Skipping through adverts

Gary

On playback when I try and skip through the adverts I'm not having much success. The fastest way is to press the "chapter skip" button which is the 2 arrows and the line, so I keep pressing this until I'm passed the ad break, then I need to go back to the end of the break and use the same button but with the arrows the other way but that seems to skip back less, so I end up having to press that about 10 times to get to the end of the break.

Why do these 2 buttons skip different amounts?

Any tips on skipping the breaks on playback ? My old panasonic used to have a skip 30 seconds button which was pretty effective

From the User Guide:

MENU > Settings > Preferences >Recording

Setting Jump Time
You can set the jump time to replay or skip scenes
during playback or time shifted recording.
  • Instant Replay Time : 7 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec
  • Skip Forward Time : 30 sec, 60 sec, 120 sec, 240 sec

Great that might explain why they skipped different amounts of time. I've change it to foward 30 and back 15 and will see how that works.

Thanks

You might also like to try the cursor pad left and right arrows - they bring up a "nav bar" on screen and a time cursor which you can scroll either way - the minimum increment seems to be proportional to the overall length of the recording.

My skip buttons are 2 mins forward and 15 seconds back - the typical 4 minute advert break is thus two forward and a nudge back.

How have you been jumping to the beginning or end of a recording?
I don't have the need very often. I usually start at the start and watch to the end and use the resume feature if I'm interrupted and bookmarks to mark interesting points I want to show other people or extract. I suppose if I have needed to get to the end of a recording I have just used fast forward..

I didn't know either - I've been looking for a feature similar to that on the Toppy where, once in playback mode, if you typed in 35 the playback jumped to 35% of the way throuh the recording - useful for cutting out all the chat before a grand prix, or skipping through the all day recordings of touring car meets. SO now I do know, it's not the same but allows smilar large skips, excellent! (assuming that it's in the standard firmware of course!)

You might also like to try the cursor pad left and right arrows - they bring up a "nav bar" on screen and a time cursor which you can scroll either way

Yeah I pretty much use this to navigate all the time. Although I thought the jump was set as I always seem to be able to get through 3 or 4 minute ad breaks almost exactly to the right point by using 30 seconds per press. But on the downside that has also led to the discovery that the big silver button is only painted silver - the shiny paint has started to come off the right hand side!!

I didn't know either - I've been looking for a feature similar to that on the Toppy where, once in playback mode, if you typed in 35 the playback jumped to 35% of the way throuh the recording - useful for cutting out all the chat before a grand prix, or skipping through the all day recordings of touring car meets. SO now I do know, it's not the same but allows smilar large skips, excellent! (assuming that it's in the standard firmware of course!)

For some reason Humax left out direct time code entry in the Freeview-HD models, the Foxsat-hdr has it, for instance pressing 0024 jumps instantly to 24 minutes.

Yeah I pretty much use this to navigate all the time. Although I thought the jump was set as I always seem to be able to get through 3 or 4 minute ad breaks almost exactly to the right point by using 30 seconds per press.

As far as I can make out the "nudge" depends on how long the recording is in the first place. The time line extends across the screen however much time that represents, and the nudge either way seems to be a percentage of that.

Be great to have the Toppy % entry feature - I use that and the 30sec forward button quite often. Love the Hummy and what people such as AF have done for us, but miss the Toppy vertical EPG and features - it all seems effortless and quick on the Toppy and a bit of a chore on the Hummy.

I couldn't believe there's only one option for skip each way, I'm accustomed to 30-second and 2-minute skips each way on Vestels and Toppy, the latter having the advantage (with MyStuff) that you can choose the intervals. That may have been one of the reasons I sent back the 9200.

I didn't know about the cursor pad either - at least that's a decent size! (Have never RTFM :p ) Thanks for the info re "how it works".

On this subject. When I am in time shift mode and I use the skip forward button it goes to the end of the file, not as the Foxsat does IE skip forward 30,60,120 seconds etc. Reading the thread I see there is a "Nav Bar" available, which I have not been aware of, so maybe I can use that. Also with the Foxsat, I can enter a "time" and the recorded program will jump to that point, something I cannot do with the T2. Is there another way to do that? When I get home I'll try using the left right buttons and work the Nav Bar.

Pressing the left and right cursor pad buttons while in playback mode (or timeshift) brings up the time bar (or possibly only after you press the play or pause button), and you get a time display as well as a graphical representation of how far through the recording you are.

Holding the left/right zooms through the time bar, pulsing them steps you a nudge each time - the size of the nudge seems to depend on the overall length of the recording.

The skip forward / backward buttons seem less reliable in this mode - if you are fairly near the end of the recording (or the live point in timeshift it can jump to the end even though it shouldn't.

Back