Simple Newbie Enquiry

Javaman

Hi All,

would just like to say hello and ask a couple of "hopefully" simple questions. I have just bought an HDR Foxt2 1gb and moved on my Panasonic DVD/Hard disk recorder.
I bought it for a couple of reasons, not least of all to facilitate HD on my HD Ready TV. I have a simple setup - Windows Vista PC and Synology NAS, Humax & TV. Laptop and ipad et al are ancilliary to my enquiry
I was hoping to use the Humax to play video, music and display photos on the living room TV using files stored on both my pc and/or NAS - this seems to work fine.
At some point I would like to buy a smart TV for the bedroom and thought that I could probably stream video straight from the NAS or Humax, assuming of course that Smart TVs offer this option.
I seem to have hit a snag already in that I can't seem to fully access the humax from the Vista PC.
If I go into "Network" on the pc, there appears to be an icon for my PC and also what looks like a media player icon, also called "my pc". The same is true for the NAS diskstation but the humax only shows up as the single media player icon.
Clicking on the pc or diskstation icons, give access to all shared folders on my computer and NAS, whilst clicking on any of the "media player" icons merely opens Windows Media Player and gives access to all my video and music etc on the pc and NAS but not the Humax, which isn't even shown.
Similarly, Windows Explorer only lists my pc and NAS Diskstation under Network and the Humax is nowhere to be seen. So, my question is
1. Why isn't the humax showing up so that I can access and stream files from it?? I want to ensure that I can do this so that I know it should work with a Smart TV without having to buy a Fox HD for the bedroom.
I'm using plug adapters and the ring main as my router cable rather than a wireless dongle and so the humax is effectively hardwired.

This forum is great. . . I've been reading a little and often and think I might bite the bullet with custom software but would really like to get to grips with the basic concept before messing around too much.
Would really appreciate any advice . . many thanks

Do you have Content Share turned on?

Menu > Settings > System > Internet Setting > Content Share

Have you told the Humax that you want it to share its media (via DLNA)?

Connecting to Home Network
1. Connect the receiver to your home network by connecting to the router or the Wi-Fi access point.
2. Press the MENU button and go to Settings>System>Internet Setting.
3. Set the options for the LAN or Wi-Fi. (Refer to System>Internet Setting for details.)
4. Set Content Share to On to allow sharing of the media files.

Yes . . content share and ftp server are both set to on.
Another option that I was hoping to explore was the ability to transfer files from the Humax onto the NAS in order to Backup. I think the encryption function of the Humax might prevent these files from then being played on another machine but I'm thinking that the custom software sorts out this problem . . .anyway - that will be something for later. For the time being, I'm puzzled as to how to stream from the Humax onto my pc.
You will probably gather that I'm not too well versed with this stuff but I'm looking at it as a challenge!! :)

After turning on the Content Share (above) the Humax content can be seen by other equipment on the same network that is running DLNA client software, Windows Media player >> Library >> Media Sharing for example will 'see' the Humax. Without installing the Custom Firmware you can decrypt Standard Definition Files by copying them to a USB Drive and then FTPing directly from the USB (drive1) to your P.C.

Have you told the Humax that you want it to share its media (via DLNA)?

Connecting to Home Network
1. Connect the receiver to your home network by connecting to the router or the Wi-Fi access point.
2. Press the MENU button and go to Settings>System>Internet Setting.
3. Set the options for the LAN or Wi-Fi. (Refer to System>Internet Setting for details.)
4. Set Content Share to On to allow sharing of the media files.

Under "Configure LAN" - one of the options is "Configure IP" and this has the option of manual or auto . . I merely left it on auto as the humax is receiving data from PC and NAS, I assumed this would be O.K. Content share has been selected to On.
Thanks for such prompt replies . . . you guys must keep a watching vigil on this site!! :)

This forum is great. . . I've been reading a little and often and think I might bite the bullet with custom software but would really like to get to grips with the basic concept before messing around too much.

The Trail Guide (see links below) will point you in the right direction pre-custom firmware.

After turning on the Content Share (above) the Humax content can be seen by other equipment on the same network that is running DLNA client software, Windows Media player >> Library >> Media Sharing for example will 'see' the Humax. Without installing the Custom Firmware you can decrypt Standard Definition Files by copying them to a USB Drive and then FTPing directly from the USB (drive1) to your P.C.

Thanks again for such helpful advice. I wondered if it is something to do with my file sharing settings on Media Player but I have that configured to automatically recognise new computers and devices on the network. I just went in and checked again. Clearly the computer is "seeing" the humax or the media icon wouldn't be showing under Network places but there's no icon for the actual humax itself.
Daft question coming up . . . when you say "FTPing directly from the USB drive - do you mean removing the pen drive and stuffing it into the NAS USB port or transferring over the ethernet??

FTP is a file manager that operates across the network when you have a suitable device (the Humax is suitable), and would allow access to files on a USB stick that is plugged into the Humax. In your pre-customised state copying a recording to USB is one of your few ways to decrypt it.

See the Trail Guide for more details.

FTP is a protocol, most FTP client software on Windows presents itself as a file manager...

Posted on the move. Please excuse any brevity.

Hmm . . . still struggling with this. Maybe I'm expecting it do something it can't but I think I might have misled a little with my first post. If I click on Network in my PC - The humax is shown as HDR- Fox T2 Media Server but clicking on this merely opens windows media player which gives access to personal media held on my pc and then the diskstation is also listed and I can see all the media there but no mention of the Humax or videos held on it.
I've been going around in circles trying to work this out. I wouldn't mind betting I'm overlooking something really silly

If you look in windows media player, the Humax should be listed under "Other Libraries" as HDR-FOX T2 Media Server. If you click on this, then Videos, then All Videos, your Humax videos should show.

FTP is a protocol, most FTP client software on Windows presents itself as a file manager...

Posted on the move. Please excuse any brevity.
FTP provides a means to transfer files acrosss the network...

So my description of it as being a file manager that operates across the network ain't so bad then!! We have to think on the right level to be helpful and not confuse with too much detail. These posts are no meant for the experts.

Hmm . . . still struggling with this. Maybe I'm expecting it do something it can't but I think I might have misled a little with my first post. If I click on Network in my PC - The humax is shown as HDR- Fox T2 Media Server but clicking on this merely opens windows media player which gives access to personal media held on my pc and then the diskstation is also listed and I can see all the media there but no mention of the Humax or videos held on it.
I've been going around in circles trying to work this out. I wouldn't mind betting I'm overlooking something really silly

You will not be able to use the HDR as if it were any other network-attached storage unless you install the custom firmware and relevant packages. The native HDR (firmware as supplied or officially updated) only makes its content available to the network via the DLNA protocol, or by FTP. For definitions please see the Glossary (link below).

You will not be able to use the HDR as if it were any other network-attached storage unless you install the custom firmware and relevant packages. The native HDR (firmware as supplied or officially updated) only makes its content available to the network via the DLNA protocol, or by FTP. For definitions please see the Glossary (link below).

My brain's all burnt out for today . . . I seem to have made some progress. I think the problem is Vista with WMP 11. It just doesn't see the Humax even though it's listed as a media server in Network on the PC. On the other hand VLC player does see it and allows me to play the films stored on it. VLC player also seems a little hit and miss. When I launch it and click on Local Network and then Universal Plug n Play, the Diskstation appears (and I can play all the files contained therein) and so does the Humax - I can play these files too. My pc is also listed but the icon doesn't function . . . . clearly this doesn't matter. Oddly, I have to launch, close, launch and relaunch VLC to get it to work as sometimes only the diskstation shows, sometimes only the humax or my pc and sometimes all three!!!
At least I know the network is up and running O.K - it's just buggy, incompatible software it would seem. Not a very encouraging start but at least I can now see the Humax using VLC. All I need to do now is work out how to use FTP to transfer files off the Humax onto the pc, mainly for backup. I've started to read up but my head's about to explode and so enough's enough for one day.
Thanks to everyone for their help

There are some notes on FTP in the WiKi HERE you won't need Betaftpd for simple file transfer, the Humax built in one will be O.K.

Back