Smart meters, less smart companies

I just received an e.mail from Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert) informing me that Green Network Energy has gone bust and Ofgem will be choosing me a new supplier :( .

I just received an e.mail from Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert) informing me that Green Network Energy has gone bust and Ofgem will be choosing me a new supplier :( .
Another one bites the dust ... :rolling:

Methinks maybe there should be a bit more regulation to reduce this steady procession of (imho) directors starting companies, making a fast buck and letting them sink.

I can't imagine what people thought would happen if the market was allowed to fracture into tiny fish all trying to get a bite at the same cherry (mixed metaphors abound!).

:( I just checked and it looks like the best deal I can get will be £71 a year more with Utility point whoever they are and even Eon and British gas are now £1 a month cheaper than Bulb and £3 cheaper than Octopus.

Strangely enough, I am just coming to the end of my deal with Utility Point. Haven't had much cause to deal with them, but haven't had any problems either.
The new deal that they are offering me seems to be quite competitive; the default variable tariff isn't so bad either.

Strangely enough, I am just coming to the end of my deal with Utility Point. Haven't had much cause to deal with them, but haven't had any problems either.
The new deal that they are offering me seems to be quite competitive; the default variable tariff isn't so bad either.
Thats good to know though MSE has removed their rating for them, it used to be good but have now had a lot of recent complaints that UP are blaming on Covid. At least they dont include a smart meter clause to get a good deal.
PS I see that they have a reward scheme, is it any good?

Last edited:
Thats good to know though MSE has removed their rating for them, it used to be good but have now had a lot of recent complaints that UP are blaming on Covid. At least they dont include a smart meter clause to get a good deal.
PS I see that they have a reward scheme, is it any good?
I have never used it. It looks reasonable but my preference is topcashback; which seems to offer good discounts all in one place.

They do have a refer-a-friend which says this
Hello I wanted to let you know that I’ve made such a good saving on my energy bills by switching to Utility Point, and I thought that you could too. Switching to them was really easy and I was supported every step of the way, plus we’ll receive £25.00 credit each! You’ll also get access to a range of benefits including up to 60% off on well-loved brands. Why not see how much you could save? And don’t forget to use my referral code below. Referral Code: Brown16788
If anyone wants to give me £25 that way, then you're welcome :)
I can probably rustle up a referrer code for topcashback as well 🥳

I have never used it. It looks reasonable but my preference is topcashback; which seems to offer good discounts all in one place.

They do have a refer-a-friend which says this

If anyone wants to give me £25 that way, then you're welcome :)
I can probably rustle up a referrer code for topcashback as well 🥳
I might take you up on both of those offers, I will let you know when the dust settles. The UP reward scheme interested me as it offers discounts in several places one of them being Wickes and I often use them but it gives no details until you sign up.

Last edited:
@BH I suspected that but they have been around for several years now so far less of a certain failure in a time of greater consumption unless their profit relied on commercial use.

:( I just checked and it looks like the best deal I can get will be £71 a year more with Utility point whoever they are and even Eon and British gas are now £1 a month cheaper than Bulb and £3 cheaper than Octopus.
Wow, Octopus is £100s dearer than my best providers.

I was being sarcastic. Any enterprise which cuts its profit margin too low in pursuit of custom is doomed to fail.
Unless they have massive uptake, or else rely in future years on customer inertia.

It got a small mention by Martin Lewis on tonights TV show, he says to do nothing until they tell you who you will be moved to but I think I will cancel my direct debit tomorrow as I am already in credit to prevent being robbed twice next month.

@Scrat I was surprised how much things have changed since I last did a comparison check, a total reshuffle as to who were offering the best deals.

but I think I will cancel my direct debit tomorrow as I am already in credit
I wouldn't. Someone on another forum in the same situation thought like that and then had a lot of trouble getting his refund.
When you kill the DD you break the authority for bank and company to deal with each other on your behalf - it's not a one way thing.

Back