Sky sports on Foxsat?

adam

Okay, so I hear Sky are taking over most/some of the live F1 races next year.

I generally use watch Freeview, but I have a Foxsat HDR box in my media room which currently gets hardly any use. I don't currently have a Sky subscription, so when it is used, it's on Freesat.

If I were to pay for a Sky subscription, could I use my Foxsat to watch/record Sky sports (by plugging the sky card into the foxsat), or would I have to use (yet another) STB?

Thanks.

In a word NO. In fact the Foxsat-hdr won't take any sort of card as you need a CAM (Conditional Access Module) installing into the CI slot (Conditional Interface) before you can slot in a card.

You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 through the Top Up TV service on the DTT platform if your Freeview box has a CAM slot:-

http://www.topuptv.com/skysports/

However, expect F1 to be shunted around the other Sky sports channels which are not available this way especially if it clashes with any footy.

I think one of the fta German channels on 19E carries the grand prix transmissions. A second dish on 19E connected by a diseqc switch with the audio in English from BBC radio may crack the problem. Not in HD though.

Or learn the dark art of avoiding the result and wait a few hours for the delayed re-run on the BBC.

A CAM (Conditional Access Module) to fit the Hummy is not that expensive, about £30. You can then put a legal Sky card into that. I am looking into changing/putting up another dish for other satellites for more services, including RTL on 19.2 where they do free coverage of F1. A CAM will also take subscription cards from other stations, so you could end up with a wide range of services for a bit of work.

A CAM (Conditional Access Module) to fit the Hummy is not that expensive, about £30. You can then put a legal Sky card into that. I am looking into changing/putting up another dish for other satellites for more services, including RTL on 19.2 where they do free coverage of F1. A CAM will also take subscription cards from other stations, so you could end up with a wide range of services for a bit of work.

You need a working sky box to keep a sky card alive, you have to put the card in overnight about every 3 weeks or so. afaik there are only a couple of CAM's that work with a sky card and they cost a lot more than £30.00

Here's one of them

http://www.pulsat.com/products/Diablo-CAM-2-{47}-Diablo-CAM-II.html

You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 through the Top Up TV service on the DTT platform if your Freeview box has a CAM slot
I have since learnt that a standard CAM slot will not be suitable for getting Sky Sports through TUTV. You need a CAM+ slot (presumably Sky do not think the standard slot is sufficiently secure). AFAIK the Humax Fox T2 is the only PVR with a suitable slot.

Back