Smart meters, less smart companies

Is that where house prices are negative?
If only. Up North just means you get a 4 bed detached for the cost of a in 1 bed flat in North London.🤣🤣

Our house has a foot of loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, double glazing, draft proofed doors, and still costs a packet to heat. Electricity is largely used on tumble drying but gas is solely heating. The only consolation is that a few years ago fuel was costing over £150 a month, but now is down to about £105. Last year it was £125pm with Avro.

I just left them after 2 years, and saved loadsa money.🥳

They all supply the mix that comes out of the pipe or wire. As far as I know, they are sellers not producers.
I am with them and currently saving loadsamoney. It's gnashing of teeth time when my contract expires.

I've been swapping suppliers every year or eighteen months and sometimes I've jumped ship within a few months. Despite their at times serious shortcomings I've stayed with Avro for three deals as they've been the cheapest option. The current deal (Simple & Superfixed) is 10% cheaper what's currently the cheapest and on top of than I got a £140 broader group Warm Home Discount credit last winter, and applied on day one for this season's.
My experience exactly

My experience exactly
I don't dispute they may be cheaper for you. It's the mix of standing charge and unit cost that determines which is an individual's cheapest supplier.

My mother died last year and I administered her estate. I noticed that her house was on a deal with a standing charge. I rang and changed her house to a standard tariff, because the standing charge was £30pm and fuel use £0pm.

I am not arguing that is a good move for everyone.

I don't dispute they may be cheaper for you. It's the mix of standing charge and unit cost that determines which is an individual's cheapest supplier.
I did a spreadsheet mainly to check comparison site figures which has to take into account any standing charge. Found site figures were within a few pence of mine.

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/energy-suppliers

But you can get it direct from the government if you qualify. The above just deduct it from your bill, that is all.
Something odd going on here - only the link displays as a post but if I reply the quote has your comment to it. Plus the Avro link from that page is dead - here's one that works:

Anyway, there's a Core group, who get it anyway, and a Broader Group who have to apply. I fall into the latter and last season got a £140 credit to my account on 24 February. This season I still qualify and by luck spotted applications were open on the first day.

Everything is nuclear, then, but what about Fast Breeder Reactors? They are sustainable, surely?

Everything is nuclear, then, but what about Fast Breeder Reactors? They are sustainable, surely?
Sustainable, yes. The objections to them are generally to do with the problems of waste disposal (or more realistically, storage) and the results of accidents rather than their carbon footprint.

What needs to be factored in is the enormous amount of CO₂︎ released when limestone is converted into cement, and then the cement is converted into concrete. Nuclear power stations use a huge amount of concrete in their construction, as do dams and dykes (for hydroelectric systems).

You should realise by now that tree huggers don't give a toss about the sort of CO₂︎ that is generated in making things. It doesn't deem to count. Just take the clamour for electric cars as an example,

What needs to be factored in is the enormous amount of CO₂︎ released when limestone is converted into cement, and then the cement is converted into concrete. Nuclear power stations use a huge amount of concrete in their construction, as do dams and dykes (for hydroelectric systems).
I've not googled any numbers but it feels to me that concrete and steel for one 2,000MW nuclear vs 400 x 5MW wind turbines might be quite similar.
(I've ignored the utilisation factor for wind which would probably up that to 500 or more.)

I like trees. Especially oak trees, with

ACORNS

Last edited by a moderator:
I once went to a talk about the advantages of having loads of small nuclear reactors. By small, I mean maybe 2m diameter, 5m tall.

Presumably that was a talk by the makers of small nuclear reactors, or the suppliers of uranium.

Back