Smart meters, less smart companies

I wouldn't. Someone on another forum in the same situation thought like that and then had a lot of trouble getting his refund.
When you kill the DD you break the authority for bank and company to deal with each other on your behalf - it's not a one way thing.
The DD is on 21st of the month so maybe I will hold off for now. Martin Lewis said there was no need to cancel as the credit would be passed to the new supplier but not to worry if you had already cancelled your DD. I hope he is right as on his site the general consensus in comments were for cancelling with several people saying that when they were switched before DD payments were still getting paid to their old defunct supplier and their credit was not passed on and it took them several months and a lot of hassle to get it back and had to get the ombudsman involved.

I received this e.mail from GNE this morning, I thought it might clarify the situation but.......................................

"
Thanks for being part of the Green Network Energy Family. We’d ❤️ you to stay!

Your current contract GNE Exclusive Green 12 Month Fix V5 will end on 18 March 2021. This means you are now in your renewal period, and you can switch to another GNE tariff or switch suppliers without paying any fees.

Please see the attached letter with information about renewal and our different tariffs, so we can help you consider your options for the future.

If you would like to renew, you can do this by logging into your online account. Alternatively, please call us on 0800 520 0202 with an up to date meter reading and we can discuss the best options for you going forward."

............................. :(

Last edited:
Good advice. I hate these companies who take another payment after you have given notice you are leaving, even when you are in credit, though. Avro did that.

Good advice. I hate these companies who take another payment after you have given notice you are leaving, even when you are in credit, though. Avro did that.
I just checked, I am £237 in credit and nothing whatsoever on the GNE website saying that they have gone bust just their best deals that I can have when I renew. I have a feeling that this is not going to go smoothly for me.

I just checked, I am £237 in credit and nothing whatsoever on the GNE website saying that they have gone bust just their best deals that I can have when I renew. I have a feeling that this is not going to go smoothly for me.
Their bustness was only announced on Wednesday. The systems that generate the website and your email will still be trucking along unchanged for a while until someone decides what to do and puts it into action.
Don't panic - you aren't going to lose your supplies and you will get your money back eventually.

If it was an airline or the builder who has half finished your new extension ... Yeah, panic :eek:

From my experience, the firm that takes over your account will take over your credit, so no need to worry. The DD will be irrelevant.

Several weeks stuck on an EDF standard tariff :thumbsdown:

Edit. EDF's cheapest deal is £196 more a year and forces a smart meter onto me. Utility Point now only third cheapest £119 increase per year no smart meter with Eon in second place with smart meter £110 increase and the unknown new kid on the block London Power the best, no smart meter but still £79 a year more than GNE.
2nd Edit. London Power are an offshoot of Octopus, very good rating on Trust pilot.
3rd Edit :mad: Stupid MSE offering me a deal thats only available on London.
So its get an Eon smart meter or go Utility Point who are getting slated by everyone recently for poor service and failing to pay back peoples credit.

Last edited:
That will eat into your credit! Yes, same happened to me, so I moved as soon as possible.

Is it a universal smart meter or a restricted one you get these days? At least you will not have to read the meter until you change again.

Beware of early cancellation charges too.

Is it a universal smart meter or a restricted one you get these days?
In theory it's second generation being fitted, but if you don't ask you might get palmed off with first gen one (if you were to get one fitted!).

Things may be looking up, I just had an e.mail from EDF.........................

"On 27 January 2021, Green Network Energy stopped trading and Ofgem (the industry regulator) has chosen EDF as your new energy supplier. We've already started supplying your energy and, great news, we guarantee all customers will see a price decrease versus their current tariff until at least 30 September 2021^."

Now I just have to stall them from fitting a smart meter until September, maybe there are some benefits from Covid though I suspect EDF may well sign me into a contract that lasts well beyond that date with a big cancellation charge.

They can't force you to have a smart meter. It might not be legal for them to discriminate against people who don't have smart meters.

I changed my mum’s tariff but remained with e.ON. In the T&Cs it stated she must allow a Smart Meter to be installed. They have tried a few times to contact her but she have never replied. Nothing has come if it.

@BH No but they can only offer the best deals to those willing to have one. A quick question that I am sure you can answer. I just took a couple of photos of my meters and e.mailed them to myself, a copy went to my sent folder but I received no e.mail so I then forwarded the e.mail to myself from the sent folder but still nothing in my inbox. Is that normal?

Edit. Forget that BH, for some reason they went straight to the deleted folder without showing up in my inbox so I have moved them back there and all is good.

Last edited:
@Wallace. I tried that before with Eon but they hounded me with calls and texts and said I would be moved onto another tariff if I did not arrange a date for installation, I picked a date as far ahead as possible and even then they failed to come twice and had to pay me compensation they hounded me again to book a third appointment so I chose a date a couple of days after my renewal date and moved to another supplier before it came.

I just took a couple of photos of my meters and e.mailed them to myself, a copy went to my sent folder but I received no e.mail so I then forwarded the e.mail to myself from the sent folder but still nothing in my inbox. Is that normal?
Give it time.

I get problems with sent folders syncing between different clients, but never on the same client. Before an email gets sent it will be in your outbox, after it gets sent it will be in your sent folder. If you sent it to yourself it will appear in your inbox eventually, unless the ISP decides it is suspicious.

Trog, email them and ask if it is 2nd gen. No harm in those.

No harm in those.
You realise all smart meters are able to disconnect your supply by remote control? Excuse me, but far too liable to error.

If they want to disconnect me (even by accident), they can damn well send a man to do it.

You realise all smart meters are able to disconnect your supply by remote control? Excuse me, but far too liable to error.

If they want to disconnect me (even by accident), they can damn well send a man to do it.
Ouch! Have an acorn. They have to send a man or woman first, anyway.

cute-cartoon-acorn-characters-vector-21971586.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back