of time, so frankly I can't be bothered - I have more than enough of pointless little people and organisations with a can't do/won't do attitude elsewhere.

@Ezra Pound you really have an attitude problem. There was nothing contentious in this edit. You just want to pursue your own little personal vendetta for whatever reason, while making everything worse for anyone who may actually want to learn something from the content (as thin and hard to read as it often is).

You missed incorporating them in your above text as far as I can tell.
I took a look. Most of them I had already found and corrected (it's so easy to miss this kind of thing, and it would not surprise me if there are more). Thanks for the "header" > "packet" thing. I'm sure you realise the wiki refers to "Sidecar" whereas I refer to "sidecar".

"unnecessary changes reverted"
"Not invented here" more like.

Last edited:
prpr : you seem to think it is your personal property. I might be able to understand this if you were the author of sidecar, but you're not.

Over the years BH has stated on numerous occasions how many hours he has put into his posts on the forum, he is not the only one, I have put in many hundreds of hours over the past 11 years creating the Wiki, so yes I do feel a sense of ownership, does anyone on this forum think that is unreasonable ?, unlike BH's "Things . . ." where, as far as I can see users are not even allowed to place a comment let alone edit his text, the Wiki has always been open to change by other users, prpr has edited my text on the wiki, but has only ever corrected typos or made very small changes, that is how users should be treating other user's contributions, So prpr no I am not the author of sidecar but I am the author of 'Custom Firmware Package Notes' and the majority of the other pages on the Wiki, The Wiki has never been fully open for editing, not only did af123 have several protected pages but most if not all of David500's files and text were write protected, he obviously felt that having put in all that effort he didn't want his work 'fiddled' with, I feel the same about my work

Just been reading this thread with my FoxSat-HDR hat on and wondered if there is / was / could be a Linux CLI version that would work for the FoxSat? I know about AV2HDR and have tried it successfully this afternoon in a VM with the 'No Remux' option. Seems that all that's needed for the FoxSat to play .TS files from the T2 is a new .NTS file as it doesn't care about .HMT files if the recording is not on the main HDisk.

I would be inclined to extract raw .ts files from HDR-FOX and Foxsat-HDR and compare them in detail, using something like Media Info or ffprobe.

Just been reading this thread with my FoxSat-HDR hat on and wondered if there is / was / could be a Linux CLI version that would work for the FoxSat? I know about AV2HDR and have tried it successfully this afternoon in a VM with the 'No Remux' option. Seems that all that's needed for the FoxSat to play .TS files from the T2 is a new .NTS file as it doesn't care about .HMT files if the recording is not on the main HDisk.
an .nts file is not required to play .ts on an T2 so why should it be required on FoxSat?
AFAIK .nts is only used for skip forward/backward

an .nts file is not required to play .ts on an T2 so why should it be required on FoxSat?
AFAIK .nts is only used for skip forward/backward
I've no idea why, but that seems to be the case based on what I discovered from some reading up & testing yesterday. I don't want to go too far into FoxSat problems on the HDR-T2 part of the forum but posted in this thread as it's the sidecar creation that caught my eye.

I've no idea why, but that seems to be the case based on what I discovered from some reading up & testing yesterday. I don't want to go too far into FoxSat problems on the HDR-T2 part of the forum but posted in this thread as it's the sidecar creation that caught my eye.
Does it need to be a valid one for the recording or could you get away with copying one from another recording?

I'm sure the compatibility between HDR-FOX and Foxsat-HDR was examined on the forum yonks ago, it's just a case of finding it.

Back